Recomendations for a good hunting rifle

ponycarman

Re: Recomendations for a good hunting rifle

Post by ponycarman »

What do you think about the cva wolf to start out into muzzleloading? Walmart had one for $139. Its their least exspensive rifle I guess. Break down action. Looked like really good quality. After looking through cva website I cant see much difference in the cheapest wolf and some of their more exspensive models. But as I said before I really know nothing about muzzleloaders other than what Ive learned today haha.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I think that would be a good one to start with and then you could branch out if you want something different. I have seen the wolfs and they look fine to me. In the northwest you have to use a number 11 cap or a musket cap with an exposed nipple. I think you said you were in south carolina so you probly can use the 209 primers and the wolf uses those. I would .....Now this may shock you......Buy that wolf in a heartbeat at $140. You will need a few accessories but if you read the book with it it will suggest some probably. A powder measure and of course cleaning supplies. Now the fun part. You will need to find the sweet load for your paticular gun and this intails a lot of shooting of different powders and powder charges and also bullet and powder combos. It is not as difficult as it sounds though. I use powerbelt bullets in both of my inlines but prefer the platinum ones in the .50 as the copper tend to fall apart when you hit the animal which is not good of course. Ok now the disclaimer....It is not cheaper than centerfire but is very addictive and will add another type of guns too your hunt at the stores. You will run into some great deals as nobody really knows what these are worth. Make sure and take a good light to look in the barrels of the used sidelocks to see if they were taken care of right before buying. Any other questions i will happily answer and good luck with your quest. :D :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I have a Savage 110 in 30.06 I bought in the 80's and it has an ugly brown stock. The o rings on my $79 bushnell scope finally failed and went for a $179 4 x 9 Leopold. (I am on a not made in china kick). I have shot and killed a lot of deer and hogs and they all fall down right where they are shot. I would't trade that rifle for anything.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

polymerase2 wrote:(I am on a not made in china kick)
Same here. :toast:

Though I often get home though with some purchase I didn't even consider it was made in China...only to find the mark after I open it up.
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Do you have any gun shops in your area, ponycarman, or are you restricted to wally world?
I've always found it good to strike up a relationship with a gun shop owner. They will be able to help you in an emergency, sometimes cut you breaks, there's a little camaraderie once the guys get to know you... I'm a big fan of supporting the small businessman, but sometimes we do need a walmart.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Wolf would do it for a start, most Eastern states allow inlines for hunting and they are very popularbut of course real men hunt with flintlocks :) You would have to hunt long and hard to beat Walmarts price for the Wolf, the 209 primers it uses can be found at most gunshops and the Wolk will work fine with substitute powders like 777, or Pyrodex if you can't find real black powder.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Awesome! We do have quite a few gun shops around here. But alot of them over price their firearms way high. I agree with building relationships with local dealers. But almost anytime I visit a local gun shop I'm shunned to the side because I look too young to purchase handguns and stuff. I've even had quite a few just walk off when they find out I'm "just looking today". Otherwise they are a good little drive from where I live. I'm going look around at the gun show today and see what I can find. I have a pistol to sell or trade to put toward a rifle. But from what I'm seen the savage I looked at in walmart is a walmart exclusive. Can't even find it on savages website lol. And walmart doesn't do trades or layaway :(. Before I get to sad haha I'm going to go to the gun show. Back in a few hours :D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

That's too bad about the gun shops in your area, Pony. Soome of them to like to get to know you before you are " in".
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I thinlk Big 5 has savage but you would have to wait for a sale. Up here the ace hardware stores all carry savage but the walmarts have no guns, go figure. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Haha its crazy. The show had alot of stuff but no killer deal that I just had to buy. The walmart price for both the savage and threw marlin was a good $50+ lower than anything similar at the show. Nothing came close to the cva either. Good news is I sold my keltec for right about what I had wanted. Got me about half that of the savages price. That is what I can swing. The muzzle loader will probably be next on the list haha.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

8-) 8-) :biggrin:
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Just got back from walmart with a new savage 30-06 :D pics coming soon

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

That's awesome! Congrats :)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet :biggrin: :biggrin:
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thanks guys! Here are some crappy cell phone pics in bad lighting lulz.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Alden

Post by Alden »

I love my Savage Mark II .22lr. It is my favorite varmint rifle.

The accutrigger is excellent.
Some people are like slinkies....

They are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet lookin too. It's kinda like buyin a new car to get one new in the box. Better take her out for a test drive to see how she handles. It sure looks nice. :biggrin:
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thanks guys! Im already iching to take it out to the range. Just from handling it more at home Im likeing it more. The accutrigger is superb. The scope doent seem bad either although I have nothing to compare it too. This is my first hunting rifle and my first scoped rifle. Come to think of it the only rifle Ive actually shot is my mosin haha. So this will be a fun an neat experience. When I was there today getting the rifle I noticed somee more muzzleloading stuff I over looked. The cva wolf was $169 marked down to $139 and they also had another cva inline. They had a cva optima with the thumbhole stock. It was a little above $200 though at $220ish I think. Both look very nice though. Im loving the savage so far. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:biggrin: :clap: :clap: :clap:
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Congratulations on your new rifle. :)
Not go HUNT somethin'! :D