New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ground ape

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by ground ape »

Hi all, I was given a cut down Mk 4 Enfield recently, the first gun I've owned in years, and I now have a refurbished interest in guns. I immediately sought knowledge via Google and almost as quickly discovered Mosin Nagant. Infection was immediate and after combing the local sources purchased a 1940 Tula 91/30 round receiver with screwed escutcheons and a broken layer of thick varnish on the wood. I do have a question, after going over the barrel numbers with 7.62 57R.net I come up with the upper most point on the Tula star with an S and P in Cyrillic on either side indicating sniper grade but there are no filled in scope mountings on the receiver. :What is happening here? I hope this hasn't just been covered. This is a really great site.
hpracing

Post by hpracing »

Mark from Louisiana, Grandfather gave me a tula m91 with a cut stock when I was 10. Have been slowly bringing it back to as original configuration as possible. Shot it after 25+ years on the shelf. Have been looking for a good replacement stock FOREVER

Also have a post war M44. Me and my boy like to shoot it for the flames.

Love bolt action WW2 era longarms. Love military surplus in general for that matter. Nothing like the surplus character!
DAK+35

Post by DAK+35 »

Hi. Looking forward to good M-N information.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

DAK+35 wrote:Hi. Looking forward to good M-N information.
I see you made it!!!!

Welcome to all the new members. Post some photos of your Mosins! We love photos here!

Dolk
MyakkaSkunkApe

Post by MyakkaSkunkApe »

What upload site do most people use to size photos for forum posting?
Narley

Post by Narley »

Trying the photo posting, to see if it work right or wrong... 1st try

Narley

Post by Narley »

So do I need to resize my photo ? I am using photo bucket.. I just uploaded the standard size to photo bucket, but I think I can upload them in a smaller size, so may help on posting size... All advice accepted.... TYIA
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Narley wrote:So do I need to resize my photo ? I am using photo bucket.. I just uploaded the standard size to photo bucket, but I think I can upload them in a smaller size, so may help on posting size... All advice accepted.... TYIA
At photobucket, hover over your pic in the upper right corner and click account settings.
On that page click the albums tab.
Then at the bottom click the upload options. Here you can choose the size the pics are displayed when linked. 640x480 is the largest we can display on this forum.

I also like to turn of the link back option. This turns of the code to make your posted pics linkable with a click. It also cleans up the code when posting multiple pics in a post.

:cam2.gif: :welcome:
Kollaa kestää
Narley

Post by Narley »

Thanks Lee..
So should I down size them when I upload them, I uploaded some so I could post them, or should I just downsize them when I link them ??
When I click on the above it shows it as 800 x 533 so did it display or was it too large, Just curious on that, I will try to downsize any I post, so is the 640 x 480 what is best to post at, or should I try to be smaller than that.. I was trying to do some pictures to show markings so did not know if I should upload them smaller, or leave them the normal size from my camera.. Thanks again Lee...

I did resize this at 640 x 426
Narley

Post by Narley »

Okay, I went back and changed the upload size to 640 x 480 and will repost one from that album and see if it changes it..
Hope this works okay.. Thanks Lee
Narley

Post by Narley »

Guess it does not work on the album if it is uploaded before, at least when I click on the above one, shows 800 x 533 So I assume I may need to reload the album to Photo Bucket to get them downsized, or just down size them if I want to post them... Not that great of pictures anyway, was kind of overcast when I took them, but was trying to show the markings, more than the overall picture... I am a work in progress type of guy.
Outlaw1

Post by Outlaw1 »

I finally got a Mosin Nagant 91/30, Found a real nice 1942 Izhevsk at my local pawn shop for $143 complete with sling and ammo pouches. Question is what is the triangle with a 1 stamped inside mean?
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Outlaw1 wrote:I finally got a Mosin Nagant 91/30, Found a real nice 1942 Izhevsk at my local pawn shop for $143 complete with sling and ammo pouches. Question is what is the triangle with a 1 stamped inside mean?
It is a refurbishment mark.

Triangle 1 -- 1871st ABV Moscow Military District.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/mis ... index.html
Kollaa kestää
Narley

Post by Narley »

Last test on the pictures - I hope.. This one was uploaded before resizing the album upload size...
Trunnion

Post by Trunnion »

Hello! Posting from Newfoundland Canada. Long time Mosinite! Also love the SKS and SVT!

Dave
wacman85

Post by wacman85 »

new member here but post on other forums so not new to forums in general. did find out i need to learn how to re-size my pics their to big to post. not great with computers. only been collecting little over a year but have about 30+rifles of different makes. did the cheap russian thing a first but have been into Finnish rifles big time the last few months, m39's i like best. trying it out here to learn more.
Bluewizard

Post by Bluewizard »

Good day,

Just picked up a 1942 Izhevsk, round receiver, and will be looking for assistance in keeping it as original as possible. Looking forward to scouring the site.

Thanks
Spaff

Post by Spaff »

New to the board and Mosins. Really a great resource. I have a 1929 Tula and a 1944 M44. Just bought 2 spam cans of ammo and can't wait to shoot them.
EastCoastCollector

Post by EastCoastCollector »

Hey everybody.

Canadian collector here. Various Soviet weaponry but Mosins: 1942 PU, 1945 M44, 2 1942/1943 91/30's and just acquired a Balkan refurb 91/30. Cheers everyone and hope to learn everything I can.
tpamdx1

Post by tpamdx1 »

Hello,

Another new member here. I'm new to the Mosin Nagant world but am not new to firearms. I recently picked a 1943 Izhevsk 91/30 and a 1952 Polish M44. Looking forward to learning a lot from this forum.

John