Is the wait always this bad? Wait OVER! (updated)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Is the wait always this bad? Wait OVER! (updated)

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

All milsurps are force matched, no matter if they look like they haven't been or not, just part of the refurb. Nice rifle, and I am glad to see it got to you at last :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Thib

Post by Thib »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:All milsurps are force matched, no matter if they look like they haven't been or not, just part of the refurb. Nice rifle, and I am glad to see it got to you at last :)
See, you learn something new everyday. Good to know.
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Re: Is the wait always this bad?

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

Thib wrote:The wait is over!

After fighting with the box for a bit, then again fighting with the strange black bubble wrap... it hit me! That heavenly essence filled my senses, abruptly interrupted by "Jesus, I better not light a match! We'd all go up in flames" from the kitchen. I guess I should have unpacked in Man-town instead of the dining room table... my bad!

What I ended up with is a 1932 Izhevsk Hex with what appears to be matching numbers all around. (I see no evidence of grinding or strike outs, but I am just a mere rookie. I will wait until I can get more pics up)

This picture is only a tease, the best I could do with my Droid, apparently the wife busted the digital. I couldn't get good close-ups with the phone. I will grab another camera tomorrow and snap some good ones.

I have washed my hands nine times and I can still smell the cosmoline #9! "thumbsup01:

Thib

Great Rifle--I glad you finally got it.

My rifle is also on the brown truck in transit, it will be here on the 27th I am waiting also!!
Fishslayer

Post by Fishslayer »

Thib wrote: Maybe I'm just crazy...

Thib
Mosinitis. I'm still in the early stages but can tell that this could get ugly.

Going broke $100 at a time. :lol:
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Unknown
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Congrats. Nice rifle.
"I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest I just wasted."
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Cool look forward to seeing the rest of the rifle.
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

That's a beauty. Congratulations.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

HuhHuh. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: This is gonna be a longer one, sorry :geek:

Congrats, she made it to your table, looking good on first view, having a pig sticker and all the other goodies. PUT THEM AWAY!
The pig sticker may or may not have a number, but please don't force it onto the barrel, you might hurt the blue there....
As Jim, the Boss, said, our Mosins are force-matched, meaning the numbers were adjusted to the barrel number no matter what part was used out of the interchangeable reservoir of parts.
That doesn't matter for us here.....as long as they shoot, straight hopefully , and are accurate.....your fun goes on, as you will find out piece by piece, one at a time.....
Then there is the day of Presentability, as I call it: The day, when she is finally clean, shot for accuracy, all information recorded safely about any stamp anywhere (pictured), filed safely and a work-out ledger is started. :oops: :oops: :oops: This is just me, but that's what I do with them....keeping records for every gun and every shooting. At first my son said this was not necessary, but he changed his mind when he realized over the years, how important this info collecting can be.....for the future.

At that day the "New One" is joined to the rest of the family, and it makes us feel good. We know how to handle each of our rifles...and if need be, record keeping could be an excellent sales argument.....

I feel happy for you, able to make a lot of decisions regarding your new rifle and enjoing her....forgive me, I call them ladies, as they have to be taken care of nicely..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

JUST MAKE SURE SHE IS SAFE and GO OUT AND SHOOT HER, Soldier or Vet, so that we can share your experience, with pix , :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: please. :2cents:
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

Fishslayer,
I like your bottom comment about your dog, very much.
I have 4, good ones....
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

Thib wrote:The wait is over!

Woo-Hoo!!

Thib wrote: I have washed my hands nine times and I can still smell the cosmoline #9!
Yeah. Great ain't it? ;)
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Fishslayer wrote:
Thib wrote: Maybe I'm just crazy...

Thib
Mosinitis. I'm still in the early stages but can tell that this could get ugly.

Going broke $100 at a time. :lol:
If you are very lucky you will go broke only $100 at a time, most refurb 91/30's are going for more than that now, and wait until you discover the Finn Mosins, then you can go broke $350-$500 at a time :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Congrats... Long boxes delivered to your door, It's addicting for sure. Be ready to be perpetually broke & swimming in piles of empty cardboard in the garage.... Ask me how I know!! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I lost a lot of boxes when the shed roof went during the winter of 2010, lucky there were no rifles inside of them :)
Theodore Roosevelt
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: If you are very lucky you will go broke only $100 at a time, most refurb 91/30's are going for more than that now, and wait until you discover the Finn Mosins, then you can go broke $350-$500 at a time :)
It's not just Finns. My M91 purchases tend to set me back quite a few bucks every time.
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

When I first got my C&R the wait was a love hate type thing. I hated the wait but loved to day dream about what I had coming. It was a mixed bag of fear of the unknown and excitement of the hunt. These days I have received over 20 guns and at least 20 shipments of ammo and other gear. I'm sort of a sadist and space out my shipment orders now so that I have something on the way that keeps me looking for the little brown truck coming up my driveway. The driver always blows his horn when I have a heavy shipment of ammo. Says his back is worse now that I got my C&R. :D Now lets see,....whats next on the list?
dou44

Post by dou44 »

nice rifle and i did one year in the usaf as a sp.spent the whole time at lackland left in 1980 and went into the army .if i had it to do over i would have stayed in the af but i got tired of being a gate guard or watching the runway.i wanted some excitement and went into the infantry.retired in 03 and was ammo ssg in charge of hauling anything that made a boom.
Teleoceras

Post by Teleoceras »

Looks like you have a nice one! Looking forward to more pics! :thumbsup:
VKT 1944 M39
Tula 1935 M91/30
SAKO 1941 M39 Straight stock
Tula 1939 M91/30
Tikka 1942 M91
Tikka 1928 M27
Tula 1936 M91/30 Finnish rebuilt
Tikka 1944 M91/30
SAKO 1942 M39
Tula 1930 M91 Dragoon Finnish capture
SAKO SK.Y 1943 M39
SIG 1928 M28
Tula 1898 M91

-Teleoceras
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

clayshooter2 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote: If you are very lucky you will go broke only $100 at a time, most refurb 91/30's are going for more than that now, and wait until you discover the Finn Mosins, then you can go broke $350-$500 at a time :)
It's not just Finns. My M91 purchases tend to set me back quite a few bucks every time.
If only you could see what they sold for 20 years ago :)
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I can tell you this, after a dozen or so deliveries, you quit snatching the rifle out of the UPS dirvers hands and chewing your way into the box, cardboard flying, before you sign four the damn thing. But it is still a great fun tracking one across the country online.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Teleoceras

Post by Teleoceras »

SA1911a1 wrote:I can tell you this, after a dozen or so deliveries, you quit snatching the rifle out of the UPS dirvers hands and chewing your way into the box, cardboard flying, before you sign four the damn thing. But it is still a great fun tracking one across the country online.
Why stop? Cardboard is a great source of fiber! :mrgreen:

I know I can't stop whether it is an antique Mosin or a muzzleloader. :Drool1: It gets worse though when after you're finished munching down the latest box and admiring your new Mosin that your mind starts to think about the next one. :beek:
VKT 1944 M39
Tula 1935 M91/30
SAKO 1941 M39 Straight stock
Tula 1939 M91/30
Tikka 1942 M91
Tikka 1928 M27
Tula 1936 M91/30 Finnish rebuilt
Tikka 1944 M91/30
SAKO 1942 M39
Tula 1930 M91 Dragoon Finnish capture
SAKO SK.Y 1943 M39
SIG 1928 M28