New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Elvis wrote:Hello all.

I'm new here.
I'm intesting in ww2 guns and want to buy a mosin nagant sniper gun.
I'm no expert so I like to get some information about this rifles.

Greetings Elvis
Welcome to the board, Elvis is in the building... :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

gcurtzwi wrote:Hello all. Just recently picked up a 1943 M91/30 and I'm new to Mosins. Quite excited to take it out to the range!
Welcome to the board :vcool: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Bulriver wrote:Hi, posting this so I am in before the 3 day lock:-)

My search for info on the Tulsky imported rifles lead me here.

These are starting to show up in Canada. I picked up a 43 Tula with a 43 dated Kazan scope yesterday. I has the T in a circle in a triangle mark.

I am finding lots of good info on your site.
Welcome to the board, you might want to post this rifle in the sniper forum, more will see it there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

grendal wrote:Hello all , I have just acquired my first mosin, its a 1842r? In great shape. Rifling is super strong my question is the barrel has fairly sharp rings on the chamber area closest to the receiver , looks like a newly turned round d metal bar.the marks however are very faint snd there are many.looks like the isshkavek triangle and arrow a 5/8 inch polygonal mark over the date is puzzling and a few narks that look like an u in a box or possibly a sideways s next to an o INA box slightly below and to the right.this is located near the stock wood right (ejection) side of the barrel near where it tapers from the chamber to the barrel proper.the gun is either unissued or a complete refurb as there are very few small marks of wear or damage anywhere..gun is stamped pa

arms Redmond va Russian 91/30 caliber and
Russian serial no015030.my camera won't take a
clear pic of the marks. Any help would be
appreciated.straight bolt works very smoothly has a really crisp good trigger, but can't get the safety to turn. Thanks
Welcome to the board, the safety is something poorly designed on the Mosin, and rarely if ever used by anyone. The real safety is to leave the bolt open until you are ready to chamber a round and shoot. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

topazbullet wrote:Hi, new member here! Purchased a '44 Sako M39 from Gunsnammo.com and picking it up this week. Does anyone know what kind of ammo it likes? Purchased 5 boxes of different surplus and new stuff to try.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You will have to determine what type of ammo your rifle likes, each rifle is different.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Dane wrote:Hello, new member with an M44, and a 91/30 looking forward too learning lots.

Thanks!!
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Kebust wrote:I've been a lurker for over a year now. I have 5 Mosins, so i'm trying to find out all I can about them. I', also interested in finding a sniper version to buy.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

tz350g wrote:Hi,
First post. I'm researching the purchase of a PU sniper M91/30 and there is so much info here. Thanks!
Brad
Welcome to the board, have a look in the sniper forum for information, and the board information pages. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

gunnerjacky wrote:Hello guys,

My name is Jacky and I'm from Boston. I want to get Mosin 9130 very soon for myself.I think it will be a fine purchase for a firearms freak like me. :D Thanks for having me here.
Hello Jacky, welcome to the board, let us know how it goes :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Newbe first post

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

buzzfan99 wrote:My first post. So glad I found this site. Helping a gunsmith restore the 1941 Mosin I purchased. Photos to follow.
I'm in the Upstate of South Carolina & started collecting a few years back.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sky Captain wrote:Hello!!!

The name is Luis and I’m in Southern California, this is my first post!!

What brought me here? Well the story goes like this. Me and my brother are looking to get our first rifle ever. He stumbles on this beautiful bolt action rifle in a shop. He asks to see it, and as they pull it out, I realize I have seen this before somewhere. It’s Russian I yell!! It’s the russian world war 2 rifle! (I was still to learn the name of it and designation, but I remember seeing these rifles in my history books, movies and games). I am a bit of a World War 2 history buff and I immediately made a connection to the rifle when I saw it.

But since my brother saw it first, I let him purchase it haha. Well it turns out it was a beautiful and ALMOST original 1945 91/30 rifle. It look like the previous owner had redone the finish of the stock but nothing else. I admit, the stock looked beautiful and new, the wood was original. Well that was it, the bug had bit us. A few months later I was waiting on my very own mosin. A beautiful 1945 M44 from AIM. I asked them to hand pick me the nicest one they could. And even though they said they could not hand pick for bolt smoothness, they’d do me a bit of a solid and “look into it”

When it arrived at my FFL he told me to come in. I did and he had the biggest goofy grin I have ever seen on a person. He said he had taken a peek at it and that it looked like it had come off the assembly line yesterday and not in 1945. It had be so well presserved. The blueing was gorgeous, the stock looks original and unisude so hardly a mark or dent. I was in love with my stubby carbine M44.

Well guys, this is how I came to be here. I will post pictures of it soon, I’d like help on identifying all its stamps and markings so you guys can tell me what exactly I have an it’s pedigree. Don’t think it’s a rare example at all, but I love it just the same. It shoots so nice too.. Thanks all!
Welcome to the board, sounds like you lucked out first time out, nice deal :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

willyj73 wrote:Hello, new to the forum here. I was going to post a photo of my newest Mosin, but I'll have to figure out how to attach images some other day. I got interested in Mosins a few years ago when I bought a 91/30....didn't really take the full plunge of collecting until the fall of 2014. Hoping to show off some of my rifles and to see some of the other member's collections.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

eric57 wrote:Good morning, I'm Eric and just joined yesterday. I collect early Mosin-Nagants, Gew 88 & 88/05's but my main interest is in Japanese Arisakas.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Lot of Arisaka collectors here
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

IEatZ28 wrote:Whats up guys, my name is Nick, i bought my first mosin (and my first firearm for that matter) when i turned 18, 5 years ago. Just a regular big 5 special. 43 Izhevsk, My mosin collection has not gotten much bigger since then. Ive got 2 43 izzys, 1 42 Tula and 1 1944 Izhevsk M44. I mostly collect Russian Firearms though, i have:
1941 Tula finnish capture SVT-40
1954 Tula SKS
1968 Tula matching numbers parts kit with a (y) barrel for it
A Russian RPD kit, all matching numbers.
1988 Izhevsk AK74 with a bulgarian barrel for it.
1993 SVD TIGR CA Armory 0006/1000
And a handful of saigas

I am currently on the hunt for a Tula PU
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

rum_runner wrote:Greetings!
While not a new Mosin Nagant owner, ( I've owned 2 M44's and 2 Finnish M39's) I just recently got interested in them again, unfortunately, when I noticed the prices rising, and the numbers beginning to thin.

I started out collecting in 1974, with a $75 Enfield "Jungle Rifle".
My favorites were Mausers. I've had one, or more of just about every Mauser variant there is. Both from stores and individuals.
They were cheap, for awhile.
The only rifles I hunted with were unaltered surplus guns. My favored Spanish M43 Mauser, My .303 Jungle rifle, and my trusty 30.30 Lever gun ( I live in Alabama :D )

Bagged several deer with all.

I've owned Carcano's, Enfields, Arisaka's, Garands, 03'A3's, AK's, and still have a Krag carbine.

Being used to the Mauser and Enfield actions, I hated the Mosins. Sold 3 and gave a friends kid one of the 39's.

That was before I learned of the "sticky bolt", and how to fix it.

I make rounds of the local Pawn/Gun shops in the area on a frequent basis.

Watched 3 91/30's sit on the rack at a small town Pawn/Title/ Gun shop for 3 months. Alongside sporting rifles, shotguns, etc. Seems no one was interested in a Russian gun.

I faintly remembered seeing 91/30's offered for $75 not that long ago. I procrastinated. I thought the asking price at this shop high ($159 ). Until, I did an online search.

Immediately went back and bought one. An arsenal refinished, matching #, including bayonet, and one really messy cleaning kit! 1944 Izhevsk.

Went back a week later and picked up a '43. Izhevsk.

Both were "clean" on the outside. Little was I to know about the "hidden".

Anyway, went back the 3rd week, and bought the last one, and a 440 round spam can. (Layaway...just to keep the Wife happy...In the dark :lol: ) All are PW Arms imports. No counter bores , and nice stocks/blueing/rifling.

I've dealt with the '43. I'll show pics, and improvements later.

All 3 are "keepers".
2 to pass down to the Grand Boys, and one for ME!

Meanwhile, I still make the Pawnshop rounds...
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Model 1894 Winchester? Mine is a nice 1955 in .30-30 that will never leave me while I remain above ground. Mans rife the leverguns, my favorite non milsurp rifles.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Hello from NJ. I've been bitten by the Mosin Bug more specifically the Finnish Bug. My first Mosin was an all matching Hungarian M44 purchased only 6 months ago. Then I picked up a Finnish M27 and it was all over from there. In just the last month or so I've purchased a Finn M91, M28/30, M39, and not one but two Finnish Capture SVT-40s one has matching numbers (I assume re-numbered bolt) and the other isn't matching but is a Kovrov/Poldask (not sure which is proper). Still looking for a M24, M28, and Tikka M91/30 as well as bayonets and slings. So far I have a M27 Fiskars Bayonet and sling for M27 and slings for the SVTs. Of course once I get all rifles and slings I will want all variations. I am really drawn to the whole history of the Finnish Military and these fine rifles.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

capt14k wrote:Hello from NJ. I've been bitten by the Mosin Bug more specifically the Finnish Bug. My first Mosin was an all matching Hungarian M44 purchased only 6 months ago. Then I picked up a Finnish M27 and it was all over from there. In just the last month or so I've purchased a Finn M91, M28/30, M39, and not one but two Finnish Capture SVT-40s one has matching numbers (I assume re-numbered bolt) and the other isn't matching but is a Kovrov/Poldask (not sure which is proper). Still looking for a M24, M28, and Tikka M91/30 as well as bayonets and slings. So far I have a M27 Fiskars Bayonet and sling for M27 and slings for the SVTs. Of course once I get all rifles and slings I will want all variations. I am really drawn to the whole history of the Finnish Military and these fine rifles.
Hello Jersey, welcome to the board , Hungarian M44 is a good start, then to jump right to the M27 is quite a move, there are some advanced collectors who have yet to acquire the M27. More information is needed, and pictures of all these rifles, open a new thread on the Mosin board for them :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Will do JYD. I will try and post tonight if not tomorrow. The M27 will probably look familiar to a few got it off GB from Martin08

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
ioatommyboy

Post by ioatommyboy »

Hi All,
I've just joined hoping to find more info on Mosins. Just bought a 1942 M38 and am concerned about the frost in the barrel. Sounds like the proof is in the shooting. Additionally, I have a pair of 1933 91/30's and 2 Finn's, an M91 with Austrian marks and an M39. I've been offered an M44 that I intend to pick up when I get more plasma fun money! Thank you for letting me join in.
ChadRASmith

Post by ChadRASmith »

Hi Comrades! I'm Chad, I've been collecting for 3 years now. I've got 2 1981/91's with round receivers, an Izhevsk PU Sniper and an M38. Since first contracting this disease I've chewed through a lot of Russian history books, vacationed in Russia in 2013, where I researched a novel I started writing in my free time.

I live on Cape Cod, Ma, work in oceanography and ... well this is getting long winded so I'll speed it up: I like motorcycles, scuba diving, long walks off short piers and maybe one day getting my book published.

Hello to all, and thanks for welcoming me to your forum!

Chad