I'm here

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
OLD OUTLAW

Re: I'm here

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

The importers mark is what everything you show in the pic is. Go to the other side of the receiver where the true Russian serial number is.
I kinda suspect you will see a number and about 3" to the right a small star. If you do, it is a Letter Gun! Get a pic of that. Does the SN on the magazine, the trigger guard, and the rear of the receiver cover match that receiver SN? Get a really good pic of both sides of the forward cross bolt.Looking for small cartouche stamps in the wood.Get pic of both right and left sides of that stock. Looking for clear stampings in the wood. A 56 letter gun will have no dates on the top of that receiver cover!

It looks to be a refurb because the stock is Arctic Birch and the hand guard is laminated. But it seems to have original bluing. Perhaps a very light refurb.
Now, question is do you want a really good shooter or an absolute collectors item? Only you can decide for certain.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

MN Fan wrote:Hmm, I bet you're right Weldon. That makes sense. So far, its been hard to even find an unmolested SKS of any type around here and it makes sense this is just like any other.

Omaha has a bad vibe when it comes to SKSs. I may end up having to wait for the CCR.

Thanks for your input. It makes sense.
Well luckily my uncle still has my bolt cover, now it's just a waiting game as to when he digs it out and sends it to me. He gave me the rifle so I can't complain or be to pushy but the gun is incomplete to me without it. I've had the YooperJohn site saved to my favorites since I got this gun earlier this year and it's a wealth of information to just cruise through. I hate bugging Steve and Matt all the time about stuff. I know they really don't mind but researching it helps me to retain the info. better too.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Thanks for the input Outlaw. I know every number I found on the gun matched. There were very few marks actually (again, compared to a Mosin). I didn't know that is what the import mark was on these...I "thought" it was, but wasn't sure. Now, remember, I am getting old...but I swear that it was on the opposite side than the photo I used. Maybe not and maybe that doesn't mean anything either.

The only other observation I can remember is that the markings were all very crisp and clear. The lettering was all aligned evenly and nothing was rotated. It "felt" good to hold it lol if that means anything.

Remember SA's recent collector scale? I would love to own a "5" of course, but I am nowhere near ready to play in that arena. If I end up with a basic SKS, of course I will shoot it. If I happen to get lucky and stumble into something historically important...well, I don't have a real need to shoot it that bad. I can later go get a Cabela's special if I have to :)

Again, thank you!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Weldon...that's fantastic! I am glad you will be able to get the cover soon. Thanks for your input!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

MN Fan wrote:Weldon...that's fantastic! I am glad you will be able to get the cover soon. Thanks for your input!

Heh, I'm not holding out for soon. Maybe in the next year or so. He's about 1,200 miles away. I'll get it eventually. I'm going to see if I can talk him out of the stock the Garand came in too. It's a arsenal refurb but he replaced the stock with a new one a few years ago.

It sounds like Steve is saying that SKS has some real promise. I just looked at Drago's "Is my SKS rare" list and if it's a letter gun it might be somewhat rare. You really need to go on a search and destroy picture mission to feed our hunger. The Donga needs food!
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

I'm heading there with the camera tomorrow! Man, I am going to hate going back to work next week! lol

This is all pretty cool and sort of confirms my thoughts on these type of rifles. It's either a switched out basic SKS or a possible decent find...and I haven't had the nerve to drop the cash yet :)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

MN Fan wrote:I'm heading there with the camera tomorrow! Man, I am going to hate going back to work next week! lol
Don't hate it. It's how you'll be able to keep feeding the illness. Work=Paycheck=Rifles. :D
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

In this case for a possible starter Russian, it certainly does. Mn is next to Iowa where I live.Try to find any decent Russian and you might as well whistle Dixie.
Iowa and Nebraska have few to none it seems. Not of much value anyway. I stumbled upon one really nice light refurb.Letter in Southern Iowa in February this year. First and only one I have seen here. A very light refurb. K gun. I had to pay $425 for it, but he wanted $475 to start. Had never been to that shop before, but since I have found out he would have let me have it for $375 if I had pushed him. I'm still kicking myself over that. But, the next one he finds I will get a good price on he tells me. Hope so anyway. :)
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

WeldonHunter wrote: Don't hate it. It's how you'll be able to keep feeding the illness. Work=Paycheck=Rifles. :D
True, true. But Martin recently told us we have to make our mortgage payments first! In my case, its more like Work=Paycheck+Work=Paycheck+Work=Paycheck=Rifle! (as long as my daughter hasn't broken her glasses or outgrown her month old school clothes!) lol...I'm not complaining, I love my job, love my daughter and in general love life. But, I have been having fun running off anytime of day to go browse a new gun store :)

Outlaw, I am sort of from your area. I was south, down near Mt. Pleasant. I worked in Muscatine though. Its a beautiful area over that way!
Last edited by MN Fan on Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

MN Fan wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote: Don't hate it. It's how you'll be able to keep feeding the illness. Work=Paycheck=Rifles. :D
True, true. But Martin recently told us we have to make our mortgage payments first! In may case, its more like Work=Paycheck+Work=Paycheck+Work=Paycheck=Rifle! (as long as my daughter hasn't broken her glasses or outgrown her month old school clothes!) lol...I'm not complaining, I love my job, love my daughter and in general love life. But, I have been having fun running off anytime of day to go browse a new gun store :)

Outlaw, I am sort of from your area. I was south, down near Mt. Pleasant. I worked in Muscatine though. Its a beautiful area over that way!
I will be darned! I was born in and from Mt. Pleasant. Now live about 15 miles North of Muscatine!
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

That's awsome! I was thinking you were further up by Dubuque for some reason. Did you ever make it out to the Old Thresher's reunion? I used to work in the train shop and designed and built several theme park trains. Most of the time, I was working at Mt. Pleasant Tool Works as a contractor to the Iowa Army Ammunition Plant in Middletown.

Small world :)
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

MN Fan wrote:That's awsome! I was thinking you were further up by Dubuque for some reason. Did you ever make it out to the Old Thresher's reunion? I used to work in the train shop and designed and built several theme park trains. Most of the time, I was working at Mt. Pleasant Tool Works as a contractor to the Iowa Army Ammunition Plant in Middletown.

Small world :)
Just south 5 miles of Davenport. Old Threshers, oh yes. My mother, now 94 still works in the Administration Tent. She has been a Volunteer
and working in the Administration Tent for I would say 60years at least! Probably a little longer even. If you worked in the train shop, you probably do know her by face if not by name. She was there before that train shop ever was born.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

lol, that's awesome! Yep, I probably know her then. That's a pretty cool thing they do over there and I've thought about taking my daughter to see it this summer. I helped build the old village on the backside of the train track...I bet by now they've built it up even more. I used to like the re-enactments they did. A few of us guys used to go fire the trains up on Christmas Eve and give free train rides to the public. I'll never forget the how the little kids faces would light up when you asked if they wanted to ride up front :)

I know we took this off topic...but guns and old steam trains kind of go hand in hand, right?

Its nice knowing you're from that area!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

[quote="MN Fan"]First off, the stock is very similar to millman's '54 Tula. It has the same contrasting stock and handguard wood grain patterns. Also, it is very similar in color. I hope you don't mind me borrowing your photo millman (nice SKS btw! :) )

quote]
Thanks. It took me a minute to see that it was mine. I was thinking what a nice rifle, it has a handgurd like mine. Then I read the post. :lol:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

millman wrote:
MN Fan wrote:First off, the stock is very similar to millman's '54 Tula. It has the same contrasting stock and handguard wood grain patterns. Also, it is very similar in color. I hope you don't mind me borrowing your photo millman (nice SKS btw! :) )

quote]
Thanks. It took me a minute to see that it was mine. I was thinking what a nice rifle, it has a handgurd like mine. Then I read the post. :lol:
You just need about a dozen or so more Russian SKS. Then,if lucky, you may have most of their stock variations. :)
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

lol, that's funny. When I saw it today, I knew I had seen one similar here on the forum. I had to browse all the SKS photos ( :Drool1: ) one more time to find it!

Thanks millman!