NATO 7.62 with a mosin?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Ironnewt

Re: NATO 7.62 with a mosin?

Post by Ironnewt »

Simo wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:.303 Enfields were made in the millions during two world wars and in at least five countries I recall off the top of my head, they are around, and not that expensive unless it's something like a No5 carbine, you should be able to find a WW2 dated No4 in the $250-$300 range, sometimes less. WW1 date No1 MKIII* rifles run around $300-$350 unless they are beat to death. Only downside is you will have to reload for them as commercial ammo is as expensive as the 7.62x51mm, and surplus is getting rare.
and some commercial manufacturers use cases with to thin of a rim which cause very short case life even with neck sizing and even worse they use projectiles that are just much to small in diameter as a former collector of WW2 Lee's the average bore diameter seems to be .311-.311.5 commercial FMJ/BT seems to be .310-310.5 which may or may not be acceptable. Enfields tend to have their own personality and you have to work with each one individually. Handloaing for the Lee is always best and its one of the funner cartridges to experiment with.reloading is quicklyloosing its cheap edge in most cases but 9 times out of 10 it is very beneficial for those who like to perfect a recipe for accuracy.

Think so?, try loading match 45's and look at the price of 185 gr jswc (Federal, Winchester whatever) You can buy the reloading "kit" 1k once fired brass, primers, powder and bullets and still be ahead.
If you loadmore, you shoot more, if you shoot more, you are a better shot. Unless you are a lead slinging dweeb
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

.45 acp is expensive, a friend of mine is finding that out, last time he bought ammo was over 10 years ago, 3D reloads for around seven bucks a box. Now he is down to 100 rounds and went looking for ammo, got sticker shock. I warned him several years back to load up, but no.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Simo

Post by Simo »

Ironnewt wrote: Think so?, try loading match 45's and look at the price of 185 gr jswc (Federal, Winchester whatever) You can buy the reloading "kit" 1k once fired brass, primers, powder and bullets and still be ahead.
If you loadmore, you shoot more, if you shoot more, you are a better shot. Unless you are a lead slinging dweeb
I'll admit when I first starting loading it was cheap, I was pumping out ammo for less than half of cost to buy it but as my desire for accuracy grew, so did the price of my components. when I started, I bought what ever materials were cheapest but then I went snob and ended up buying the most expense. I miss the days when you could walk into a gunshop and walk out with 4 lbs of powder, 1k primers and 500 projectiles for $150 or less. I watched SMKs go from $14.99 per 100 to $26.99 :beek: Ugh! I bought my first mosin m44 and 440 rds. for $100 otd 1k x39 $89 chinese sks $149 otd new. I basically switched over to arming myself with firearms the require ammo that comes in spam cans. I still handload but generally just 100 high quality rounds per gun for match reasons and plink with surplus. at my handloading peak i was spending way too much to support my hobby. it was nice knowing every round was qc'd by me but I just cant afford that anymore so I had to switch to a surplus diet with reloads as a treat here and there
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I used to pay 3.2 cents a round for Turk 8mm.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Simo

Post by Simo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I used to pay 3.2 cents a round for Turk 8mm.
then WW1 ended and you came home right? :chuckles:
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
renoboyd

Post by renoboyd »

Thanks everyone for clearing this up... Or not... I was looking into reloading the 7.62x54r. IF you want to be certain of bore, you can 'slug' it, as I have heard. but as most of you have found, the 7.62 is a .311 bullet (standard). That means that any other bullet is not the same and will not shoot the same. With Milsurp so available, and cheap, i got a 880rd crate to get me through the winter whilest I review my load options. The .311 bullets (7.62) are kinda tough to find and expensive. So unless I want to hunt with it and thereby need a soft point, the light armor rounds/steel core will have to do. I find it awkward that standard Winchester in this are so pricy. at $20-25 per box (thats over a buck a round fellas!), versus the milsurp at $137/880 (or 15.5c per round) I am NOT jumping at it. I will have to take a deer with it sooner or later though.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Simo wrote:
The Turks fought WW1 armed mostly with the original 7.65mm chambered 1893, and 1903 Mauser's, they didn't start to standardize on 7.92mm Mauser until the 1930's. It's slightly hot ammo, but it's good stuff, I shot some as old as 1936 and it performed very well. Storage in a hot, dry place I guess.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Simo wrote:
The Turks fought WW1 armed mostly with the original 7.65mm chambered 1893, and 1903 Mauser's, they didn't start to standardize on 7.92mm Mauser until the 1930's. It's slightly hot ammo, but it's good stuff, I shot some as old as 1936 and it performed very well. Storage in a hot, dry place I guess.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

renoboyd wrote:I was looking into reloading the 7.62x54r. IF you want to be certain of bore, you can 'slug' it, as I have heard. but as most of you have found, the 7.62 is a .311 bullet (standard).
The 7.62x54R is .311or 312 and both can be found. Standard for 7.62 is not .311. 7.62x51 is .308. It is just easier to get a manual and check their dimensions. I have a small batch of 7.62x54R loaded with some nosler 160s in .308. I don't expect them to do too well but maybe i will be surprised. I also have a small batch of i think .311s to shoot from the same rifle for a small test. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)