New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

canadianmosin wrote:Hey everyone, new member from Canada, new to the mosin world as well. Picked up a 1944 PU and looking to get more info about it.
This site is great!
Welcome to the board :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

RussiaInPA wrote:Hi all. I've turned myself into a self-made Mosin "expert" and am eager to share my knowledge with other Mosin enthusiasts as well as learn some new things about the rifles I enjoy so much.
Welcome to the board, you know what's said about "experts" right? The expert knows exactly what toilet paper is for and can regale you with all the details of how it's made, and marketed, the layman however knows to make sure it's on the little spool before sitting down. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mosin Plinker wrote:Hey everyone, I'm new. I've got a Ishevsk 1939 M91/30 standard version. Bayonet, butt plate, magazine, bolt and barrel serial numbers match. Are there any records to indicate which regiment or what locale this rifle might have been shipped to from the factory?

So I did a 15 yard baseline at the range, shooting 10 shots from each of my rifles, supported, with iron sights. The Ruger 10/22 had a ~3/4ths inch radius grouping. AR-15 was about 7/8" radius grouping. Poor Mosin was like 2.5" radius grouping. Like, I can shoot a pistol unsupported with similar accuracy to my Mosin while the Mosin rests on a bean bag so I can hold it totally steady. Now I'm wondering, did I pick up the especially inaccurate Mosin, or is such inaccuracy normal for Mosins? I only own 1, so I can't compare with other Mosins.

Thanks.
Welcome to the board, when you buy a 60-120 year old used military rifle any sort of performance from perfect 1" groups at 200 yards to shotgun pattern at ten feet is to be expected. You just never know what you are going to get.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

fullroast wrote:Hello - new to the forum. I am a mil surplus fan, mostly Mosins and SKSs, but there are few that I don't like. Found some good information here. Thanks for providing.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
berylak47

Post by berylak47 »

Hello everyone. New Mosin owner here. I got a 1938 Izhevsk 91/30 last month and I really like it. I am also a regular on the AK Files and FAL Files as "Beryl".
tommy9971

pu sniper

Post by tommy9971 »

Hey guys. Just got my first pu sniper. Mine does not have scope numbers stamped on the barrel. Looks like they may have been scrubbed. It is a1943 Izhevsk. Is this common? Thanks!
vandeda

Post by vandeda »

Good evening. It's always awkward being the newb (at least to me it is lol), but I'm new to mil surplus rifles, so I'm looking to learn. Unfortunately, it looks I got a bit late into the game with the increasing prices, but such is life. So, hopefully I will be able to learn something new here (hopefully be able to contribute something useful too someday).
dakotabear1

Post by dakotabear1 »

Hi, I'm Craig, a new member today. I purchased my first Mosin sometime back in the early 1980's....It was a mint, blonde stocked Hungarian model 44. Couldn't find ammo then except for Norma, so I got into re- loading 54r pretty quickly. That gun has long been traded off ,but my love for mosin still carries on. I like looking at all the pictures of your rifles and am looking forward to lots of reading and info about Mosins.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Welcome to the forum dakotabear1 :welcome3: :welcome3: Well I hope you pick up another soon, ammo is plentiful nowadays.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

vandeda wrote: Unfortunately, it looks I got a bit late into the game with the increasing prices, but such is life.
Welcome aboard vandeda, there's still a few online stores selling 91/30's for around $180 + or-. I believe Classis had some recently for that price.
:welcome:
fopsecretary

Post by fopsecretary »

Greetings,

I recently came into possession of a Mosin Nagant rifle. My initial search results were not very helpful in trying to determine what I actually have. I do know all the four serial number locations are different and it appears to have come originally from the Tula Arsenel. The barrel date appears to be 1937 and the serial is 40545. Any help would be much appreciated. There sure are a lot of variations of this rifle. :facepalm1:

Thanks in advance.
Crackerjack

Post by Crackerjack »

Had some computer troubles, was formerly Crackerbrown am now Crackerjack.
jurob

Post by jurob »

Hello everyone, my name is Rob and just got my first Mosin Nagant, actually I got 2. Both are 91/30's; 1 is a 1943 Izhevsk and the second is a 1895 Tula that has had the stock replaced with a aftermarket. I will be looking for a replacement factory stock soon as I prefer the original look.

Great site and can't wait to learn more about these rifles.
96ws6

Post by 96ws6 »

hi im here
Recoil

Post by Recoil »

Hi all,

Im a newbie to the site visiting from Australia. Here I mostly shoot in military service matches with 303 Lithgow, 6.5 Swede, ive just purchased my first 1942 Izhevsk 91/30 yesterday. Now ill have to wait a week for it to turn up then... I just need to add a M44, M38, PU sniper etc. :lol:

I enjoy shooting the 91/30 and always borrowed from a club member (although his was a finish capture), found this one turn up at a great price and couldn't resist!

Cheers,

Ryan
zrea1

Post by zrea1 »

Hello! I am Zachary Blossom. I own a 1939 hex Mosin and am currently in the market for an m44,
j curtis 1964

Post by j curtis 1964 »

Greetings from San Antonio, Texas. Glad to be a part of this forum. So far, I've go an all matching 1928 91/30 and 1943 m44. I also have a 1938 Nagant revolver. Once again, glad to be here, and looking forward to making lots of new friends.
lilstinker762

Post by lilstinker762 »

Hello all. First day here, recently got me a new Mosin (new to me that is) and looking to talk all things Mosin.
MosinMan1998

Post by MosinMan1998 »

Hey guys! Just bought my first Mosin-Nagant M91/30 yesterday and I have a couple questions. So I am wanting to use my Mosin for hunting/shooting for fun and I don't know what ammo to use? I was looking at WOLF 203 grain soft-point ammo. Also, what do you guys think about scopes? This is the one I have been looking at. I am not planning to ruin the historical value at all btw, just wanna know. Thank you!
ol scratch

Post by ol scratch »

Hello. I am a passive milsurp collector, but sort of new to the collecting world of Mosin Nagant rifles. I own several M1 Garands (IHC, Winchester, HRA and Springfield), a few 1903's, one 1903a3, an M1 Carbine, two Star B's, one is a TRUE Nazi contract (June 6, 1944), P64 Radom, CZ 82. The first rifle I purchased after leaving home was an Imperial Mosin with a hex receiver. I burned the barrel up with corrosive because I failed to clean it. The rifle was disassembled and cut up (yeah, one of my regrets. It still bugs me). That was almost 20 years ago. I purchased an M91/30 PU a few years ago and am just getting into Mosins. At this time, it is the only Mosin I own.