New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mace windew wrote:Here's Johnny!

New guy here. representing the great state of Ohio, by way of Cincinnati. Been gun collecting for 24 years, mil surp collecting for about 7 years (and love every minute of it).
You would be someplace near Longcolt44, Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: I recently came in contact with an Izzie 1947 M44.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Araneae wrote:Hello,
As the subjust states, this rifle is what I wanted and the price was $150 for a 91/30 that a buddy's cousin wanted as trade. I will also say that another buddy is selling an 91/30 for $150 sans bayonet. I will post pics of before and after of stock refinishing and proposed upgrades... ASAP!
The receiver and bolt match, but the butt stock and floorplate do not. Honestly, I don't care as long as headspace and firing pin are GTG.

-Mosin Noob,
Richard
This is the new members thread Richard :) I almost welcomed you to the board again :lol: If that 91/30 is in fact a 1947 dated rifle, and not a sloppy 1943 date or 1944 then grab it now. very few 91/30's were produced in 1947, and most all of them were intended for sniper use. Some will now be ex snipers, others just rifles that were not used as snipers. Either way that is a date that is so rare production would tiny at best. Do not refinish it, that will destroy any value to a collector that it would have, and keep the upgrades to things that can be easily put back to rights. Please remember that the policy's of this board are preservationist.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Painter

Post by Painter »

Just bought my first 91/30 Mosin about 2 hours ago. Still drenched in Cosmoline. Looks like it was never unpacked.
Very excited to get it cleaned up and check it out. Big WW1 and WW2 buff. Cool piece of history. Next step is to
check out disassembly and cleaning info.
Painter
Celt

Post by Celt »

Excellent! Welcome aboard Painter. Be sure to post up your new treasure in the mosin forum. Any questions, just ask, great group of guys here (well, most of them!)
:thumbsup:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Painter wrote:Just bought my first 91/30 Mosin about 2 hours ago. Still drenched in Cosmoline. Looks like it was never unpacked.
Very excited to get it cleaned up and check it out. Big WW1 and WW2 buff. Cool piece of history. Next step is to
check out disassembly and cleaning info.
Painter
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Monson

Post by Monson »

Hi all, glad to find this forum. Looks like a lot of good info here.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Monson wrote:Hi all, glad to find this forum. Looks like a lot of good info here.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
WaRuss

Post by WaRuss »

I just joined this evening. Early last month, I purchased a 1932 M91/30 rifle built in Ishevsk at Cabela's. It has a hex receiver and matching markings on the receiver, bolt, magazine and shoulder plate.
I shot it once at a range after having cleaned it inside and out. I must have missed some cosmoline in the chamber, because the bolt started sticking after 2-3 rounds. It is at a gunsmith having everything checked out, especially the head space. When it gets back, I'll take photos of it to post.

WaRuss
Washington State
WaRuss

Because life is short and we should enjoy it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

WaRuss wrote:I just joined this evening. Early last month, I purchased a 1932 M91/30 rifle built in Ishevsk at Cabela's. It has a hex receiver and matching markings on the receiver, bolt, magazine and shoulder plate.
I shot it once at a range after having cleaned it inside and out. I must have missed some cosmoline in the chamber, because the bolt started sticking after 2-3 rounds. It is at a gunsmith having everything checked out, especially the head space. When it gets back, I'll take photos of it to post.

WaRuss
Washington State
Welcome to the board, your rifle sounds like it is suffering from "sticky bolt" a very common Mosin problem that comes from a chamber that still has some crap it it that binds the fired case into the chamber when the rifle starts to heat up. Do a search on the board for "sticky bolt", there is an easy fix.
Theodore Roosevelt
Bluedeath

Post by Bluedeath »

Greetings from a Newbie. I am a hopelessly addicted collector and have been for years. I previously owned an Izhevsk 91/30 and a Tula M44 and was totally content with those two examples. My local gun shop showed me a mint Polish M44 which I purchased and then I became hooked on trying to collect the rest of the Mosin carbine family. Since then I purchased a 91/38, an M38 (Izhevsk) and a Chinese T53 (which kept me busy for hours cleaning rust and restoring the stock). As soon as I get home from a long road trip, I plan on posting pics of the receiver markings of each carbine. I've already learned a ton reading this forum and appreciate all of the expert postings. Now looking for a 91/59.
qtrhoss

Post by qtrhoss »

Hello all;
Well, I bought one. Wasn't planning to, but there it was all lonely laying on an old church pew at a garage sale. What else could I do but tat it home. My first Mosin, and I really don't know much about them. Been doing a bit of reading today. stamped 1925, five line, as I understand is what you call a Tusla built gun?
None of the numbers match as far as I can tell. I was able to do a complete dissemble and cleaning. I think it still had trench mud under the butt plate. Wish me luck as I venture forth with my new addiction.

I just tried to attach a pick of the stampings with date ans serial number, but first try was rejected for file type, then changed that and was rejected because too big???
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Bluedeath wrote:Greetings from a Newbie. I am a hopelessly addicted collector and have been for years. I previously owned an Izhevsk 91/30 and a Tula M44 and was totally content with those two examples. My local gun shop showed me a mint Polish M44 which I purchased and then I became hooked on trying to collect the rest of the Mosin carbine family. Since then I purchased a 91/38, an M38 (Izhevsk) and a Chinese T53 (which kept me busy for hours cleaning rust and restoring the stock). As soon as I get home from a long road trip, I plan on posting pics of the receiver markings of each carbine. I've already learned a ton reading this forum and appreciate all of the expert postings. Now looking for a 91/59.
Welcome to the board, sounds like a great collection on the way, good luck with the 91/59 search :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

qtrhoss wrote:Hello all;
Well, I bought one. Wasn't planning to, but there it was all lonely laying on an old church pew at a garage sale. What else could I do but tat it home. My first Mosin, and I really don't know much about them. Been doing a bit of reading today. stamped 1925, five line, as I understand is what you call a Tusla built gun?
None of the numbers match as far as I can tell. I was able to do a complete dissemble and cleaning. I think it still had trench mud under the butt plate. Wish me luck as I venture forth with my new addiction.

I just tried to attach a pick of the stampings with date ans serial number, but first try was rejected for file type, then changed that and was rejected because too big???
Welcome to the board, the pics have to be sized down to at least 640x480 before they will post on the board. Sounds like you have a Tula, either an updated dragoon, or original dragoon rifle, maybe even a M1891 long rifle, pics will tell. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
qtrhoss

Post by qtrhoss »

ok, I re sized the pic, Hope it comes through ok. Maybe someone can tell me what I have here, or can tell me what more you need to know, or see.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

You have a nice Tula but without more pics its hard to tell exactly what. You need a pic of the whole gun ant the other markings if any.

Oh, welcome.
Kollaa kestää
Boris Badenov

Post by Boris Badenov »

Got my 1st Mosin Nagant 1942 M91/30 Izhevsk this week, caked in cosmoline! HaHa! Got it cleaned & looking forward to going to the range this Friday for it's first firing in 71 years!
1940 Tula M91/30 Laminate
1942 Izhevsk M91/30
1943 Izhevsk M44
1942 VTK M39
1937 Sako SK.Y. M28/30
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Boris Badenov wrote:Got my 1st Mosin Nagant 1942 M91/30 Izhevsk this week, caked in cosmoline! HaHa! Got it cleaned & looking forward to going to the range this Friday for it's first firing in 71 years!
Best check the headspace and firing pin protrusion before you get to wear your new prize.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Boris Badenov

Post by Boris Badenov »

Longcolt44 wrote:
Boris Badenov wrote:Got my 1st Mosin Nagant 1942 M91/30 Izhevsk this week, caked in cosmoline! HaHa! Got it cleaned & looking forward to going to the range this Friday for it's first firing in 71 years!
Best check the headspace and firing pin protrusion before you get to wear your new prize.
I did tear the bold completely apart to clean it. It did come with the tool to adjust the firing pin & I think I adjust it correctly, but I don't know about checking the headspace. How do I do that?
Thanks, Clinton
1940 Tula M91/30 Laminate
1942 Izhevsk M91/30
1943 Izhevsk M44
1942 VTK M39
1937 Sako SK.Y. M28/30
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

qtrhoss wrote:ok, I re sized the pic, Hope it comes through ok. Maybe someone can tell me what I have here, or can tell me what more you need to know, or see.
Thanks
Nice '25 Tula markings, but without a full rifle pic I can't say if it's a M1891, or dragoon, or ex dragoon. Chances are very high that it's an ex dragoon M91/30.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Have fun :), and it was grease, not cosmoline, cosmoline is what our stuff used, they commies were too cheap for it. :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt