Just ordered 20 stripper clips for my Mosins

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Just ordered 20 stripper clips for my Mosins

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I bought 300 just to get one clip :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Deputy it was just pure magic that's how. I do know how you feel about boiling water though. I feel the same way about hydrochloric acid!:P my favorite clips are the blued clips from Bulgaria with the circle 10 on the back.
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

Been shooting co surplus ever since I got my first Mosin 10 years ago. That particular rifle has today a pit-free, well rifled (for the age and use) bore and shoots 3 inch groups on 200m.
I understand the mind-set of not using water, but it is my experience that water takes out the salts that you do not want in the barrel and elsewhere. And every rifle should be thoroughly cleaned after service, anyway. I shoot commercial only for hunting purposes, soft point etc.
During my time in the Forces my gunny said to us (boot camp): I better not catch one of you ladies using hot water on my rifles, although it helps a lot! But I want to see you cleaning your weapons as if they were your ......., I'll be back in 15 and better see no wet towel here! We figured out what that was supposed to mean....

As to the stripper clips....the ones that come with the 1952 LPS are all Ishevsk and work well. No comparison to any other Aftermarket Ones available, I trashed the 10 I had bought from CTD or somewhere.
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Uncle had a special formulated bore cleaner just for dealing with the salts, but the US stopped producing corrosive primed ammo in fifty four.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have read of soldiers using steam to clean their bores back during the corrosive era, specific mention was made of doing so to remove primer salts.
Theodore Roosevelt
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

My friend told me to use windex to clean after firing corrosive ammo. I haven't done it yet. Is this a good way to clean a Mosin?
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't know, smell reminds me of cat piss, I use boiling water down the pipe, and then just clean it with bore solvent, and oil it up once I am done.
Theodore Roosevelt
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

I have always used hot water, but was curious about the windex.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Squeeze the cat over the bore, same effect :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Lots of posts online about using Windex. Dennis Kroh from Empire Arms has a formula for ammonia/water that he recommends on his website:
http://www.empirearms.com/clean.htm

When I was in basic training the guys that went through the infiltration course or confidence course or whaever they call it now when they shoot live ammo over your head while you crawl through the mud, took their rifles in the showers with them and cleaned the mud and crud off that way. But that was for cleaning the external parts of the rifle. Not the bore and rifling. I have a stockpile of WW2 GI bore cleaner and it is made specifically for cleaning corrosive ammo. So all these stories of US soldiers using water or steam or animal excerement :beek: to clean the bores of there rifles during WW2 is questionable at best. Maybe the Gemrans used cat pee and that's why they lost? :vconfused:
I'm pretty sure the Germans used Ballistol during WW2, although I have yet to read any documentat5ion of them mixing it with water to clean their weapons, other than anecdotal stuff. For me...I leave the ammonia and cat pee for cleaning windows, the water for mixing with lemonade on a hot day, and non-corrosive ammo for shooting. :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

They used water in the revolutionary war and also in the civil war, indian wars probly against the zulus too. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

desdem12 wrote:They used water in the revolutionary war and also in the civil war, indian wars probly against the zulus too. :thumbsup:
Maybe because Hoppes and other bore cleaners weren't in production yet? :P
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Deputy wrote:Lots of posts online about using Windex. Dennis Kroh from Empire Arms has a formula for ammonia/water that he recommends on his website:

When I was in basic training the guys that went through the infiltration course or confidence course or whaever they call it now when they shoot live ammo over your head while you crawl through the mud, took their rifles in the showers with them and cleaned the mud and crud off that way. But that was for cleaning the external parts of the rifle. Not the bore and rifling. I have a stockpile of WW2 GI bore cleaner and it is made specifically for cleaning corrosive ammo. So all these stories of US soldiers using water or steam or animal excerement :beek: to clean the bores of there rifles during WW2 is questionable at best. Maybe the Gemrans used cat pee and that's why they lost? :vconfused:
I'm pretty sure the Germans used Ballistol during WW2, although I have yet to read any documentat5ion of them mixing it with water to clean their weapons, other than anecdotal stuff. For me...I leave the ammonia and cat pee for cleaning windows, the water for mixing with lemonade on a hot day, and non-corrosive ammo for shooting. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the link deputy :thumbsup:
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

hoshow wrote:
Deputy wrote:Lots of posts online about using Windex. Dennis Kroh from Empire Arms has a formula for ammonia/water that he recommends on his website:

Thanks for the link deputy :thumbsup:
Glad to help. Let me know if you use it and how well it works.

Dep
rideandslidejim

Post by rideandslidejim »

Got plenty of boiling water, so nobody better touch our cat ( PJ ) !!!!!!!!
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

All of the US black powder weapons required water for cleaning, no other way to do it. All black powder weapons anywhere for that matter. It wasn't until the low fouling smokeless powders were developed in 1886 that regular solvents for bore cleaning became possible.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cat piss is a description of the stink of windex, not an actual substance for cleaning bores, not in this reality anyway.
Theodore Roosevelt
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Cat piss is a description of the stink of windex, not an actual substance for cleaning bores, not in this reality anyway.
Ahhhh...but has anyone tried to USE cat piss? Maybe during the Battle of the Bulge the Germans found some kitties and turned them upside down and squeezed them over the Mausers?
:chuckles:

As to black powder, I'm old, but that is WAY before my time :lol: . I heard that modern black powder shooters use something called "moose milk" to clean their guns.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 2.html&amp&
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You have not experienced real fouling until you have experienced black powder fouling from real black powder. Walk across a muddy field and look at your boots, paint the mud black and that's BP fouling :) Like surplus ammo BP is highly corrosive and must be cleaned ASAP, they put a patch under the hammer to block the cone, or a toothpick in the flintlock's vent hole. They filled the barrel with hot water, and plugged the muzzle with a wooden plug, then shook the rifle vigorously, poured the black water out and then did it over and over until it ran clean and then moped it out with a bit of old rag. Whale oil was applied as a preservative.
Theodore Roosevelt
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Back to the stripper clip conversation, Deputy I bought 40 chargers off a member on another forum last year when they first started reappearing on the market. I have been very happy with every one I received. I load them with 1970's Soviet light ball, but I'm sure they will work just as well with commercial ammo too.