New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ptfd149

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by ptfd149 »

Thanks for this group. I'm Rob from Hell Mi. I have a M44 Mosin made in 1945 numbers all match. Great rifle. I'm amazed that the M44s are getting harder to find. Glad I got mine before they dry up and the price goes way up.

If You Ain't Cav, You Ain't Shit!
Lord of Dorkness

Post by Lord of Dorkness »

Howdy. I'm Jason and I just purchased my first firearm, a 1942 91/30. Can't wait to get it onto the range.
sel511

Post by sel511 »

Hello, my name is Steve. Just got a '38 Tula 91-30 red letter. Been trying to research the /25\ mystery. Ammo on the way, the range next week.
Mochi

Post by Mochi »

sel511 wrote:Hello, my name is Steve. Just got a '38 Tula 91-30 red letter. Been trying to research the /25\ mystery. Ammo on the way, the range next week.
Welcome Steve, if you can make it 90 days without buying an other Mosin you get your first chip. You will put up a picture for us some where in here?
SHTF definition; one day they will ask you to surrender firearms for a promise of compensation... you will not comply
fendermain

Post by fendermain »

Hi. I have been lurking here to learn about my 91/30 1941 laminate and m44 1945 all matching numbers. I checked the headspace with a no-go gauge and both passed. Just waiting to take them to the range. Thanks, John aka fendermain.
canadianmosin

Post by canadianmosin »

Hey everyone, new member from Canada, new to the mosin world as well. Picked up a 1944 PU and looking to get more info about it.
This site is great!
canadianmosin

Post by canadianmosin »

New member from Canada, new to the mosin world, recently picked up a 1944 PU and looking for infos.
great site btw!
RussiaInPA

Post by RussiaInPA »

Hi all. I've turned myself into a self-made Mosin "expert" and am eager to share my knowledge with other Mosin enthusiasts as well as learn some new things about the rifles I enjoy so much.
Mosin Plinker

Post by Mosin Plinker »

Hey everyone, I'm new. I've got a Ishevsk 1939 M91/30 standard version. Bayonet, butt plate, magazine, bolt and barrel serial numbers match. Are there any records to indicate which regiment or what locale this rifle might have been shipped to from the factory?

So I did a 15 yard baseline at the range, shooting 10 shots from each of my rifles, supported, with iron sights. The Ruger 10/22 had a ~3/4ths inch radius grouping. AR-15 was about 7/8" radius grouping. Poor Mosin was like 2.5" radius grouping. Like, I can shoot a pistol unsupported with similar accuracy to my Mosin while the Mosin rests on a bean bag so I can hold it totally steady. Now I'm wondering, did I pick up the especially inaccurate Mosin, or is such inaccuracy normal for Mosins? I only own 1, so I can't compare with other Mosins.

Thanks.
fullroast

Post by fullroast »

Hello - new to the forum. I am a mil surplus fan, mostly Mosins and SKSs, but there are few that I don't like. Found some good information here. Thanks for providing.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Mosin Plinker wrote:Hey everyone, I'm new. I've got a Ishevsk 1939 M91/30 standard version. Bayonet, butt plate, magazine, bolt and barrel serial numbers match. Are there any records to indicate which regiment or what locale this rifle might have been shipped to from the factory?

So I did a 15 yard baseline at the range, shooting 10 shots from each of my rifles, supported, with iron sights. The Ruger 10/22 had a ~3/4ths inch radius grouping. AR-15 was about 7/8" radius grouping. Poor Mosin was like 2.5" radius grouping. Like, I can shoot a pistol unsupported with similar accuracy to my Mosin while the Mosin rests on a bean bag so I can hold it totally steady. Now I'm wondering, did I pick up the especially inaccurate Mosin, or is such inaccuracy normal for Mosins? I only own 1, so I can't compare with other Mosins.

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum. To answer your first question, no there's no records that I'm aware of showing where any of these rifles were sent upon manufacture. The other thing to take into consideration is chances are the rifle you have has been through refurbishment and is most likely made up of parts from many other rifles. The other part about it not being accurate can be explained by a few things like a worn crown or rifling. The other thing to remember is though some of these rifles are very accurate on the whole they were not designed to be used at such close range, 15 yards and aren't known for being tack drivers. They was usually used to shoot at 100 meters or further and were designed to hit a man at center mass. I believe they instructed those carrying these to aim for the belt buckle. You might want to start a thread with pictures in the collectible Mosin Nagant section of the forum and you'll get a lot of info. about the rifle you have.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

YankeeZulu wrote:YankeeZulu here. :vcool:

Avid gun guy for quite some time now. The lion's share of my safe is state-of-the-art hardware but I recently acquired a '45 Izhmaesh M44 fixer-upper and got the "Mosin Fever." The restoration is coming along well. These rifles really are addictive.

Anyhoo- looking forward to learning all I can in here.

Cheers- YZ :thumbsup:
Welcome to the board if I ain't said so already someplace else :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

rickplayer wrote:Hello all!

Jon
Welcome to the board Jon :vcool: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mochi wrote:Yep I'm here, looking for clues to the Mosin Nagant fetish. Why do we like them... not sure but they grow on you somehow.
Welcome to the board if I ain't said it already in another thread :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

rebsunrise wrote:Hello everybody. I only have one Mosin 1891 mfg 1910 one heck of a shooter. I am here to learn about this fine rifle.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

PsychoNo9X wrote:Hello! Am Mike from Baltimore, Maryland. USA. I saw that this forum was frequently mentioned on another gun forum(MDShooters.com) that I am a member of, so here I am. Hope to learn ALOT from you folks and hopefully contribute aswell. :thumbsup:
Hello Mike, welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ptfd149 wrote:Thanks for this group. I'm Rob from Hell Mi. I have a M44 Mosin made in 1945 numbers all match. Great rifle. I'm amazed that the M44s are getting harder to find. Glad I got mine before they dry up and the price goes way up.

If You Ain't Cav, You Ain't Shit!
Hello Rob, welcome to the board, my Uncle was 1st Cav in the big two, tough man till the day he passed. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Lord of Dorkness wrote:Howdy. I'm Jason and I just purchased my first firearm, a 1942 91/30. Can't wait to get it onto the range.
Welcome to the board Jason :thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

sel511 wrote:Hello, my name is Steve. Just got a '38 Tula 91-30 red letter. Been trying to research the /25\ mystery. Ammo on the way, the range next week.
Welcome to the board Steve :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

fendermain wrote:Hi. I have been lurking here to learn about my 91/30 1941 laminate and m44 1945 all matching numbers. I checked the headspace with a no-go gauge and both passed. Just waiting to take them to the range. Thanks, John aka fendermain.
Welcome to the board John. :vcool: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt