the things you read

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Mike

Re: the things you read

Post by Mike »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:A hidden mason jar full of shine :) What's wrong with cast iron cookware, I like the way food tastes when I fry it in a cast iron pan :) Heats even also.
Most of my cooking is done in antique US made cast iron, cooks better than any modern pans. :mrgreen:
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I am always looking over the cast iron pots at the flea markets, good deals are to be had.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mike

Post by Mike »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I am always looking over the cast iron pots at the flea markets, good deals are to be had.
I've noticed lately a lot of people are getting real proud of their cast iron in the bigger flea markets, the best deals are to be had in the small country ones.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I always look for the rusty pots, rust cleans up, and the pots can be reseasoned. Sometimes I get lucky and people sell them to us as scrap.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I'm lucky. I work in a foundry and every few years they make a run of skillits from a pattern one of the guys made. Usually just to use up a little iron at the end of a run. First come first serve on those. :D
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good deal, what kind of design? Pic?
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I'll dig one out and take a photo. Just a standard 10 inch or so design
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I always look for the rusty pots, rust cleans up, and the pots can be reseasoned. Sometimes I get lucky and people sell them to us as scrap.
My last couple were seriously rusty, they're now the best I have.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I try not to get riled up by bubba, but I just read a want ad that did just that to me
And since the thread was 'the things you read' I figured i'd share.

WTB: Moisin nagant
I'm looking to buy a beat up old moisin rifle for a project gun. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just so it works and shoots and is all there. I'm willing to pay $75, you can buy these things brand new for $100. So not paying that for a rough one.
I don't want to hear sob story about how historic your rusty crappy looking termite chewed rifle is. I'm not collecting this and won't pay crazy price for junk just because it is old. I'll be chopping the stock and wood anyway, so why pay nutty money for a rifle I'm only gonna use 70% of.

Oh well. I hope this idiot gets no response. I wish I could put an ad in under his saying I would pay $20 more than his price for one of those 'junk rifles'
Last edited by racerguy00 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Like to send him 70% of a shell. :popgun:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Or better yet a shell that is 70% more than it should be :(
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I want to know what the difference between a rifle's stock and wood is.
This ad was in a 'town classifieds' flier for a place not far from me, so I couldn't post a response or anything.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Properly it's called a stock, some people call it wood, not every stock is made of wood, some are plastic. Buttstock for the rear portion that goes against your shoulder, forend for the part you grip with your non trigger hand while firing, and handguard for the bit that attaches on top of the barrel ( not found on most sporting rifles)
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I surely would not respond to an add where a guy is insulting me before he even meets you...If people would be able to respond he would get negative action i am sure. Just reinforces what JYD says that the bubba types are straight jack ass ass holes...excuse my language.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What's wrong with your language? Far nicer than what I just called him, it's probably anatomically impossible for him to do as I suggested anyway, and his mother might not like the other thing, but I am sure he would enjoy providing the service to other men I suggested as a third alternative.
Theodore Roosevelt
notabiker

Post by notabiker »

jonnyboy091373 wrote:made in france? hey, at least you would know it wouldn't have been used. Lol. something to do with the french not fighting...
it would have been dropped one time. :tongue:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The French have had their ups and downs, most of the downs due to piss poor leadership, not the bravery of the French soldier. During the Great War they took an uncommonly brutal punishing, most of a generation of young men killed.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

desdem12 wrote:Like to send him 70% of a shell. :popgun:

Why only 70%? I'd be very generous and give him the whole shell. Complete with manual insertion. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ah! Vampire staking style....I like it :devil2:
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Ah! Vampire staking style....I like it :devil2:

Well besides being a babba he's an idiotic smarmy tool and deserves no less. :devil2: