Show your AK rifles!

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ponycarman

Re: Show your AK rifles!

Post by ponycarman »

Very nice work! I would love to do the full front end coversion to mine. How hard was it to swap the front sight assembly?
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
wingspar

Post by wingspar »

A couple of older photos of my WASR 10/63.

Gotta have something to put in the AK.

Gary
WIll Fly for Food... and More Ammo
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Only two I have kept. Had a number of pre-ban that I have sold. Just that these two are my favorites I guess.
1989 Yugo M70 import. Bought it new.

MAK-90 I bought new in 2000. Came with 5 and 30 round magazines.

Had at one time about a dozen new pre-ban M70, M76, M77, and the RPK in .308. All Yugoslavian AK Series.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
kworm99

Post by kworm99 »

Egyptian Maadi MISR S/A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

My only AK is a PA legal handgun I built on a short-barreled Hungarian AMD parts kit. A NoDakSpud receiver and Tapco parts keep it 922r compliant. Since it is a handgun, the vertical foregrip was replaced with a standard wood forearm and the rear trunion that originally had the wire/tubular side folding stock attachment was altered to prevent the atrachment of any butt stock.

Authentic? No. But the parts kit was purchased when they were cheap and I have 1/3 the money in it that these types sell for now. Its literally a blast to shoot and is super handy. The pistol classification is a bonus.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
cleanneon98

Post by cleanneon98 »

Romanian WASR 10/63 with the ATI strikeforce stock set, tech-sights y200, and ak74 style brake.
1943 SAKO M39 SK.Y #505023
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Here is my Yugo...Image

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
target

Post by target »

I've been looking for a Yugo for a while. I'll hopefully find one pretty soon. Been stocking up on x39 in hopes of finding one local but the only thing around here is WASR 10/63s which are ok rifles but everyone wants like 800-900 dollars for them. Might just have to order one and suck it up like a big boy.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

target wrote:I've been looking for a Yugo for a while. I'll hopefully find one pretty soon. Been stocking up on x39 in hopes of finding one local but the only thing around here is WASR 10/63s which are ok rifles but everyone wants like 800-900 dollars for them. Might just have to order one and suck it up like a big boy.
I ordered mine from AIM and it was worth every penny. <$600 from start to truck.

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

I like those Serbian crests.
A J

Post by A J »

I'm thinking of buying an AK (my first). I'm hearing great things about the WASRs and the M10s. You guys have any favorites? Any models or vendors I should avoid? Thanks.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

A J wrote:I'm thinking of buying an AK (my first). I'm hearing great things about the WASRs and the M10s. You guys have any favorites? Any models or vendors I should avoid? Thanks.
I love my wasr! Wasr's are mostly thought of as being the lowest quality. But its still an ak. Mine has been reliable and rugged. My wasr has also proven to have very good practical accuracy. Its no bench rest shooter but last weekend I was easily hitting water bottles at 50yrds standing with iron sights. While that doesn't sound impressive, a normal water bottle is mighty small at that distance. My wasr is more accurate than my saiga. Just be sure to give any ak a good look over to check for straightness and it will be good.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

A J wrote:I'm thinking of buying an AK (my first). I'm hearing great things about the WASRs and the M10s. You guys have any favorites? Any models or vendors I should avoid? Thanks.
Save your pennies, buy a tank. Look at the Yugo Opap. And please dont get caught up on the chrome lining nonsense.

A J

Post by A J »

Vendetta wrote:
Save your pennies, buy a tank. Look at the Yugo Opap. And please dont get caught up on the chrome lining nonsense.

Actually, I've been looking at those as well. Reviews are very good. Would you suggest the one with the receiver scope mount or the plain-Jane. I'm leaning towards going without the mount and keeping it "clean." What do you think?
fenceline

Post by fenceline »

I'm Canadian, and I'm in this thread....... with a functioning AK!!! Haha

The AKs, and their variants are prohibited up here by name. Unless you are grandfathered in, you can't have them. So for guys like me, this is all I'm allowed. For various rumoured reasons, the Valmet Hunter, and the Valmet M78 versions are exceptions to the law. They got a pass. Everything else AK is no go. Except the vz58 line, but that isn't really a variant. Although we may be getting a Schmidt-Ruben 1911 based Straight-Pull-Bolt-Action-Rifle look alike approved this year, and there are no laws against making a bolt action a semi auto. But that is another story... Silly gun grabber laws back firing on them.

My Valmet M78 in 308.

[thumbnail]http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... ebf909.jpg[/thumbnail]
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

A J wrote:
Vendetta wrote:

Actually, I've been looking at those as well. Reviews are very good. Would you suggest the one with the receiver scope mount or the plain-Jane. I'm leaning towards going without the mount and keeping it "clean." What do you think?
The opap has the side mount. It has the 1.5mm receiver with the bulged trunnion. They also have the pap and npap. The pap is single stack (:cry:) and the npap has its own issues. I love my opap and the side mount never seems to get in the way.

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

I have a WASR-10/63 that I really like. Since it's built with original 1980's Romanian military parts on a new semi-auto receiver and made by the original factory that produced the rifle, it's about as close to a real Warsaw Pact era Comblock military AKM as one is likely to encounter. Since I have an original Romanian G stock set on it with the pistol grip and "dong grip" lower handguard, I have to use a "fixed" 10 round magazine (original Soviet orange bakelite 30 rounder blocked to 10 rounds) and magazine lock with it.

I also recently purchased an earlier (2002 production) WASR-10 "project gun" with some problems (I don't think they are serious and hope to have it up and running in short order) that I am picking up tomorrow (Tuesday). I will also set this one up like a 1970's-1980's Romanian military AK, but modify the grip to California "featureless" configuration and use a standard lower handguard, so I can legally run my 30 round, "detachable" magazines in it instead of 10 round mags with a magazine lock.

We have to play silly games here, but since "stupid people write stupid laws", with a little thought and effort there are still numerous available legal combinations of parts and magazines one can come up with to allow a lot of fun and interesting configurations.
rusko75

Post by rusko75 »

My Zastava PAP M-90SA and my Lil Vepr chambered in 7.62x54r.

We also have a nice Chinese Type 56 SKS but i'll stick to the theme of the thread.

I'm reallly itching to get another AK, but alas funds keep gettting diverted to life. :cry1:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A J

Post by A J »

Vendetta wrote:

I did a lot of research and ended up going with the OPAP. I placed my order with Buds Guns last night. $575 + $20 FFL = $595. Actually, it wasn't an easy decision. In looking at the different AKs, I found lots of strong opinions but I'd say there isn't an AK on the market today that I absolutely wouldn't want. What I liked about the OPAP was the heavy receiver, the strong customer reviews, rail mount and surplus wood furniture. Small detractors from the OPAP include lack of rear sling mount (easily corrected) and lack of a bayonet lug (no bayonet charges with this rifle!). Other than that, it's everything I wanted from an AK. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

A J wrote:
Vendetta wrote:

I did a lot of research and ended up going with the OPAP. I placed my order with Buds Guns last night. $575 + $20 FFL = $595. Actually, it wasn't an easy decision. In looking at the different AKs, I found lots of strong opinions but I'd say there isn't an AK on the market today that I absolutely wouldn't want. What I liked about the OPAP was the heavy receiver, the strong customer reviews, rail mount and surplus wood furniture. Small detractors from the OPAP include lack of rear sling mount (easily corrected) and lack of a bayonet lug (no bayonet charges with this rifle!). Other than that, it's everything I wanted from an AK. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Glad to hear it. The rear sling mount is an easy fix and there are people fixing the bayonet lugs too. Check out akfiles.