Westinghouse on GB right now...HOLY SHHHH

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Re: Westinghouse on GB right now...HOLY SHHHH

Post by Miller Tyme »

bb91 wrote:
Miller Tyme wrote:
bb91 wrote:quote]

What about the Finnish capture PU? So rare you forgot to mention it!Geez PU's get no respect these days! :lol:

The question was has any MN ever gone for more than $3000.00+, Finn captured PU's can be gotten for between $2500/2800.
Where? :D

The last Finnish capture PU I saw for outright sale was in 2011 for $3000 plus shipping, I can't say if it sold for that.

Seems that since there are less of them they should be worth more than the more common Finnish used PE's and PEM's, maybe we are taking into consideration the optics (that are added stateside) for the latter that are harder to find and more expensive than for the PU, I would suggest that the base rifle as imported should cost more than its predecessors.

The Finns captured very few sniper rifles , or should I say very few captured sniper rifles where turned over to the army. That being said none of the rifles catured where imported to the USA with there scopes, (they came in just like the Samco Yugo refurbs) so any scopes where added over here. Now there are thousands of PU scopes available to restore the PU version, but PE's and PEM's with the correct mounts and bases are a very rare bird, therefore they command a much higher price.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I think Marcus had a finn PU for less then that. Or was that Marcus' that you are talking about? :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

desdem12 wrote:I think Marcus had a finn PU for less then that. Or was that Marcus' that you are talking about? :D

Marcus is one of them, Finn PU's just don't command the price of PE's or PEM's, probably because there where so many produced compaired to PE's & PEM's.
bb91

Post by bb91 »

desdem12 wrote:I think Marcus had a finn PU for less then that. Or was that Marcus' that you are talking about? :D
Hey Des, yes the one I was talking about the one Marcus had listed on the Gunboards trader.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I saw that one and he had some on Gb I think a few months back as well. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Miller Tyme wrote:

Marcus is one of them, Finn PU's just don't command the price of PE's or PEM's, probably because there where so many produced compaired to PE's & PEM's.
Miller Tyme, I do understand that reasoning about the production quantites of the PE and PEM snipers as compared to overall PU sniper production, however a more apples to apples comparison so to speak, again it seems (at least to me) that the base rifle, a Finnish Captured PU should command a higher price than the PE or PEM also again optics withheld because in my thinking this is where the dollars come in.

From my reading of the Finnish captured rifles that were imported to the US a very slim few were PU sniper rifles? What am I missing here?

Sorry to get off topic from the original post but this does intrigue me and I'm really curious as to what the market value of these rifles is in general and to the reasoning behind it.

I suppose in reality that so few are sold openly that it would be entirely impossible to gage?
bb91

Post by bb91 »

desdem12 wrote: I think a few months back as well. :D
Dang, I must have missed those? :vsad: Maybe it was a good thing! :roll: :lol:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Remember that stone cold new looking NEW that davesstuff1 bought on Gunbroker for 1000.00? It was a good deal I'd say. It looked unfired! I think it might be in the Showcase.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

bb91 wrote:
Miller Tyme wrote:

Miller Tyme, I do understand that reasoning about the production quantites of the PE and PEM snipers as compared to overall PU sniper production, however a more apples to apples comparison so to speak, again it seems (at least to me) that the base rifle, a Finnish Captured PU should command a higher price than the PE or PEM also again optics withheld because in my thinking this is where the dollars come in.

From my reading of the Finnish captured rifles that were imported to the US a very slim few were PU sniper rifles? What am I missing here?

Sorry to get off topic from the original post but this does intrigue me and I'm really curious as to what the market value of these rifles is in general and to the reasoning behind it.

I suppose in reality that so few are sold openly that it would be entirely impossible to gage?
Not disputing the numbers captured, all I am saying is collectors pay more for PE's and PEMs than they do for the PU's. Just because something is rarer doesn't mean it costs more, case in point, Czech VZ54/91 sniper rifles are rare, with an estimated production of less than 4000, while PE sniper production totals are over 54,160 between 1932-1938. Original VZ54/91 sell for about $2500-$2800 , while Original PE's start at $3500 and go up. They demand more because they are sought after by more collectors than VZ54/91's, even though more than 10x as many where produced.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

At this rate, if the gray blanket ever gets ahold of a complete authentic M1907 carbine may God help us hold onto our hats. There will be a storm a brewin!:cool: