New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Longcolt44 »

We need pictures to ID it better, then post it on the regular Mosin Collectable forum. As for what to do with the scope...put it on a shelf and don't be creative
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
LaineL

Post by LaineL »

Hey all, Just bought my first Mosin, as far as I can tell it is a 1936 Izhevsk Hex, Going to post pictures to get a bit more information, I think it may be a dragoon but I have no idea.
mwbesemer

Post by mwbesemer »

A few days ago, my college-age son sent me a text asking if we could get a Mosin Nagant. I've been around guns all my life and still reload/shoot actively, but I had to admit to him that I know little to nothing about the Mosin. Speaking with him again this weekend, he told me he's only interested in a gun manufactured in Russia. After checking around a bit, I'm not finding the 'cheap' prices referenced in a lot of the videos and links he sent me. So... where do I start? We want something we can shoot; probably won't be used for hunting, but we definitely want to do some target shooting with it. And, we'd like something that looks reasonably good - and it would be nice to have all the accessories with it. This will be 'my' rifle, but it will be left to him when I die. I'd like to hear recommendations about what I ought to be looking for and where I need to start looking and how much I should reasonably expect to pay.
mwbesemer

Post by mwbesemer »

Just noticed that the ‘Cleaning a Mosin’ link under ‘ID Marks and Technical’ is incorrect. As it is, the link takes you to the ‘Mosin Parts and Description’ page. The link should be changed to <app.php/page/48>
Shadowglitch1234

Post by Shadowglitch1234 »

Hello all, very new here and have a possibly rare 1933 m27
just hoping to find a little more information here.
Shadowglitch1234

Post by Shadowglitch1234 »

Hello Im very new to the boards hoping im putting this in the right place! LOL
have an M27 I won in a Super Bowl pool at work 2 years ago and would like to learn more about it.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Shadowglitch1234 wrote:Hello Im very new to the boards hoping im putting this in the right place! LOL
have an M27 I won in a Super Bowl pool at work 2 years ago and would like to learn more about it.
Post pictures of it in the Collectible Mosin section. We will help you figure it out. Welcome aboard.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

spongemonkey wrote:Hello everyone! New guy here referred by capt14k. Was over on gunboards but decided to try this site as well. I have 2 91/30 sniper rifles, 2 M44 rifles in laminated stocks, several T53s, several SKS rifles from different countries etc. etc. Glad to be here and please bear with me as I feel my way around.
:alien:

We are Preservationist's first & foremost... Welcome to the Forum. :D
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

millman wrote:
Shadowglitch1234 wrote:Hello Im very new to the boards hoping im putting this in the right place! LOL
Post pictures of it in the Collectible Mosin section. We will help you figure it out. Welcome aboard.
:pointup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Fozzybear

Post by Fozzybear »

Hello everybody! Just joined up. thought I already had, but apparently I was wrong. Have 3 Swiss surplus, M48A, and now 6 Mosins.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Fozzybear wrote:Hello everybody! Just joined up. thought I already had, but apparently I was wrong. Have 3 Swiss surplus, M48A, and now 6 Mosins.
Welcome,

Perhaps you didn't make a "first post". That will get the account deleted after 5 days.

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

mwbesemer wrote:Just noticed that the ‘Cleaning a Mosin’ link under ‘ID Marks and Technical’ is incorrect. As it is, the link takes you to the ‘Mosin Parts and Description’ page. The link should be changed to <app.php/page/48>
Welcome, that has been corrected.
Thank you
Dolk
Duwan

Post by Duwan »

Hello everyone. New guy here. Thanks for allowing me to join the group. I'm fairly new to collecting Mosins, and trying to learn everything there is to know about these rifles ( don't really think that's possible). I think I have a fairly good "starter collection" and will post a picture as soon as I learn my way around the forum and figure out how to do stuff like that. But right now I have 12 Mosins (2 actually belong to my father, but they have taken up permanent residence at my house) consisting of M39, M27, Finn 91/30, M44, a few ex dragoons, and some assorted round receivers 91/30.
Fozzybear

Post by Fozzybear »

dolk wrote:
Fozzybear wrote:Hello everybody! Just joined up. thought I already had, but apparently I was wrong. Have 3 Swiss surplus, M48A, and now 6 Mosins.
Welcome,

Perhaps you didn't make a "first post". That will get the account deleted after 5 days.

Dolk
That is entirely possible. I do a lot of surfing before sleeping and probably conked out, then forgot.
Jager111

Post by Jager111 »

Greetings from WI-

Well fellas- I'm a Winter War buff looking for a ski-troop rifle and a reenactment group in the US.

For me- it's all about the rifle and culture surrounding these fascinating firearms. While I have a specialized interest in Finnish martial culture and military history- I'm generally just a student of the preservation of history and its relics.

I'm looking for guidance on locating a ski-troop rifle- and really all things Mosin. I own only one. That's about to change!

Looking forward to meeting you all and learning from each of you.

Kind Regards,

Jager111
“The wolves will eat well this winter.”
Jager111

Post by Jager111 »

Hi Guys. I'm looking forward to learning and getting to know this community and these firearms better. I've just begun looking into the Finnish Mosin rifles and have a strong interest in ski trooper rifles, Winter War history and reenactment. These rifles have a distinctive and complex character and I hope to find that similar something in the folks I meet here. I also hope to rise to level of contributing to the larger conversation about not only the history and technical aspects of the firearm- but those who have fought with them.
“The wolves will eat well this winter.”
LLS

Post by LLS »

Gentlemen, I have a Russian sniper and I wish to find out if it is lagit.
thatcaliforniaguy

Post by thatcaliforniaguy »

Hi,

just joined to ask a question, my brother in law wanted to clean the gun and not knowing he couldn't use the bolt connector to screw the firing pin back in place the metal between the forks started to split. the length of it is about 0.4 inches. Is this unsafe to shoot?

grtz,

Joe :wink:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

thatcaliforniaguy wrote:Hi,

just joined to ask a question, my brother in law wanted to clean the gun and not knowing he couldn't use the bolt connector to screw the firing pin back in place the metal between the forks started to split. the length of it is about 0.4 inches. Is this unsafe to shoot?

grtz,

Joe :wink:
Probably not, but we need to see some good close up pictures of the damage to know better. Start a new thread over on the Mosin board, post the pictures and the members will see it. You should have been able to use the transfer bar as you did, it should not have split, it was probably either weak to start with or you tried to tighten to hard.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
cubamauser

Post by cubamauser »

Good morning everyone. This board was suggested to me by a friend and so I thought I would sign up. I'm an avid collector with an affinity for American martial arms but honestly if it's a milsurp it makes my mouth water. I look forward to meeting the members of the forum and thanks to the mods for working to keep forums like this open.