new to site and just bought my first Mosin-Nagant

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
WeldonHunter

Re: new to site and just bought my first Mosin-Nagant

Post by WeldonHunter »

Wriz wrote:I have been away for a bit but I do have a question. the guy I went to the range with I guess was talking about how my bolt would "stick" at the 45 degree point and two of the shells did split a little. the shells where the surplus rounds I bought with the gun. the point is they told him that the head spacing might be a bit off and that's why it was "sticking" and split the two shells. the question is are they right? or should I just keep shooting it? I have not bought the gauges but I need to sell a few things so I can get them. also is "fixing" the spacing possible? If so how would you do this?
What are the numbers on base of the shells? Some of the older 40s ammo that's being sold now tends to cause hard extraction and will split at the neck and some even worse. I've experienced this myself. I've also had newer ammo split at the neck too. Headspace hasn't been the cause with any of the rifles this has happened with. I have the whole set of gauges. All of my rifles and my shooting buddy's rifles pass both field and no go headspace checks. If by chance the headspace is off usually swaping the bolt head corrects it from what I've been told. Pictures of the splits would be good to see.
ModelAUZI

Post by ModelAUZI »

:beek: :beek: :beek: :beek: Now that's nice. I have yet to find a Dragoon or Ex. :vsad: :vsad: :vsad:
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
- Ted Nugent
Wriz

Post by Wriz »

WeldonHunter wrote:
Wriz wrote:I have been away for a bit but I do have a question. the guy I went to the range with I guess was talking about how my bolt would "stick" at the 45 degree point and two of the shells did split a little. the shells where the surplus rounds I bought with the gun. the point is they told him that the head spacing might be a bit off and that's why it was "sticking" and split the two shells. the question is are they right? or should I just keep shooting it? I have not bought the gauges but I need to sell a few things so I can get them. also is "fixing" the spacing possible? If so how would you do this?
What are the numbers on base of the shells? Some of the older 40s ammo that's being sold now tends to cause hard extraction and will split at the neck and some even worse. I've experienced this myself. I've also had newer ammo split at the neck too. Headspace hasn't been the cause with any of the rifles this has happened with. I have the whole set of gauges. All of my rifles and my shooting buddy's rifles pass both field and no go headspace checks. If by chance the headspace is off usually swaping the bolt head corrects it from what I've been told. Pictures of the splits would be good to see.

I will take a picture of the two that cracked. but the sticking did happen with the silver bear ammo I bought from the range.
1927 Mosin-Nagant ex-Dragoon
Marlin 25N
Ruger 10 .22
Mossberg 500

U.S. Amry Ranger 3rd battalion <---My Bro R.P.W.
Wriz

Post by Wriz »

ok here is a picture of the casings that split. they look like every one else splits.

Marlin 25N
Ruger 10 .22
Mossberg 500

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, the common situation with this ammo, it's not your rifle, it's the ammo. Not a serious problem, but is irritating, and can direct some gas into the receiver and into your face so wear the shooting glasses.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Wriz

Post by Wriz »

yeah I wear safety glasses when I shoot. so should i do anything with the sticky bolt or just deal with it?
Marlin 25N
Ruger 10 .22
Mossberg 500

WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Wriz wrote:yeah I wear safety glasses when I shoot. so should i do anything with the sticky bolt or just deal with it?
If this is the older ammo 40s-50s surplus, the sticky bolt is most likely because of this ammo. That's why I asked what the numbers are on the bottom of the cases. The headstamp. The older 40s and 50s stuff seems to cause hard extraction in no matter what gun you use it in. We've had this happen in a number of rifles and as soon as you switch ammo it is gone. I did this to test the theory and loaded 5 rounds of the 188/47 I have on strippers. It started to stick on the second round. I then loaded 5rds of newer surplus, 60/85 and the problem imediately went away. Same with other rifles. Just make sure the chamber is nice and clean. Otherwise it's just the way this ammo is in my experience.