Spam can pricing

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
BenedictGomez

Re: Spam can pricing

Post by BenedictGomez »

Longcolt44 wrote:One thing you might be running in to with FedEx is you might be trying to ship from a franchise store. I ship from a FedEx or UPS hubs. The franchise stores have different rules and regulations than the hub not to mention the franchise stores charge huge prices.
I confirmed this with UPS, so many FedEx is the same (i.e. you cant ship ammo from a "UPS Store", but you can ship ammo if you take it direct to a real UPS center).
Ram48

Post by Ram48 »

Just picked up a can of Russian from 75 at the Metrolina gun show for $90
God, Guns and Guts made America free, Lets Keep all Three.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good price.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

That's a great price in the current environment :thumbsup:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
cobber2

Post by cobber2 »

Unfortunately AIM Surplus is sold out of the Russian :spam2: cans now. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I just ordered a crates from SG Ammo for $203 shipped. This wont last long.

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/762x54r
Kollaa kestää
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

Dang. That probably won't be there long.

Its odd that some people are dropping their price on this stuff a little or just holding it same every time they get more in stock. It seems to be selling like hotcakes.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

m1guy wrote:Dang. That probably won't be there long.

Its odd that some people are dropping their price on this stuff a little or just holding it same every time they get more in stock. It seems to be selling like hotcakes.
They showed over 110 crates and 20 single spam cans when I placed my order yesterday and now there are all sold out. Their UPS man will have a heavy truck today. :shock:

I like SG Ammo, they do hold their prices at good prices even when others jack theirs up. They also ship fast. Last year I got a "few" cases of Remington brass 5.56 for only $280 a case of 1k. I now wish I had more so I buy ammo when I have money and its a good price.
Kollaa kestää
BenedictGomez

Post by BenedictGomez »

Nothing is going to get better until people stop buying ammo just because, "ZOMG there's AMMO for sale!!!!!".

This ammo shortage has been a self-filling prophecy for quite some time now.

The shelves at Cabelas yesterday (and everyday I'm sure) were mobbed with people looking for ammo, and I overhead some people say they come in multiple times per week buying. They dont even need it, they're buying it because it has become this Willy Wonka sort of thing where there's some psychological "buyer feelgood" feeling for "finding a score" of something.

Honestly, the last time I can remember buyer psychology most similar to this was with Beanie Babies about 12 years ago, only rather than men that mostly afflicted women. I knew women that would memorize different stores delivery schedules and arrive accordingly, the EXACT same thing guys are doing with ammo now. I've even heard of guys buying multiple 525 packs of 22lr ammo, and they DONT EVEN OWN a 22 caliber rifle/pistol! :no2:
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

When it comes to ammo, buy it cheap, stack it deep.

I have a good stash of ammo but my 7.62x54 is hurting from all the shooting I have been doing so it was time to buy.

I don't think the 7.62x54 is going to get any cheaper so buy it when you can afford it and it is a good price.

Ammo sales are slowing down at the local gun shops and they have a decent supply but walmart shelves are still only full of shotgun shells.
Kollaa kestää
BostonMike

Post by BostonMike »

Shipping ammo to MA is....difficult. So LGS usually the only source. Not uncommon to see spam cans $179 and up.

Finding surplus x54 here has been tougher lately. Now all I find is commercial stuff. Every time I go to an LGS I like to buy a couple packs of surplus. Haven't in months.

Good think I stocked up.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
mahduk45044

Post by mahduk45044 »

This ammo shortage is getting freakin' old! You and I know there are several people are just buying it so they can post it on armslist.com or something like it at an exorbitant markup. I was at an LGS recently and they actually had the bricks of 500 .22's. FOR $50!! Nope. Not when I was able to get it for less than half that a year ago. It's enough to piss you off good and proper.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you...
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

$50 for a brick of .22LR is a rip, but even that has come down some. I saw some for $70 or so, if you could find them.
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

I have done vented numerous times in other posts about the ammo shortage and the cost of 22lr ammo!!!!!!!!!!!! Which is insane!!

Time to get on my soapbox!! :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:

I have truly begun to believe the ammo makers CCI---Federal---Remington etc. Are purposely causing some of the shortages to move their prices up

Just like gas---food basically all companies are raising prices when they get the chance.It all boils back to 2008 and all that crazy sh$t that went on!!

I work in the packaging industry I make cartons for everything from 30oz Goldfish Crackers--Coors Beer--Cascade,Sun,Finish dishwashing detergents---Toothpaste just to name a few.

Here is what has happened in the last 5 years all companies have reduced the amount of product in their packaging everything has gotten smaller but also on the flip side companies also raised their prices even though they reduced the amount in the package.(most people don't even notice the package size or net weight is smaller) The companies expect my company to give them a 1 1/2% to a 2% price reduction in carton prices every year---THEY DEMAND IT---So from 2009-June 2013 I did not get 1 penny raise at work.

I think the ammo companies realize they have a product that is in very high demand with the possibility of in the near future serious regulations and taxes just like the tobacco companies.The very upper management at the ammo companies have decided to make the future profits right now.

This is my opinion and I am sure some of you think I am off my rocker but it is something to think about.

All right off the :soapbox: :soapbox:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You can bet your ass I noticed the smaller packaging, and the higher prices, the little @#%!$@^ &^#@!#*@#*$@ #@$! UP THE #$$ miserable #@$!^%#'n #@$!'s !!!!!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

m1guy wrote:$50 for a brick of .22LR is a rip, but even that has come down some. I saw some for $70 or so, if you could find them.
A brick was going for $100 at the gun show I went to in April...and people were buying :big shock:.
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

I agree with the "buy it cheap & stack it deep" mentality on this 54R.

I think new ammo will come down a little more. I think the people buying it all up now are just wasting their money. They are not going to ban ammunition. It might be taxed more or regulated more some day, but I still think new ammo will come down. It may not drop to what it was pre-2008, or even pre SHTF last year, but some of it (I imagine 22LR for one thing) will drop more.

With the surplus 54R, on the other hand, I don't really see that happening. It would surprise me if it is ever any cheaper than it is right now.
BenedictGomez

Post by BenedictGomez »

m1guy wrote: I think the people buying it all up now are just wasting their money..............With the surplus 54R, on the other hand, I don't really see that happening. It would surprise me if it is ever any cheaper than it is right now.
Agree on your first point, disagree on your second point.

In fact, I am so far WAY out of consensus on this issue that I may as well be on my own deserted island. I think there will be an "ammo crash" eventually because of this recent unprecedented nonsense, simply examining historical economic examples of other market bubbles with other commodities as precedent. And this one potentially could rank alongside the worst because it's based more on fear than any legitimate logic, which tends to precipitate a harder landing.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" - George Santayana
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I think the surplus ammo will stay where it is price wise but in the future will go up. There is only so much ammo and the importers will not flood the market and drive down the prices.

As for the commercial made ammo, the makers were already running wide open before this last panic started and are still running around the clock. It will take along time for them to restock all their warehouses, distributors and stores. One more inkling of gun control and the panic will buy up the small reserve of ammo pretty quick. Supply and demand dictates price will stay up on this ammo for the foreseeable future. Homeland security, the military and police depts. also are buying a major amount of ammo and the makers will always supply them before selling it on the open market.
Kollaa kestää
ZKend

Post by ZKend »

I just picked up two cans of '53 or '54 Albanian brass cased stuff from the guy I bought my 91/38 from for $160.