Break out the popcorn; it's Part II of the M39 Sale.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
djbuck1

Re: Break out the popcorn; it's Part II of the M39 Sale.

Post by djbuck1 »

`Called SOG just to check. Sold out.

This comes as no surprise, for while none of us are panicking, it would appear that a lot of people are. :big shock:

So. Are we witnessing the start of a replay of what has happened with M91/30 refurbs?
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

PXDon wrote:Wonder if SOG's inventory is from the same lot that Classic bought?...
Definitely not. I find this hilarious. Everybody was salivating over the Classic lot. Here, all the time SOG had the M39's, but they were in the surplus category instead of C&R, so many people, myself included, missed them. So for $349, the first two people that posted them online got a '67 no maker and a '68 no maker.
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Check that. The guy with the '67 paid hand select, so he paid $359. It's AZF marked too.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

:3Dpop:

This thread is not 3D! :vsad:

zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Don't get me wrong I love the 40 or so M39's I have in my collection that are not for sale but I just can't get that excited about them anymore. It is now totally impossible for me to tell for the most part which of them went through the Burn's operation and was possibly tinkered with so I find the value of them too is maybe compromised. Then you are left with them just being good shooters and have to figure what a good shooter may be worth these days? I have one left for sale and it is not really a pristine good looking rifle but has some trigger work that I know was done by the Finn's and is one of a kind for that reason alone. After this out burst of selling from Classic I would say there will maybe be a bunch on the resale market and maybe after that the ones hidden now of greater value will come to the surface at much higher prices. This to me is just a chumming operation to set the appetite of collectors for the ones they want to get real money out of. Time will tell I guess?

It really hurts when you figure what they have done with their merchandising moves to the premier Finnish made Mosin model. I would have really liked to only collected M39's and no other Mosin's but they sure screwed up that idea. There are so many beautiful examples like the one's Dolk has with drop dead gorgeous wood I had pined for but not any more I am afraid of the ones that may have passed through the wrong hands now. Go ahead Dolk post some of yours so I can wipe my old eyes for awhile and feel lonelier. Even lost my old cat buddy Tiger last week and that has made for a lonely week for sure! Sure is quiet around here without my meower making back round noise. Not a great month for old zeebill and I look forward to a better October for sure! :? Bill
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Yeah, I love the shanks on the SAKO's and the stampings on the butt stock. Most of all, of all the M-39's you are more likely to have a matching magazine door that any of the others. I know, I know... but, none of the other Finn rifles did this, at least that I know of... I have to qualify such statements or Dolk will immediately post such a rifle :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

zeebill wrote:Don't get me wrong I love the 40 or so M39's I have in my collection that are not for sale but I just can't get that excited about them anymore. It is now totally impossible for me to tell for the most part which of them went through the Burn's operation and was possibly tinkered with so I find the value of them too is maybe compromised. Then you are left with them just being good shooters and have to figure what a good shooter may be worth these days? I have one left for sale and it is not really a pristine good looking rifle but has some trigger work that I know was done by the Finn's and is one of a kind for that reason alone. After this out burst of selling from Classic I would say there will maybe be a bunch on the resale market and maybe after that the ones hidden now of greater value will come to the surface at much higher prices. This to me is just a chumming operation to set the appetite of collectors for the ones they want to get real money out of. Time will tell I guess?

It really hurts when you figure what they have done with their merchandising moves to the premier Finnish made Mosin model. I would have really liked to only collected M39's and no other Mosin's but they sure screwed up that idea. There are so many beautiful examples like the one's Dolk has with drop dead gorgeous wood I had pined for but not any more I am afraid of the ones that may have passed through the wrong hands now. Go ahead Dolk post some of yours so I can wipe my old eyes for awhile and feel lonelier. Even lost my old cat buddy Tiger last week and that has made for a lonely week for sure! Sure is quiet around here without my meower making back round noise. Not a great month for old zeebill and I look forward to a better October for sure! :? Bill
SOrry to hear about Tiger Bill, my Tiger has been missing for five days now and foul play is suspected, I am going to hit the raccoons on spec. It's not that hard to tell if a M39 has been apart of not, it's easier for me as I made a point of not cleaning them under the woodline. When you open an action and find it packed with black grease pine needles and sand you can be sure it hasn't been played with. 80%, including all of the late date and the 48 marked wire like that. The grease preserves it, and I didn't want to mess with that graphite shit, it gets everywhere. There are other clues as well, it's not impossible to fake age when you know how, but not cost effective when the item in question is only a few hundred bucks.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

zeebill wrote:Don't get me wrong I love the 40 or so M39's I have in my collection that are not for sale but I just can't get that excited about them anymore. It is now totally impossible for me to tell for the most part which of them went through the Burn's operation and was possibly tinkered with so I find the value of them too is maybe compromised. Then you are left with them just being good shooters and have to figure what a good shooter may be worth these days? I have one left for sale and it is not really a pristine good looking rifle but has some trigger work that I know was done by the Finn's and is one of a kind for that reason alone. After this out burst of selling from Classic I would say there will maybe be a bunch on the resale market and maybe after that the ones hidden now of greater value will come to the surface at much higher prices. This to me is just a chumming operation to set the appetite of collectors for the ones they want to get real money out of. Time will tell I guess?

You ae luck I have a soft spot in my heart for cats or I would post my 100% correct (and the wood shows it) gorgeous M39's. But, I am slightly sad to hear of another cat in this world passing on! :vsad:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

qz2026 wrote:Yeah, I love the shanks on the SAKO's and the stampings on the butt stock. Most of all, of all the M-39's you are more likely to have a matching magazine door that any of the others. I know, I know... but, none of the other Finn rifles did this, at least that I know of... I have to qualify such statements or Dolk will immediately post such a rifle :lol:
Nope, I'm depressed about Bill little cat. I lost "Tigger" a couple of years ago. Now I'm really depressed! :vsad:

My wife told me we can't get another cat because she got two Beagles, and they love to chase cats. I told her I don't raise cats to be chased by dogs, I raise them to chase dogs! :thumbsup: (that's...no shit!)

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Back to the thread......

redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Back to the thread. A guy posted online that he called Classic to order and asked for one with a hang tag. They told him there would be a $50 up charge for that.

On an other note, there is an online discussion going on about how many and which rifles Classic actually bought from Burns. In that discussion, a post was made by an extremely reliable source, someone close to the deal, that Classic bought ALL of them.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

redeuce wrote:Back to the thread. A guy posted online that he called Classic to order and asked for one with a hang tag. They told him there would be a $50 up charge for that.

On an other note, there is an online discussion going on about how many and which rifles Classic actually bought from Burns. In that discussion, a post was made by an extremely reliable source, someone close to the deal, that Classic bought ALL of them.
PANIC IN THE STREETS!!! :big shock: :big shock:
rock

Post by rock »

hey junk yard dog, can you enlighten me on the graphite grease I have on that is packed in it. I have had it for 10 years or so.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

rock wrote:hey junk yard dog, can you enlighten me on the graphite grease I have on that is packed in it. I have had it for 10 years or so.
It looks like exactly the same grease originally used to lube Victrola phonograph springs back in the 20's. Equal parts Vaseline and black flake graphite, your basic "grease" nothing space age, or even special, but it will do the job. The grease is used under the wood line, I have not found it on any other part of the weapon. Judging by the amount of sand I have found in it from the range sand bags the grease had been there for the rifles service life.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Bill, I am sincerely sorry to hear about you losing your pet. I have had to bury far too many in my life, so I know how it feels.

On the lighter side; I have never been a cat person, I always had dogs, however, about five years ago, four cats adopted my wife and I. The only time I have handled them was trapping them to take them to get fixed. They are not warm and fuzzy animals. I do get a charge out of them though and they tell me that they love me dearly when I take them their food, but after they eat, they want nothing to do with me. If you like, I can try to trap one, and I will box it up and send it UPS to you. I will send the big male that has some attitude. I would probably have to double box him. I would suggest that you have the bomb-squad robot open the box, but, after he got over the ride in the big brown truck, he would make a good pet. His name is Rocky. :)

I do hope you have a better October.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

SA1911a1 wrote:I will send the big male that has some attitude. I would probably have to double box him. His name is Rocky. :)
:chuckles: Damn, now that was funny. :chuckles: I have had a rough couple of days at work, but that put me "square with the world" Thank you!

Nothing "warm and fuzzy" about a feral cat.

OK, back to the "fun channel"........
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There are kittens outside someplace, I tried to grab one and it bit me, or rather bit my greasy glove, I don't think it will try that again. If you can catch them then they are yours, the escaped purebred Manx has a kitten with one eye and no tail. My negotiations with the animals owner have degenerated into threats of violence if they do not come and capture the creature. A more nasty disposition in a cat I have never encountered.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:There are kittens outside someplace, I tried to grab one and it bit me, or rather bit my greasy glove, I don't think it will try that again. If you can catch them then they are yours, the escaped purebred Manx has a kitten with one eye and no tail. My negotiations with the animals owner have degenerated into threats of violence if they do not come and capture the creature. A more nasty disposition in a cat I have never encountered.
Does he remind you of anyone, Jim? :whistle:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The cats owner? He's a schmuck, his wifes no better, IQ's smaller than their tiny shoe sizes. They let their mother in laws expensive purebred cat escape, and run wild for three years and can't figure out how to catch it. It's called a have a heart trap, or maybe they want I should just shoot the fuckin thing, I finally caught it at it last month, it's the cat that's been leaving dirty paw prints all over my Model A. Every other feral cat around here is friendly when I feed them, that nasty piece of work hisses like an angry snake, no matter how many times I chase it off it keeps coming back and now has kittens with it. They say this type of purebred isn't wired right in the head, too many generations of inbreeding on that island, the lady who bought it can't be far off from that herself, a grand for a cat? I would have given her a whole box full for free.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

redeuce wrote:Back to the thread. A guy posted online that he called Classic to order and asked for one with a hang tag. They told him there would be a $50 up charge for that.

It makes sense if you think about it. Burns was getting towards the bottom of her hoard, the facility she had to store them was getting empty so why not give a push, liquidate & part with the facility all at once. I hear Burns is also mass selling on Gunbroker too. I say it's her final surge to get out of the business for good.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"