Other Military surplus rifles

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Greasemonkey

Re: Other Military surplus rifles

Post by Greasemonkey »

Swiss, Spanish(only FR 8s for some reason :vconfused: ), Egyptian, or any SKS fits the bill for me. :D OK, truthfully, if it goes BANG, it fit's the bill :lol: All this and more because of one lowly Yugoslavian SKS I bought cause it was cheap. I won't even start with the Mausers, Finnish Mosins and others.
catcracker wrote:Good points JYD and Buckeye.

I am so new at this, I have to learn about all these differnt types of rifles one at a time, before I can even consider getting one. I too have to be picky of what I get, due to budget....among other things. (checking Man card expiration date)

My first gun show is this weekend. Columbus Ohio. I hope to get a Swiss K31. Second choice, is a Romanian M1969 Training rifle. I saw pics and threads about them on this forum. They looked really cool. Then its back to the Mosin Nagants. Maybe I will get another model, since the only model I have now are the 91/30s,

I guess that answers the thread question,
catcracker,
It''s never to late, just before you jump all over something or decide your collecting path, research the heck out of it. Ask questions, it really pays off, I really wish I had people(like the members here) to ask through my years of collecting, and I'm still learning. Believe me, nothing sucks worse than finding out you over paid for a rifle you wanted badly, and then find out it's not complete or some jackwagon altered it. The alteration would have been seen by a more knowledgeable person, but not a person who was more or less unfamiliar with it. It was a hard lesson for me, but knowledge is power(there is a great deal of knowledge here) and you have the control, no shame in walking away from an over priced or questionable item. One other thing I have learned, if you miss the one your wanting, just wait and a much better example or one slightly cheaper will show up at some point. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

:pointup: NIce :biggrin: :biggrin:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

pacolo90 wrote:What do you guys speculate will be future milsurp collectibles if any?
In time as the imports dry up, we will be back to what we were doing before 1986, trading milsurps within the collector community. The bolt rifle era ended 60 years ago, the flow of imports the BATFE will allow into the country has already slowed due to lack of eligible arms overseas more than anything. We can't import arms from some country's and others are running out, or are out, in time all the surplus ammo will be used up, all the bolt rifles vanished into collections. Collectors will kick the bucket, their collections will end up for sale, and turn up at shows were we will look them over and recall the days when this or that was only $100. It's inevitable.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacolo90

Post by pacolo90 »

That makes sense... Even if our old M16A2s are made into only semi auto for the civilian market once they get phased out, they would probably be quite pricey, that's if we don't sell them off to some other countries' military first.
"If guns were banned, I'd sure think twice before using one to commit a crime, said no criminal, ever" - unknown
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

More likely they would just be destroyed as were tens of thousands of Garands, and M1 Carbines during the Clinton era.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacolo90

Post by pacolo90 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:More likely they would just be destroyed as were tens of thousands of Garands, and M1 Carbines during the Clinton era.
:very mad:
"If guns were banned, I'd sure think twice before using one to commit a crime, said no criminal, ever" - unknown
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's our tax dollars at work.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

After Mosins....I love American. But they are so expensive.

I have a collection of maybe 10 Revolutionary War Muskets (British, French, and Ameriacan) and a few from the War of 1812. But I had to quite years ago because of the prices. I got into Mosins then other countries, but My M1's and 1903"s are really my favorite rifles. My favotire to shoot is the M1 Garand. Just a pleasure. I also like firing the Mausers also.

I have most of the "players" of WWII, except the Japanese. I don't know why except I haven't found a really nice example of an Arasaka yet. I need to correct that ..... I guess.

Dolk
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The problem as I see it catcracker, is that there is a false sense of success in one's collection unless you have tens of dozens of rifles. I don't believe this. Pictures of a bazillion this or that and the hope of someday acquiring enough to brag about and then realizing that the day will never come when you will actually be satisfied. "If I only had this Mosin, or that Garand." Or "all I have is 5 Mosins." Or having 10 people tell you to "buy em all!" Or the #1 comment around here that bothers me most often given to newer guys-"I don't waste my time on refurbs because they will never be collectible or valuable." B U L L C O R N I say. If you are able to buy just 1 refurbished 91/30 rifle in the next year, and agree with the RMNF idea of preserving it for future generations, then I say dive in, have fun, and please feel valued around here.:P
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I can prove that even the common refurbs are increasing in value. My first Mosin was a 1943 Izhevsk 91/30, excellent bore, matching(forced) and I paid 59.95 plus shipping. To anyone who would offer me 300.00 for it today, would be met with a answer of declined. So the value of this has increased considerably, at least to me personally.:P who knows, the day may come when I would really get such an offer. Maybe not, but it doesn't really matter.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

It is nice to have some of the top of the line stuff but i am with BD :pointup: I am happy to get what i have even if it is not perfect. It is neat to have a few off rifles that don't get the press. I absolutely LOVE The refurbs, for several reasons. They are what hooked me. Classic looks and everyone a different one. I would collect them if they went down in price ( :crossedfingers: ) The key is to collect for yourself and make your self happy. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
pacolo90

Post by pacolo90 »

desdem12 wrote:It is nice to have some of the top of the line stuff but i am with BD :pointup: I am happy to get what i have even if it is not perfect. It is neat to have a few off rifles that don't get the press. I absolutely LOVE The refurbs, for several reasons. They are what hooked me. Classic looks and everyone a different one. I would collect them if they went down in price ( :crossedfingers: ) The key is to collect for yourself and make your self happy. :thumbsup:
Well said :thumbsup: i am happy with what i have, it's just that i want more for myself... not because someone says so :) refurbs are great!
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

By the replys above, it looks like I am on the right path. I do only get the ones that "speak to me". And I do understand its not a race for the most. I just kick myself for missing the boat all those years ago. Then again, looking back, I did have other things on my mind. Kids, military, career, school, etc. So maybe this is my time.
Look out collectors. Here I come.
:biggrin:
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

I do like a bargin. :brolleyes: That being said, I've only shelled out a lot of cash for very few rifles. $300 is usually my max, however I like those $100 deals Especially those $100 ones from that pesky country that battled with Russia :Finland: As your being satisfied with just one. Sure, but when you see a deal, and know it's a good deal, I say grab it. Then again, who want's an old beat up, piece of junk Russian rifle that got all changed by another country that only made 30,000 of them and put them through 4 wars...........for $100 :brolleyes: :brolleyes: :brolleyes:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I has to be something special to get me to shell out more than a few hundred bucks, and most such rifles I have done so to get have names starting with US Springfield model .........:)
Theodore Roosevelt
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Buying them is the first step, buying keepers or buying right the second. Ultimately it comes down to being able to hang on to what you get for the long haul and through any bad times.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I bought in the 80's and 90's when prices were much easier to take than today, then I bought again in the mid 2000's because I saw the writing on the wall concerning Mosins, . Current value trends seem to be proving me right again on that score.
Theodore Roosevelt