GunBroker crap

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
WeldonHunter

Re: GunBroker crap

Post by WeldonHunter »

soylentblue wrote:They operate under special rules because of how the CMP was created:
The Office of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) was created by the U.S. Congress as part of the 1903 War Department Appropriations Act. The original purpose was to provide civilians an opportunity to learn and practice marksmanship skills so they would be skilled marksmen if later called on to serve in the U.S. military.
Yeah I considered that angle but it still doesn't really address the purpose of the NICS check which I believe was to assure firearms don't get into the hands of people that aren't supposed to have them. I realize they're requiring a lot of checks in all this but it's still not the same as a face to face transfer with a NICS check, especially with all the blatant fraud these days. The same thing stated above "The original purpose was to provide civilians an opportunity to learn and practice marksmanship skills so they would be skilled marksmen if later called on to serve in the U.S. military." could be fulfilled by 01 FFL holders selling rifles online. Regardless I'm glad to see at there's at least one place you can buy a firearm online and have it shipped to your house without an FFL 03 or having to have some guy at a shop dig through the box like the old days even if you have to do provide a lot of proof of your identity. My FFL is a good guy and he only charges me $20 per transfer and that's up to 4 rifles, sometimes even if I have more than 4 rifles. Most times it's $20 per sheet and I never order only a few. My transfers average $6 per rifle.
soylentblue

Re: GunBroker crap

Post by soylentblue »

It looks like it's only $200 to get a 01 FFL - Maybe I should become my own dealer. If I changed, say... $20 per transfer, I'd be able to attract a lot of business since it's $35-$50 here. Then I can use 100% of the profit from transfers to expand my own collection.