Bore Snake for cleaning Mosin's

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Chrome Moly Vampire

Re: Bore Snake for cleaning Mosin's

Post by Chrome Moly Vampire »

Before I go shooting, I throw a bottle of water on the dash of the car. When I get through, the sun has heated up the water. Then I pour the whole bottle down the receiver and through the barrel. Run it through with a bore snake a couple of times and voila. Pretty down and dirty. I don't have any rust yet.
"I never miss a chance to provide joy and/or erotic thoughts to the elderly"
~Floran~
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

dolk wrote:I use Oatmeal and a touch of brown sugar and sometimes a touch of milk to thin it up a bit........no, .....wait......that is what I had for breakfast ..........never mind. :roll:

dolk
If you try Ballistol, Ed's Red or Hoppe's #9 in your oatmeal, It will clean out your "bore" :big shock: :big shock:

:chuckles: :chuckles:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

desdem12 wrote:I have a tea kettle that I use. I can do it without getting too much on the wood but you can disassemble it if needed. I have a little doohickey I made from a oil filler thing. It pushes together and pulls apart and is red. Found it at walmart. I cut a slit in the end so it fits into the chamber and then it bends up out of the chamber so I can pour water down with out spilling ...mostly. If you get a little water on the inside of the stock it will dry itself from the heat. :D
They make a filler for Automatic transmissions that works well. The nozzle is smaller due to the size of the Transmission fluid tube.

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

millman wrote:I take this as just about the definitive study on cleaners. See how they stack up.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006 ... /index.asp
A bit involved but great info.