No-date barrel shank

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
zhuk

Re: No-date barrel shank

Post by zhuk »

WeldonHunter wrote:
desdem12 wrote:Nice one. The carbine is a 1944 or an early 1945 as it only has one ear on the bayonet lug. This helps date it to that time period so it could very well be a 1944. :D
Yep, I was just going to post this. I had to look at one of my rifles to confirm it though. I can't remember all this stuff. :roll:

Appreciate the re-confirmation Weldon :)
TheSovietSamurai

Post by TheSovietSamurai »

zhuk wrote:
TheSovietSamurai wrote:I can't see the regulations changing anytime soon around here, at least not in our favor. My little "Collection" was almost shut down recently when the licensing and regulations division evaluated my latest permit and stated that they needed a written explanation as to why I required a fourth rifle of the same caliber (7.62x54R of course), and if it wasn't sufficient, my permit would be cancelled. The rifle was still sitting in the shop after postage and paid for, thankfully they let this one go through but I'm not sure that they'll allow me to acquire any more :(

Dammit, Samurai! And I thought you Victorians had it all over us, what with your (how many minutes is it now?) ridiculously short PTA-waiting times :brolleyes:

That is really ridiculous mate. Thank god NSW hasn't got that far - yet. We still have the "new" PTAs yet to come in so hey maybe they'll change it then :shifty:

Could it be feasible for you go for a Collectors licence?
I do plan on applying for a collectors license sometime soon, but I'm just trying to scope out whats involved with acquiring one.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

zhuk wrote:
millman wrote:That PTA sounds like a PITA. Is there any chance that you all will ever be able to turn back the clock on all of those regulations? Being a privilege, I suppose not. :vsad: Did you have to give anything up, when they first passed all those laws?
All I can say is more power to you. Glad to here there are still collectors down there. Please stop by the RMNF with any questions you may have.

Thanks for the kind invitation millman. Probably have quite a few questions to annoy you all with :)

Yeah we had to give up all semi-auto longarms in 1996, including semi/pump action shotguns (but rather bizarrely, not pump action rifles? :? ) So the majority who had little bunny-busting semi .22s lost them at that time. Relatively few people had what you might call the "military-style" centrefire semi autos anyway.

Next lot of laws passed in 2003 restricted the majority of competition handgun owners (as there is no other kind allowed!) to a maximum .38cal (over this permitted for hical metallic silhouette comps only)

So we keep on keeping on with what we have left. Thank god the powers that be never decided to lump milsurps into the "of military appearance" categorisation Lol
Dang. So what you are telling me is that there are none of these to be had.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

TheSovietSamurai wrote:
I do plan on applying for a collectors license sometime soon, but I'm just trying to scope out whats involved with acquiring one.

Well good luck with it mate. if you can do so it would be insurance against any of this crap in future.
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

millman wrote: Dang. So what you are telling me is that there are none of these to be had.

OK, now that was just cruel and unusual punishment :shifty: :shock: :lol:

/don't mind me, just wiping the drool :Drool1: lol
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Celt wrote:If the toilets flush counter clockwise down there.....is the rifling backwards too? :lol:
Yup, an Enfield made in Lithgow has a left handed twist :lol: sorry, couldn't help it :chuckles: I know it's a British design. :lol:

A max of .38 cal. handgun, so no S&W 29's allowed. :vsad:

On a serious note. I would love to visit your country, always been a something I wanted to do. And, since I missed your intro, :welcome: :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Greasemonkey wrote:
Celt wrote:If the toilets flush counter clockwise down there.....is the rifling backwards too? :lol:
Yup, an Enfield made in Lithgow has a left handed twist :lol: sorry, couldn't help it :chuckles: I know it's a British design. :lol:

A max of .38 cal. handgun, so no S&W 29's allowed. :vsad:

On a serious note. I would love to visit your country, always been a something I wanted to do. And, since I missed your intro, :welcome: :thumbsup:

Hey thanks for the welcome Greasemonkey :)

Yeah that Lithgow, let's pin it on the Poms shall we? Good idea Lol

What a nice .44 :thumbsup:

Yes you could shoot it, but only in high calibre metallic silhouette comps. Not in any other matches. I have a 9mm (used for IPSC), my two Russians (M1895 Nagant and a Tula-made 1936 Tokarev - with extra 6mm added to the barrel to make it 'legal' to shoot - yes forgot to mention semi auto minimum barrel length is 120mm, for no particular logical reason :shifty: ) and a .22 Ruger.

We would be happy to have you as a visitor, there's plenty of (good) beer to go around :biggrin:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

TheSovietSamurai wrote:I can't see the regulations changing anytime soon around here, at least not in our favor. My little "Collection" was almost shut down recently when the licensing and regulations division evaluated my latest permit and stated that they needed a written explanation as to why I required a fourth rifle of the same caliber (7.62x54R of course), and if it wasn't sufficient, my permit would be cancelled. The rifle was still sitting in the shop after postage and paid for, thankfully they let this one go through but I'm not sure that they'll allow me to acquire any more :(
They would have a collective heart attack if they had a peek at what I have squirreled away :chuckles: That sucks for sure.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

zhuk wrote:
millman wrote: Why is that? Do they think you are arming a 4 man subversive militia?

Sadly, as Samurai pounted out, pretty much all lawful firearm owners here are looked upon as subversives :x
The British army looked on American colonists exactly the same way, subversive misfits, and tried to take away their guns one sunny morning on 19 April 1775 at a place called Lexington not far from Boston Massachusetts. It didn't go as planned and the British had an interesting trip back to Boston, then lost a colony a few years later. A lesson our current government has trouble remembering, but we stand ready to remind them if need be. Fight for your rights, and if that fails then resist, a government that disarms it's people eventually ends up burning them.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

zhuk wrote:
millman wrote: Dang. So what you are telling me is that there are none of these to be had.

OK, now that was just cruel and unusual punishment :shifty: :shock: :lol:

/don't mind me, just wiping the drool :Drool1: lol
None of these either?
Theodore Roosevelt
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
They would have a collective heart attack if they had a peek at what I have squirreled away :chuckles: That sucks for sure.

I bet they would! :lol:

Samurai's state, Victoria, has some not too bad legislation (from an australian POV!) but this one sucks indeed. Can only hope that NSW doesn't decide to follow.

We recently had what is colloquially known as the "Ammo Bill" come into law where not only your licence but proof of address, amount of ammo, manufacturer must all be noted at purchase. Even worse for handgun ammunition, you can only purchase if you bring along your Registration papers for that particular firearm - which will also be noted down.

We are pretty damn uneasy at the prospect of gunshops now having lists of gun owners names, address, what firearms they own including rego numbers...all there for either criminals to hack into or unscrupulous individuals to sell them the info.

Ends up being pretty much a shopping list of who has what, and where they live :shock:

And this is 'meant' to stop gang-related shootings/organised crime. Bahahahaha :chuckles:
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: The British army looked on American colonists exactly the same way, subversive misfits, and tried to take away their guns one sunny morning on 19 April 1775 at a place called Lexington not far from Boston Massachusetts. It didn't go as planned and the British had an interesting trip back to Boston, then lost a colony a few years later. A lesson our current government has trouble remembering, but we stand ready to remind them if need be. Fight for your rights, and if that fails then resist, a government that disarms it's people eventually ends up burning them.

"Subversive misfits," yeah that rings a few bells :roll:

Our first gun control laws were enacted in 1790, two years after settlement of the colony. Not surprising the Govt wanted to control a population which had an ever-growing ex-convict component lol

It would certainly be easier if we had ever had legal 'rights' at all to fight to retain.
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: None of these either?

Oh OK, bringing out the 'big guns' now huh! :shifty: :lol:

Kalashnikovs (and their many variants) will always be my weakness...despite the fact I have only ever held one for a scant few minutes while in NZ earlier in the year. Dammit :b sad:

Pics are appreciated though (however tormenting lol)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They are fun, but they are not rifles you would want for accuracy shooting over distance greater that 200 years or so. The pictured one is Egyptian, made by Maddi and is a semi auto only, it's wearing East German stock parts as the Egyptian wood was horrible. Some of it's parts look as if a five year old cast them in a sandbox, but despite that the rifle functions perfectly, and has for 20 years with no issues. This is a stamped receiver model, I also have a milled receiver version made in Bulgaria but I have no pics of that at the moment, that one is a real work of art.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I see a nice IBM M1 carbine on the list for $1300, that's maybe $500 more than it would bring here, nice, handy carbines.
Theodore Roosevelt
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:They are fun, but they are not rifles you would want for accuracy shooting over distance greater that 200 years or so. The pictured one is Egyptian, made by Maddi and is a semi auto only, it's wearing East German stock parts as the Egyptian wood was horrible. Some of it's parts look as if a five year old cast them in a sandbox, but despite that the rifle functions perfectly, and has for 20 years with no issues. This is a stamped receiver model, I also have a milled receiver version made in Bulgaria but I have no pics of that at the moment, that one is a real work of art.

No, not made for long distance accuracy! But I guess their very unattainability adds to the attraction. There are just so many variants, I've seen some fantastic examples. Yes I bet your milled Bulgarian would be quite something :)

Same thing with ARs which lots of gun owners here lust after just as bad, and which as you would be all too aware are portrayed as the 'epitome of evil' itself by the antis :roll:

Like how you guys have commandeered the "EBR" label! Like that very much :D
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I see a nice IBM M1 carbine on the list for $1300, that's maybe $500 more than it would bring here, nice, handy carbines.

Like that very much. I have held an M1 carbine once, it was owned by a dealer (the 'other' category of people who are allowed to possess semi autos) who was at the range where my club shoots one day. Did feel great in the hand! I wished I could have had a shot of it.

Of course they got crushed back in '96, along with everything else I've mentioned. In one report of the time, a woman who took hers along to the police station to hand in, elected to see it destroyed (as some did, partly to make sure it wasn't surreptiously 'put aside' :shifty: )

She said it was like watching a family member get put down.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They try banning things here, or requiring registration and most of us ignore them just like thousands of New York gun owners are right now. Here they have to take them, and we will give them up one bullet at a time, they know that there are enough of us who would do this and haven't been too foolish in trying that stunt as yet. They well publicize gun " buy backs" in the large citys, but these tend to be very poor people turning in busted guns, or people who know nothing of guns, and would be unlikely to learn.

Shame about the crushed carbine, I suppose they compensated with some pittance of cash for it?
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

If you like AKs you would like my buddy. He stopped by one day to show me a couple of new toys he picked up.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Soviet laminated wood on that AK Erik?
Theodore Roosevelt