New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
sailortoo

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by sailortoo »

Another new member - sailortoo.
First time owner of a 1940 91/30, and learning the basics by guess and by golly. Found this forum to pick brains.
First question is the super tight bayonet! I cannot mount it, and have read that the point of that was "put it on, and leave it on". Don't have any idea if that is true.
Second question is also bayonet oriented - claims that the resonance of the barrel is affected by the mounted bayonet because of the mounting style, supposed to be more accurate. I can't imagine having that "pig sticker" on the end of my fine rifle all the time.
Third, and last for now; I have tried to load using stripper clips, and find it just short of impossible to do so. I qualified back in the "good old days" with an M1 Garand, "M1 Thumb" and all. Stripper clips were slick and fast, never a problem (as long as you got your thumb out in time!). I have stripped down the ejector and interrupter, cleaned and remounted - still no luck. Any suggestions?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

kc9aop wrote:Hello. I posted on another thread before I found this one. I've just started collecting mil surp rifles and of course started with the Mosin. Found 3 on an auction for $119 each so I snapped them up!

First experience with cosmoline. Not so bad but these guns were caked. Got the head space gage and all is well.

I'm very interested in bolt action rifles. Don't have anything at all against the semi-auto. I'm just starting with bolt action. There are so many different rifles out there I can't imagine I'll ever run out of interesting guns to research and watch for.

I shoot the guns I buy. Nothing for a glass case (not yet anyway).

You will see a lot of me on this board!

Jim
Welcome to the board, you still need your first experiance with cosmoline, that stuff the commies use is good ol' grease, Cosmoline is our stuff. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Most of us shoot what we collect.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

sailortoo wrote:Another new member - sailortoo.
First time owner of a 1940 91/30, and learning the basics by guess and by golly. Found this forum to pick brains.
First question is the super tight bayonet! I cannot mount it, and have read that the point of that was "put it on, and leave it on". Don't have any idea if that is true.
Second question is also bayonet oriented - claims that the resonance of the barrel is affected by the mounted bayonet because of the mounting style, supposed to be more accurate. I can't imagine having that "pig sticker" on the end of my fine rifle all the time.
Third, and last for now; I have tried to load using stripper clips, and find it just short of impossible to do so. I qualified back in the "good old days" with an M1 Garand, "M1 Thumb" and all. Stripper clips were slick and fast, never a problem (as long as you got your thumb out in time!). I have stripped down the ejector and interrupter, cleaned and remounted - still no luck. Any suggestions?
Welcome to the board. The bayonets were matched and numbered to the rifles at the arsenal, however the importers rarely bother to keep them together. You don't need it on the rifle, yes the windage will be a bit off as the rifle was sighted in with the bayonet on it, but the Elby sight tool was made to correct this problem. You will likely have to spread open the bayonet's mounting socket a bit to get it to fit. The M1 uses the enblock clip, entire clip and cartridge package enters the rifle as a unit. The stripper clip is much more of a pain in the ass, at least Mosin clips are. Most of us use them for display only and just load rounds one at a time, it's easier, and nobody is shooting at us on the range.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
artyldr01

Post by artyldr01 »

Good Morning,

I was happily content for a decade with my M1, M1917 and M1911. I was something of a foreign weapon "snob." $90 dollar Russian rifles?! blah blah blah...PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!! I know own 14 and find them to be some of the most awe-inspiring weapons I own (along with a my couple of Lee-Enfields). I truly love these things, especially the un-refurbished "Finns" and one SCW I have. I have learned a great deal over the last year and hope to share it, but also have much still to learn.

I look forward to chatting soon!

CPT Niels Hansen
US Army
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

artyldr01 wrote:Good Morning,

I was happily content for a decade with my M1, M1917 and M1911. I was something of a foreign weapon "snob." $90 dollar Russian rifles?! blah blah blah...PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!! I know own 14 and find them to be some of the most awe-inspiring weapons I own (along with a my couple of Lee-Enfields). I truly love these things, especially the un-refurbished "Finns" and one SCW I have. I have learned a great deal over the last year and hope to share it, but also have much still to learn.

CPT Niels Hansen
US Army
Welcome aboard.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
sailortoo

Post by sailortoo »

JYD - Thank you for the educational reply - it is appreciated. As to single loose round loading - "Most of us use them for display only and just load rounds one at a time, it's easier, and nobody is shooting at us on the range - YET!" I guess having semi-autos with multiple detachable magazines makes a person a bit lazy, like almost all -auto anythings.
One new question for you: I have acquired (the translated) "The Official Soviet Mosin-Nagant Sniper Rifle Manual" not for the tactics training, but for the general handling of a 91/30. It raised the question of the Russian designation of a Mosin-Nagant Sniper Rifle, as opposed (I assume) to a plain-jane Infantry Rifle, as being Scope-mounted and bolt lever dropped (turned down). Am I missing something, or is it only the optics that are involved?
slayer213

Post by slayer213 »

Hi, guys. Just bought my first mosin about a month ago. Ive bought 4 more since then. Ive fallen in love with these rifles and I'm addicted. Thinking of buying a 1942 m91/30. Any thoughts?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Welcome slayer...and BUYBUYBUYBUYBUYBUY :biggrin: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

artyldr01 wrote:Good Morning,

CPT Niels Hansen
US Army
Welcome to the board, they do grow on you over time :) :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

sailortoo wrote:JYD - Thank you for the educational reply - it is appreciated. As to single loose round loading - "Most of us use them for display only and just load rounds one at a time, it's easier, and nobody is shooting at us on the range - YET!" I guess having semi-autos with multiple detachable magazines makes a person a bit lazy, like almost all -auto anythings.
One new question for you: I have acquired (the translated) "The Official Soviet Mosin-Nagant Sniper Rifle Manual" not for the tactics training, but for the general handling of a 91/30. It raised the question of the Russian designation of a Mosin-Nagant Sniper Rifle, as opposed (I assume) to a plain-jane Infantry Rifle, as being Scope-mounted and bolt lever dropped (turned down). Am I missing something, or is it only the optics that are involved?
They turn the bolt handle down, and add a scope and mount to the side of the rifle. In theory they tune the trigger and select a better than average shooter to turn into a sniper, but I think that part is likely crap, they used whatever rifle was coming down the line at the time. The Soviets were using massed numbers of snipers more than any other army, they mass produced the sniper rifles for them, the number of ex snipers that were turned back into 91/30's during refurbs seems to be endless sometimes.
Theodore Roosevelt
Vati66

Post by Vati66 »

Hello,
My name is Scott. I'm a new owner of 91/30. I'm not sure yet but I think I might have mosinitist!
TripleL

Post by TripleL »

Greetings - I never considered a rifle before as I've mainly focused on semi-auto pistols (Makarovs particularly) but I bought my first 91/30 this past weekend and I am absolutely happy that I did. As much as I've read to at least not be ignorant on my first purchase, and having experienced the joy of researching, chasing and bagging elusive Makarovs, I just know that there will a lot more to learn and enjoy from your learned forum members here. Glad to be a member.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Vati66 wrote:Hello,
My name is Scott. I'm a new owner of 91/30. I'm not sure yet but I think I might have mosinitist!
Welcome to the board Scott, it starts with one rifle , then one becomes two, then five, then fifty, then...... :twisted: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

TripleL wrote:Greetings - I never considered a rifle before as I've mainly focused on semi-auto pistols (Makarovs particularly) but I bought my first 91/30 this past weekend and I am absolutely happy that I did. As much as I've read to at least not be ignorant on my first purchase, and having experienced the joy of researching, chasing and bagging elusive Makarovs, I just know that there will a lot more to learn and enjoy from your learned forum members here. Glad to be a member.
Welcome to the board, we have a handgun forum here on the board also :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
awesomeinforensics

Post by awesomeinforensics »

Hello, I am new to the board. I purchased a Mosin Nagant this past week and heard about the forum from youtube channel Rockisland1913. I have a question already, what is the best way to remove cosmoline?
1925r Izhevsk ex Dragoon
1934 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
Winchester Model 1873 circa 1886
NRA Life Member

Gentlemen there are 2 "finks" among us!
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

welcome to the board i like the boiling water method best
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

awesomeinforensics wrote:Hello, I am new to the board. I purchased a Mosin Nagant this past week and heard about the forum from youtube channel Rockisland1913. I have a question already, what is the best way to remove cosmoline?
That would be my channel :) , Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Remove it from the metal with rags and bore solvent, or a soft bristle brush and a bucket of diesel fuel. From the wood you just wrap the stock tightly in newspaper, tie string around it so it stays wrapped, stick it in a dark plastic trash bag and set it on the dash of your car in the sun. The heat will cook out the grease, and oil. Lucky for you there is no cosmoline in that rifle, Cosmoline is our stuff, the product of a first world economy were cost is no object, the commies used plain grease and oil to preserve metal.
Theodore Roosevelt
conefree

Post by conefree »

New guy from SE PA here. I am a US Navy submarine veteran, former reactor operator, and veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom. Thank you all for the warm welcome. I made my first thread detailing my Mosin here: http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... =5&t=15522
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

conefree wrote:New guy from SE PA here. I am a US Navy submarine veteran, former reactor operator, and veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom. Thank you all for the warm welcome. I made my first thread detailing my Mosin here: http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... =5&t=15522
Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
mcsupersoldier

Post by mcsupersoldier »

Thanks for allowing me to be part of your forum. I have many Mosins and am anxious to find out more about them. Thanks again.