New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

JimmyH wrote:Hi there, I'm here. Just bought my first Mosin a week and a half ago. I got it from SOG. Hand select. It is a 1942 issue. It is in very sweet condition. It has been too cold here to get outside to enjoy it. I was amazed at the condition of the gun. It is armory refurbished. I also have a chinese sks very low serial # A11&& and just got a yugo sks from samco the other day and it is pretty sweet. Thanks for having me.
Welcome to the board, the Soviet commies spend good money to make that rifle look nice like that, :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

sbeck1112 wrote:Hi, Im new. Don't own a mosin ... yet. In the market though. (1) because I dig the history (2) because they are extremly affordable (3) I'm in the market for SHTF fire arms and I'm lacking a high caliber rifle with cheap accessible ammunition. But looking around, I hear of people picking them up for under $100 from crate shipments. I have yet to find any at that price that I can physically hold/inspect before buying. I understand that most surplus is being held in Russia due to the Russian and Syrian conflict. Is this true? Will new crates be shipped in afterwards? Or am I jumping on the mosin train to late in the game to pick one or a few up at that price? I need a project, and restoring milsups has peaked my interest lately. Anyone knowledgeable on this subject or know of a resource/other message board I should check?
Welcome to the board, the under a hundred bucks days are gone now, but you can still get a deal for under $200 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Looking for Mosin Negant Gunsmith

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Bobby wrote:I'm Bobby and I'm looking forward to being part of this forum. My question is, does anyone know of a qualified gunsmith who is knowledgable of working on Mosin Negants in the middle Tennessee area, the closer the better but anywhere will do if need be. Thanks......Bobby
Hello Bobby, welcome to the board, sorry, can't help you with the gunsmith thing, don't know anybody out that way. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mathaisxr7 wrote:I am real! Well, at least I think I am. I think therefore I am?
Maybe you is, maybe you isn't, anyway, welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

IJDM wrote:New 1927 Izhevsk all numbers matching hex receiver owner. Been contemplating buying one and finally pulled the trigger.
Welcome to the board, very nice 1927 Izhevsk :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

macgaryver wrote:My first post so the software gremlins don't get me again.
Thanks Dolk
Welcome to the board, I guess I need to set the gremlin traps again, who the hell keeps letting them get near the water?
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Macshay wrote:Hi. Thanks for letting me join the forum. It's my first time owning an M91/30. Just bought it yesterday, took it home and I'm still cleaning the cosmoline off it. Tool pouch and bayonet came with it. No sling though. Want to get one. Where's a good place to look for an original?

On receiver >>>> Serial number is 9130451728 CAI Georgia UT, Russia 7.62x54R 1939 Bolt and receiver numbers are NN1237. The "N" is not really an "N". More like a square box with the bottom line missing. Suspect it's Russian. Maybe an L in Russian?

How can I tell where it was made? The barrel looks to have been relined, possibly chromed? Muzzle shows bright chrome like and in like new shape. I'll try to post some pictures but I'm not too good with that.

Have not shot it yet. Ordered a head space gauge to check it first. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated...
Welcome to the board, the Soviets didn't chrome the bores, it's just clean, they didn't reline them either, cost to much to bother with. That box sounds like a poorly stamped refurb stamp. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Try Liberty tree collectors for the tools and slings, click the banner at the top of any board page.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

JIMPARKS wrote:Jim Parks from Richmond, Texas. I've been making black powder guns, custom knives for about thirty years. Like acquiring original military, un-molested, foreign rifles and pistols/revolvers. Particularly like the Russian calibers, AK/Mosin/Tokarev. Have several 91/30 mosin nagant rifles and two M44 rifles, revolver in 7.62x38. Favorite is 1934 Tula Hex 91/30. Found it shoots handloads much better than surplus.
Welcome to the board Jim, stay awake for three days straight, have someone punch you then go load up some handloads, yours would still be held to tighter specs than what the commies turned out by the multi million. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Doc68

Post by Doc68 »

New member here. Been lurking around a bit just getting info. Now I'm a member. Hello everyone!
Oldvetteman

Post by Oldvetteman »

Howdy! New member, 5 Mosins; M38 and 4 91/30s
"To preserve and shoot"
S094

Post by S094 »

Newish here. I've mainly been over on gunboards and decided to finally join here. I've been collecting for only 2 years but I got a nice Mosin Nagant collection I'll post soon heh.
QuietTim

Post by QuietTim »

Hey all. I'm Tim from NW Georgia. I just purchased my first Mosin for myself at Christmas. I am in sales at Liberty Suppressors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larrythebear

my 1st, post & mosin

Post by Larrythebear »

my 1st post to go with my 1st Mosin 91/30
a 1923 Izhevsk hex, & i love it,
already plan on getting a sniper next
Larry
qalhntr

Post by qalhntr »

Hi! I am from the Midwest and recently came upon my first Mosin. I have learned a lot about it so far and from what I have gathered it might be a rare one. I'm excited to get a reply to find out more about it!
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

qalhntr wrote:Hi! I am from the Midwest and recently came upon my first Mosin. I have learned a lot about it so far and from what I have gathered it might be a rare one. I'm excited to get a reply to find out more about it!

Take some pictures and start a thread. We all love looking at pics and the members on here will see what it is and will be able to tell/confirm what you have.
Kollaa kestää
jrusoff

Post by jrusoff »

Just wanted to say hello. I'm an oddball here, I only have one Mosin :D It's a 91/30 from one of the big chains. I've cleaned and polished the damn thing for way too long. I've taken off the rear sight and mounted a scope. I usually shoot without a bayonet. Does the bayonet merely change the point of impact, or does it actually alter the consistency of the rifle? I have the scope adjusted so that I'm usually hitting within a few inches of where I aim, but I'm wondering if putting the bayonet on would improve the spread of my shots. Has anyone compared the spread with and without a bayonet?
Jason
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Doc68 wrote:New member here. Been lurking around a bit just getting info. Now I'm a member. Hello everyone!
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oldvetteman wrote:Howdy! New member, 5 Mosins; M38 and 4 91/30s
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

S094 wrote:Newish here. I've mainly been over on gunboards and decided to finally join here. I've been collecting for only 2 years but I got a nice Mosin Nagant collection I'll post soon heh.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

QuietTim wrote:Hey all. I'm Tim from NW Georgia. I just purchased my first Mosin for myself at Christmas. I am in sales at Liberty Suppressors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome to the board, this is New York, we wouldn't know what a suppressor is, but some of these boys and girls live in free states. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt