New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Kdaye87

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Kdaye87 »

Hey everybody new to the forum. Just got my first rifle yesterday. A 1954 Romanian M44. A little beat up and needs some TLC but still shoots just fine.
Wagontrainer66

Post by Wagontrainer66 »

Thanks for adding me.I have to say in advance that I know very little about the Mosin Nagants,but hope you all will bear with me as I learn.i have owned several over the years and still have a Chinese Type 53,and 2- 91/30's and have failed to shoot them until earlier this week and have to say I am hooked.When the Ammo buying frenzy was going on because of our current Administration I was being a Cheapo and buying some of the Bulgarian and Russian 7.62x54r Ammo at decent prices and now I am glad I did.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Wagontrainer66 wrote:Thanks for adding me.I have to say in advance that I know very little about the Mosin Nagants,but hope you all will bear with me as I learn.i have owned several over the years and still have a Chinese Type 53,and 2- 91/30's and have failed to shoot them until earlier this week and have to say I am hooked.When the Ammo buying frenzy was going on because of our current Administration I was being a Cheapo and buying some of the Bulgarian and Russian 7.62x54r Ammo at decent prices and now I am glad I did.
Welcome to the forum and you better be glad you bought that ammo when you did. Who knows when we'll see more if ever. at a decent price. The one thing to remember about surplus ammo and firearms is it's rarely ever going to be cheaper than it is right now. There's a finite amount of it and when it starts running out prices go up and then it's gone except for small expensive dribbs and drabbs. This shortage is mostly because of conflict in that area, specifically Ukraine, where a lot of this came through. We might see more some time down the road but that's debatable.
Wagontrainer66

Post by Wagontrainer66 »

I do see it for sale at a couple of places,but a lot higher than it was a year ago.Do you mind me asking what part of Louisiana you are from?
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Wagontrainer66 wrote:I do see it for sale at a couple of places,but a lot higher than it was a year ago.Do you mind me asking what part of Louisiana you are from?
I'm in north central, up by the Arkansas border Claiborne Parish. The price on 54R surplus is nuts now, $150+/440rds. I bought crap loads of it when it was $62.50/440rds tins and $110 or $120/880rd crates. I learned about a decade before that surplus never really gets cheaper so the $40 tin I'd bought 10 years before was now $62.50 and I stocked up. My moto is buy it cheap and stack it deep.
Wagontrainer66

Post by Wagontrainer66 »

You did good,I was paying anywhere from $90 to $120 shipped per 440rds,but I think those days are long gone.My problem is having too many different Calibers to try to stock.I need to sell some but can't get myself to do it.
Ukko pekka

Post by Ukko pekka »

Hello all. I joined this forum because I just bought my 1st mosin. An M39 vkt 1942. Very good Rifle. Plan on getting more in the future.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Witchdoctor

New on board.

Post by Witchdoctor »

Hello all...have looked in in this forum for a while getting info and thought I'd join. Got my first 91/30 in December, 2nd about six weeks ago and will be picking up my third in about two to three weeks.
MGUNNY

Post by MGUNNY »

Hello I hope that someone here has a cure for Mosinitis or at least some info on how to live with it
MGUNNY
MGNYSGT USMC 1965-1992
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

MGUNNY wrote:Hello I hope that someone here has a cure for Mosinitis or at least some info on how to live with it
MGUNNY
Welcome Gunny. To date there's no cure for Mosinitis, all we can do is treat the symptoms and that's just to learn about them and jump on every good deal you can find. It's kind of a standard treatment for all milsurp collectibles ;)
kwickers

Post by kwickers »

Hi all, Just purchased my first Mosin! Can you tell me more about what model I have, like where it was made or used or anything... based on some photos of the numbers engraved on it?

Here is One: Image
<br>
Here is two: Image
<br>
Here is three: Image
<br>
Here is four: Image

Thanks, Keith
Kwickers
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

It is a 1943 Izhevsk.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
phoenixrising

Post by phoenixrising »

hey everyone!

just joined the board, but i've come across it many times in the past through google searches.

i was late to the game. mosinitis hit me about 4 years ago, right around the time for a standard 91/30 retailed at about $129 and $99 on sale. by then, all the big stores were shopped pretty hard for rare variants, but once in a blue moon, i lucked out and scored something neat.

here is an older family picture of my mosin collection as of last summer.

on the rack top to bottom:
  • izhevsk wartime 91/30 (my first mosin)
    izhevsk pu 91/30
    scrubbed balkan 91/30 in a laminate stock.
left to right:
  • 91/59
    hungarian m44
    izhevsk m44
    chinese t53
    izhevsk m38
    wz48 22lr trainer
    a tula hex 91/30
    a tula triple date mo 91/30
    standard wartime izhevsk 91/30 (my second mosin)
    izhevsk ex-dragoon 91/30
    finn westinghouse m91
    antique finn tula m91
    vkt m39.
since then i've added what appears to be an scw 91/30 sitting in a finn m91 stock. really odd, but for the price, i had to have it. no pictures of that one on the computer at the moment, so if there's interest, i'll post it later.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Very nice.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
teamlosiracing

Post by teamlosiracing »

Hello all,

I'm Paul,I'm twenty years old. I'm from France. I have 2 Mosins and my brother have one Mosin.
I come in this forum because I have a problem with my PU scope for my 1944 mosin. A lens is broken.
I hope I will find the answers to my questions.

Best regards,

Paul.
Tredegar

Post by Tredegar »

Are Mosins addictive? I sold off my collection years ago.
This week I cleaned up and head spaced "an old war surplus rifle" a friend found.
Now I must...... must........ must...get one for me! Maybe get more more more. One is never enough.
Precious, the Precious! :)
ddmoit

Post by ddmoit »

Just checking in from SE Tennessee. Currently in possession of 5 Mosins: 3 fairly ordinary 91/30s, a recently acquired M44, and and a 1960 Factory 26 T53 that appears to have been used hard and put away wet. It still functions though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MosinNagant1954

Post by MosinNagant1954 »

Hello Folks!

I'm Roger and the proud new owner of a M-39 via Classic Firearms. Had it for about two weeks and already got my eye on a 9130. Also got some education on cosmoline... don't use your wife' s pans for cleaning parts :redfaced: Sure is a lot of info on these weapons. I had seen a crate of them at a LGS (my first intro to them) about a year and a half ago. Been in the back of my mind since, then....Hickok45 and Mosin Crate. I watched his reviews and one thing lead to another. Now I see one at another LGS down the street. Hmmm? Yup I want another.

Rog
Robert4

Post by Robert4 »

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and looking forward to interacting with all of you! I've got a few new Mosins that I will be posting soon.
M91 1915 Izhevsk
91/30 1925 Updated Dragoon Tula
M39 1941 Izhevsk
M44 1944 Izhevsk
Nagant M1895 1944 Izhevsk
M1 Garand 1955 Harrington & Richardson
1903A3 1943 Remington
M95 Steyr

82nd Airborne
1-504 PIR
Red Devils
targetman

Post by targetman »

Hey everyone. I'm new to the Mosin world. Never really been into military rifles. My 11 year old son just introduced me to the Mosin. Looks like we are shopping for our first rifle.