First Mosins

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
CrackPot

First Mosins

Post by CrackPot »

All serials match, but it has mixed markings from multiple arsenals. I liked the red/orange markings on all the serial numbers. Anyone know when/why that was done?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: First Mosins

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The serials match thanks to "force matching" this was done at the end of the refurb when the rifle was back together again but with mixed parts. They ground off all numbers ( or just put a line through them) except the barrel one and then remarked the other serial numbered parts to match the barrel. Sometimes with a stamp, and sometimes with an electropencil. As for the red highlighting, the refurbing went on for almost 30 years, over time styles of refurb came and went. How the numbers were stamped or not stamped, counterboring the muzzles or not, and so on. I have seen rifles with highlighted markings before, even have some myself, but there seems to be no real reason for it's being done.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
CrackPot

First Mosins

Post by CrackPot »

Thanks. I was pretty sure it was forced matching given the mixed bag of parts that made it up. It is for shooting after all, so time to clean it up...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

All sweet rifles :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
smacneighill

Post by smacneighill »

Sorry I haven't posted before now. I had to take some new pictures (I lost my other photos when my old computer was fried). Well, this is my first Mosin. I have had this one for 25 years. My dad, brother and I bought them when Sears carried them (and the SKS) back in the 80's.

At any rate, this is my pride and joy . . 1915 "Peter the Great" Tula M91.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." ~ Thomas Payne
AoxoMoxoA

Post by AoxoMoxoA »

Just joined up, am excited to be here and here's my first Mosin - a 1943 Izhevsk M91/30...

[hr]▫ 1942 Suojeluskuntain Ase ja Konepaja Oy M39
▫ 1952г Tula M45 Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice one smac :vcool: :vcool: Thats nice wood on that one Aoxo and the reciever looks to be not to bad either :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the forum, nice Izhevsk M91/30 :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

smacneighill wrote:Sorry I haven't posted before now. I had to take some new pictures (I lost my other photos when my old computer was fried). At any rate, this is my pride and joy . . 1915 "Peter the Great" Tula M91.
Well, that was worth the wait! That is a nice one! 8-) 8-) 8-)

AoxoMoxoA,
Welcome aboard. I see on your other post you have fired it already (sore shoulder :lol: ) How did it shoot?

Dolk
AoxoMoxoA

Post by AoxoMoxoA »

dolk wrote:AoxoMoxoA,
Welcome aboard. I see on your other post you have fired it already (sore shoulder :lol: ) How did it shoot?
Thanks, great to be aboard...

Started out resting the forearm on sandbags on the 50-yd range to acquaint myself with the beast, and it was shooting high (3") and right (4"). If I aimed at the eight o'clock portion of the target, I could get them around bull. A buddy of mine had a sight adjustment tool and we drifted my front sight to the right a hair over 1/32" and tried again with the rounds hitting very close to center axis. I just needed to aim a smidge lower to get them around bull. We then moved over to the 100-yd range, I shot four rounds (the four to the right in the pictured target), and tweaked the sight a hair more to the right, and shot the next four within the 2.5" center circle. Needless to say, if I can get the majority of my shots into a 2.5" circle resting the rifle on sandbags at 100-yds, I'll be a pretty happy camper.

Regarding elevation, I found I needed to be just above a six o'clock hold (on the black) to get them near bull. I'm either going to play around with lengthening the front post on my own with some of the methods I've read about here, or maybe investing in one of the Smith red fiber optic sights with the adjustable elevation.

Your thoughts?

So far, I'm very pleased with how it's shooting, and hopefully will get to the range this coming weekend to further tweak it in.

AoxoMoxoA

[hr]▫ 1942 Suojeluskuntain Ase ja Konepaja Oy M39
▫ 1952г Tula M45 Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova
smacneighill

Post by smacneighill »

AoxoMoxoA, very nice indeed!!

As far as your shooting . . remember, these rifles were intended to be carried and shot only with the bayonet attached so, without it, it will be just a hair off (but its usually a little low, and to the right . . to compensate for the weight of the bayonet).

None the less, they are a hoot to shoot out to 500 yards with (and with straight irons). :mrgreen:
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." ~ Thomas Payne