How old are we.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Shawnc

Re: How old are we.

Post by Shawnc »

Wow, you guys make me feel downright young. I'm working my way happily to curmudgeonhood and it sounds like your childhood was so much cooler to wish fondly for. :biggrin: But here goes...
I remember when "The Tide is High" was in near constant rotation on the radio. The first movie my dad ever took me to was Star Wars (where Han Solo shot first!). I used to ride my bike for miles in the summer to hang out with friends without fear of perverts taking me away, something I don't allow my young ones to do. 35 cent candy bars, 10 cent pay phone calls, Reagan on the TV, Commodore Vic 20, and Big Macs in styrofoam containers.

I still feel old.
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

SA1911a1 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:When I was a boy President Lincoln called for 300,000 volunteers to defend the Union, so of course I wrote 18 on a slip of paper and stuck it in my shoe. When I was asked if I was over 18 I didn't have to lie, yes I am! So began my great adventure with the 27th Regiment Infantry I had to go all the way to Elmira to hitch up, figured nobody would know my age there, we were the "Union Regiment", and yes Sir, Bull Run sure was a pickle, we did some scrapin' with Johnny Reb off and on, being a three year man by 1863 I ended the war with the 121st NY, never got a scratch. :)
Uhhhhh Jim, did your remember your medications today? That paragraph sounds familiar though.

I will add to my previous post that my GRANDFATHER was born during the civil war. That is a painting of his gorgeous face to the right of my posts. He and his brothers and cousins were on the other side of the river from JYD and his gang of cut-throats. (Damn Yankees)

Let the thread drift......

I am currently reading The Generals a neat biography of U.S. Grant and Bobby Lee. If you haven't read this one Jim, I will send it to you when I am done.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't you remember that early 80's made for TV movie . I think it was called North& South, the one with Stacy Keach? The boy from Pennsylvania who wanted to join up but wouldn't lie, he wrote the 18 on some paper, and stuck it in his shoe. He gets asked if he is over 18 and with a straight face says "Yes Sir". It was a pretty good movie for that time on TV. There was also a much longer mini series with the guy from Road house, and Ghost who just passed from cancer, I get the series names confused.
I am always looking for books on the States War to read Steve :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The poor kid in that movie later dies from the "screamers" uncontrollable diarrhea, caused by poor sanitation contaminating water, and bad food, it killed countless thousands during the war.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The poor kid in that movie later dies from the "screamers" uncontrollable diarrhea, caused by poor sanitation contaminating water, and bad food, it killed countless thousands during the war.
In the book I am reading, Grant refers to it as the "Tennessee Trot". They also mentions, in passing, stepping outside the tent to relieve themselves. I am thinking no formal latrines, the stomach bugs must have spread like wildfire. He also talks about having to move away from his headquarters, that doubled as a hospital, because the rotting piles of amputated arms and legs stunk too bad.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Turning 51 next month. You guys do the math.

:wink:
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
charger11974

Post by charger11974 »

Well I'm a baby haha I was born the year of Operation Gothic Serpent the actual event not the movie, the final episode of Cheers was played this year, and it was the year of Waco. I did not learn how to drive in a classic car (I wish I did) but I have a 1974 charger which is my baby so I guess at heart I'm older?
Siam

Post by Siam »

I still have a book of War Ration Stamps issued to my parents for me by the US Government during WW2.
son of a gun

Post by son of a gun »

Well, I'm 14, and a gun nut. :biggrin: does that make me the youngest?
It's all fun and games till' someone gets hurt... then it's hillarious!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

son of a gun wrote:Well, I'm 14, and a gun nut. :biggrin: does that make me the youngest?
It just might make you the youngest. Just don't grow up to be a Junk Yard Dog. :D
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Siam

Post by Siam »

son of a gun wrote:Well, I'm 14, and a gun nut. :biggrin: does that make me the youngest?
Maybe, but you sure have a bunch of collecting and shooting years ahead of you.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I remember that movie, the North and South. I had to get a nap in before I was allowed to stay up and watch it. Dad and I always watched the war movies together. Tora Tora Tora, The Alamo which shocked the hell out of me when John Wayne died.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I must still be to young then cause i just got up from my nap :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
alwyswrkng

Post by alwyswrkng »

first car -- "53 Chevy that was already 19 years old so it qualified for a cheap "antique" tag the following year. Paid $50 for her and didn't have any money left for a good battery so we pushed started her every morning to get to high school. "Borrowed" my dad's and friends dad's lawnmower gas many times when we could get away with it.
First real job working weekends at a lumer supply yard while a senior in high school I earned a whopping $1.40 and hour.
Remember being one of the first around here to get a PONG game system and then the amazing Commodore 64.
Collected plenty of coke bottles when we were little to get the .02 cents refund to buy penny candy that actually did cost a penny. Walked a half mile with my 2 brothers 5 and 11 to the corner market and the only thing we had to worry about was the mean german shepard that loved to chase us down his block. If a neighbor was driving by he'd give you a lift and you thought nothing but appreciation.
Found out the movie Wizard of Oz was filmed in color the first year I was married when we picked up a old broken color TV at a garage sale. I switched out the tubes in until I got it working.
"I wont be wronged, I wont be insulted, I wont be laid a hand on, I dont do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne in The Shootist
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I miss the old days. Ok I like looking up guns online but other than that I could do without just about everything. Especially cell phones.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Longview

Post by Longview »

You guys are a crack-up! I suspect I'm mid-range here. I remember us getting a color TV when I was a kid - even had a remote control - 2 buttons: up one channel and down one channel. It had a long green wire connecting it to the TV that was designed to ensnare your feet. I was at Anaheim Stadium watching the ball game when the announcer came on and told us "The Eagle has landed!", we went nuts! I bought a 1938 Carcano Carbine via an ad in a magazine for $40 at age 18. Learned to drive stick in my dad's 59 VW Bug, and bought my first car, a 1960 Chevy Corvair, for $300. Wish I still had either of those cars! Too young to serve in Viet Nam, too old for the Long War. First PC was dual floppies (don't even go there!)...and I get a kick telling the kids why there's no A: or B: drive on their computers :geek: (BTW hold down Alt and type in 0162 to get the ¢ sign) :geek:

This forum is a virtual 'Cheers' bar. Everyone knows most everybody else and all are welcome. Cheers! :toast:
~Longview
"You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy." - Eric Hoffer
son of a gun

Post by son of a gun »

Siam wrote:
Maybe, but you sure have a bunch of collecting and shooting years ahead of you.
Here, here! I couldn't agree more. :toast:
It's all fun and games till' someone gets hurt... then it's hillarious!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Son of a gun, I remember when I could say I was a gun nut at your age and not freak out the teachers and get expelled and a psych evaluation ordered.
I am roughly the same age as Martin, and I suspect greasemonkey also. I am younger than Junk Yard Dog by more than a century. I do remember riding my bike to the store to get my parents a 40 cent pack of Marlboro 100's, and it's a miracle I didn't become a smoker. I started buying gas at 52 cents then saw it jump to 3 times that much and was only able to but it on even days. Remember the odd/even gas days? I remember my young wife calling me in tears about the space shuttle Challenger exploding during liftoff. We had been married a couple of years. I used to drive around with a rifle in the back window track of my pickup, and when I placed a AR15 in the rack and drove around with it in plain sight nobody got excited.
happyret65

Post by happyret65 »

I was in the military when $70+ a month was the salary, stood tall for the salute to Kennedy's death, ready to deploy for the Bay of Pigs, left Saigon and discharged before the Tet Offensive and have been retired twice. I remember gas stations on each corner in town and gas wars that would sell gas anywhere from .10 and 19 cents a gallon (full service too). I thought eating a spam sandwich was being rich and peanut butter & jam sandwich the normal (when we had bread). The grocery store was very small and the selections were limited - didn't take long to shop . Thought sue was the new kid in the neighborhood, not a lawyer dream! Seventy less than 75 yards away. Hope we can keep this country together!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I will never forget that speech Russell.

I am still a long way from forgetting what the arabs did to us in 1973, or 1980.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Carters legacy ...the gas lines :lol: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)