FN49, should I buy?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: FN49, should I buy?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:no2: :no2: :no2:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
srv1
ban
ban

Post by srv1 »

Well it is a NO GO on the 30-06 FN49 in PA. They will not sell it to me because it has a threaded barrel. Still waiting on my dealer for the Egyptian one. Hope I can at least get that one.

James
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh man that would have been a nice one!
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
srv1
ban
ban

Post by srv1 »

Well I am more than glad to give you the number of the store. Maybe they will ship it to you. I want it bad but I cannot blame the owner for the stupid laws in NY. I think I have a good chance in getting the Egyptian rifle.

James
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I am also in NY, and I gave up the C&R in 2009 , but I have two SAFN49's already :)
Theodore Roosevelt
srv1
ban
ban

Post by srv1 »

Do you mind if I ask why you got rid of your 03 FFL? I was thinking about getting one.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

srv1 wrote:Do you mind if I ask why you got rid of your 03 FFL? I was thinking about getting one.
I didn't want to be under Uncles thumb for any more time than three years I was. I decided to get one so I could load up on all the recent imports, I used the hell out of it for three years, bought so much I ran entirely out of room. The C&R is convenient, but while you have it you are not free to do as you like with your own property, and you must surrender your bound book, or open the collection to inspection on demand. It doesn't happen often, but it can. Three years accomplished what I needed it for.
Theodore Roosevelt
gurn

Post by gurn »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
srv1 wrote:Do you mind if I ask why you got rid of your 03 FFL? I was thinking about getting one.
I didn't want to be under Uncles thumb for any more time than three years I was. I decided to get one so I could load up on all the recent imports, I used the hell out of it for three years, bought so much I ran entirely out of room. The C&R is convenient, but while you have it you are not free to do as you like with your own property, and you must surrender your bound book, or open the collection to inspection on demand. It doesn't happen often, but it can. Three years accomplished what I needed it for.
Same story for me but I held on to mine for 6 yrs.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If I did that I would be living outside today as all the room inside would be needed for the guns. Not bad on a warm spring day, but a real bitch when it's a cold, rainy morning.
Theodore Roosevelt
gurn

Post by gurn »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:If I did that I would be living outside today as all the room inside would be needed for the guns. Not bad on a warm spring day, but a real bitch when it's a cold, rainy morning.
There is always the dog house ;mywink;
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The dog died ten years ago, the dog house is in poor repair these days, might as well be outside.
Theodore Roosevelt
srv1
ban
ban

Post by srv1 »

Well it is mine! I will pick it up later this week. Of course pictures will be posted! Still pissed about the other FN49.

James
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You got one though. I have not one. :cry: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
srv1
ban
ban

Post by srv1 »

desdem12 wrote:You got one though. I have not one. :cry: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Well I offered to give anyone the name of the dealer in PA that had the 30.06 but no one mentioned anything. It is probably gone now.

James
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

desdem12 wrote:You got one though. I have not one. :cry: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You would have to up that top bid of $123.45 considerably before you will see one :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Seriously broke at the moment. I have seen a couple of south american ones and they were in the 700 range. I could not even triple the 123.45 and be close.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Celt

Post by Celt »

:ani-pop: :ani-pop: :ani-pop:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

desdem12 wrote:Seriously broke at the moment. I have seen a couple of south american ones and they were in the 700 range. I could not even triple the 123.45 and be close.
They were not all that cheap even years ago when they first started showing up on the market. They are a semi auto that appeals to bolt rifle guys. No plastic, or tin stampings, but a brick shithouse solidness to it that is reminiscent of the wood and steel rifles of the bolt rifle era.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That is exactly it too. I have a short list of autos that I like. Hakim, FNs, ljungman, and mas 49s, M1 of course and I have one SKS. An M1A would be ok too. :thumbsup: