First timer here.. Two new Mosins

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Chiroptile

Re: First timer here.. Two new Mosins

Post by Chiroptile »

Got away with it as long as they could! I find it really interesting that in the wake of the Cold War and after the fall of the USSR America got flooded with surplus Soviet firearms accessible to just about everybody. Back in Russia it is next to impossible to get one of these rifles for civilian use..
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Chiroptile wrote:Got away with it as long as they could! I find it really interesting that in the wake of the Cold War and after the fall of the USSR America got flooded with surplus Soviet firearms accessible to just about everybody. Back in Russia it is next to impossible to get one of these rifles for civilian use..
Yup we know. We have members from there. DEF showed us what they did to his before he could buy it too. Really scarey looking stuff. When you get a minute read through this. It'll make you appreciate our rights here and why we need to fight like hell to keep them. http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... 5&p=252890
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

Oh yeah.. I was born in the Soviet Union.. Though, towards the end of it.. 1982. Our family skipped town for the States in 1992. Was too young to really experience many of the unsavory aspects, too busy being a kid.. But in retrospect I know exactly what you are saying. One that sticks out in my memory particularly was getting dental work done.. Lidocaine rationing.. Used to get my teeth drilled without anesthesia and recite poems about Lenin..
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Chiroptile wrote:Oh yeah.. I was born in the Soviet Union.. Though, towards the end of it.. 1982. Our family skipped town for the States in 1992. Was too young to really experience many of the unsavory aspects, too busy being a kid.. But in retrospect I know exactly what you are saying. One that sticks out in my memory particularly was getting dental work done.. Lidocaine rationing.. Used to get my teeth drilled without anesthesia and recite poems about Lenin..
Well yeah there's that stuff too but I meant what they do to the rifles. He said they drill into the chamber and some place up by the muzzle and weld in something like a nail that protrudes into to chamber and bore. The one in the chamber actually puts a dent in the shoulder of a chambered round to render the spent shell un-reloadable and the one in the muzzle end marks the projectile as it leaves the bore. That's some scary stuff.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Chiroptile wrote:Oh yeah.. I was born in the Soviet Union.. Though, towards the end of it.. 1982. Our family skipped town for the States in 1992. Was too young to really experience many of the unsavory aspects, too busy being a kid.. But in retrospect I know exactly what you are saying. One that sticks out in my memory particularly was getting dental work done.. Lidocaine rationing.. Used to get my teeth drilled without anesthesia and recite poems about Lenin..
Things got a little better after the fall. I went there in 93 and 98. Cool to visit but still not like it is here.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

Yeah, I went back in 2008. Two weeks was enough.
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

I was wondering, in the Molot photo set, did anybody notice what I was talking about with the canted butt stock and rear sights? I'm not sure if it's just my eyes playing tricks.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Welcome. I like both the rifles. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I especially like the large "2" on the bottom of the forestock. That usually, but not always, indicates a /25\ rifle is mounted in that stock. I have never seen one of those in a laminated stock though and your barrel shank does not show the /25\ stamping. I hope that this is just grease in the barrel. Run a couple of dry patches through the bore and look at it again. Actually, you will be able to tell once you look at the patches if it is greese :D

Don't worry about this Molot discussion. This is the nicest Molot I.O. imported M-44 I have seen. Most of what Molot is working on these days gets imported by PW ARMS and they are very, very nice rifles, as well. It's just that no one understands why they are so nice so the unfounded conclusion is that they are being re-refurbished at some Molot factory hidden away in the Motherland. And because they are not, now, original Russian refurbs (no proof what-so-ever on this) they are somehow not collectable. It's all poppy-cock - no one knows a thing - just speculation. My muzzle stampings say "M-44,,, or M-38...) so don't let anyone tell you they are anything else but the real deal and Russian refurbished. So, enjoy this fine carbine. I only wish the Molot folks kept their laser etchings hidden under the handguard. Seems as if all the importers and vying to see who can stamp/etch the larges and ugliest billboard on the receivers of these rifles. That said, I have quite a few Molots and like each one of them.

We like to use the words, "not always", "sometimes", "most of them..." and so on. You will find that the combinations in these rifles is virtually unlimited and find yourself wanting one of each... There is a medical term for that...
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

How did I miss that whole other thread? :big shock: Anyway I don't see any canting but then again its hard to tell from pics. Id say you have an awesome rifle there
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

Thank you, friends.. Really excited to learn from all of you and to share our finds.. If anybody ever needs anything Russian translated, just shoot me a PM!
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Chiroptile wrote:Thank you, friends.. Really excited to learn from all of you and to share our finds.. If anybody ever needs anything Russian translated, just shoot me a PM!
Good, cause mine has gone to hell over the years. :lol:
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Chiroptile wrote:Thank you, friends.. Really excited to learn from all of you and to share our finds.. If anybody ever needs anything Russian translated, just shoot me a PM!
You know I saw where you said you were looking at Russian sites before and it just clicked when you posted this along with you saying you are from Russia. Being able to translate Russian will be a huge help around here. BuckeyeSgt. knows some Russian and we have some members still living there but the more the merrier I say. Now use the contacts you have over there to find out what the heck's going on with these Molot rifles and you'll be a hero. :thumbsup:

HA! I was just posting about you Drew, lol.
BuckeyeSgt wrote:
Good, cause mine has gone to hell over the years. :lol:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

You have two very nice looking Mosins there. Congratulations! 8-) 8-)

Take good care of them.

Dolk
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

You got a couple of nice one's to kick off the addiction! 8-) :thumbsup: Congrats & welcome to the Forum. Are those brass end caps on your M44 handguard or just shellac over the metal?
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

No idea.. I haven't taken it apart yet.. And thank you!

Just went on a popular firearm auction site and was very surprised at what I saw.. Auctions with buy it now options for 700 dollars? Don't think they were Ex-Snipers or anything.. I have a feeling some of these may be predatory more than anything..
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Chiroptile wrote:No idea.. I haven't taken it apart yet.. And thank you!

Just went on a popular firearm auction site and was very surprised at what I saw.. Auctions with buy it now options for 700 dollars? Don't think they were Ex-Snipers or anything.. I have a feeling some of these may be predatory more than anything..
There are so many variants to these, it's hard to say. There are the different models, arsenals, countries and markings. An example is a 1941 Tula which might look like a common 91/30. But they are very uncommon. If you are looking at M44 prices and think $250 is the ball park you would be right but then it is an unissued rare year Polish M44 that does over $500. It just depends on every little detail. And there are people with deep pockets that are not looking for a deal or just don't care or never did any research.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

Gotcha.. This particular example is a '27 Izhevsk. Has only one photo up so I can't really tell what it is. Seller says it comes with a rare oil bottle? Are the field supplies also of variable collectible value. My oil bottle has some markings on it..
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

There are a couple of guys that collect different oil bottles on here but I can't remember who. There are some uncommon ones but I don't think they are über expensive.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Chiroptile wrote:Gotcha.. This particular example is a '27 Izhevsk. Has only one photo up so I can't really tell what it is. Seller says it comes with a rare oil bottle? Are the field supplies also of variable collectible value. My oil bottle has some markings on it..
That's where this site comes in handy. There's sellers that will charge whatever people will pay and like Drew said some people have deep pockets and don't care what something's worth or costs. One of the users here posted an Armslist classified for a 1941 Russian M91/30 PU sniper. Asking price was $5,500.00. Stated it was left to him by his grandfather with an assurance that it was checked by three gun pros and was legit. Well no it wasn't. Being a 1941 was the first wrong thing. PU snipers weren't made in 1941. They went from 1942-1947. It also had a reproduction recently made scope on it. I think he also claimed it has seen battle which you could tell by how dirty the bore was from all the rounds that had been through it. That rifle was never a PU sniper and had been refurbed. Someone humped it together that had no clue what a real one should be. The guy listing it was a moron too. His grasp of the English language showed he didn't pay much attention in school. The whole thing was a fabrication. He was told it was an outright fake. Then edited the listing to state it had sold for the full asking price. $200 worth of parts is about what it amounted to. Oh and the kicker was it was a 1941 and might have been a Tula. So they ruined a fairly rare rifle to do this. I'm not 100% sure about it being a Tula but still, what a freakin' waste.
Last edited by WeldonHunter on Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Mike, he sent me the link. It did come in a presentation case! Enough said. :chuckles:
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F