New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
zhuk

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by zhuk »

Hey, another aussie! G'day Steve :)

Don't think there's anything wrong at all in giving up one of your SMLEs for a Mosin mate :mrgreen: I have a stunner which comes out of the safe for fondling purposes pretty often in between shooting - 1934 Tula hex, a beautiful refurb job, shiny bore and a fantastic (for a mosin) smooth action.

I came across this forum at a good time...since I'm buying a non-refurbished 1944 Izhevsk M44 laminate soon, and really want to get the lowdown on how to keep it preserved the way it ought to be, doing only the most minimally what might be necessary for basic upkeep. Bluing is very well worn almost down to the white in areas, and I love the thought that nothing much has touched it since its (obvously) very hard life of work.

Look forward to learning some of what you knowlegable guys can impart here :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

zhuk wrote:Hey, another aussie! G'day Steve :)

Don't think there's anything wrong at all in giving up one of your SMLEs for a Mosin mate :mrgreen: I have a stunner which comes out of the safe for fondling purposes pretty often in between shooting - 1934 Tula hex, a beautiful refurb job, shiny bore and a fantastic (for a mosin) smooth action.

I came across this forum at a good time...since I'm buying a non-refurbished 1944 Izhevsk M44 laminate soon, and really want to get the lowdown on how to keep it preserved the way it ought to be, doing only the most minimally what might be necessary for basic upkeep. Bluing is very well worn almost down to the white in areas, and I love the thought that nothing much has touched it since its (obvously) very hard life of work.

Welcome to the board, issued M44's are not often encountered here in the states unless they came in from Romania ( one of the few countries who did not send the soviet aid rifles back to the USSR when they got done with them) or they were captured in Korea, or Vietnam. Nice find, these are the M44's I like the most, oil it, that's all it should need.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Welcome to the board, issued M44's are not often encountered here in the states unless they came in from Romania ( one of the few countries who did not send the soviet aid rifles back to the USSR when they got done with them) or they were captured in Korea, or Vietnam. Nice find, these are the M44's I like the most, oil it, that's all it should need.

Thanks for the welcome Junk Yard Dog :)

I have been told by the Oueensland importer here that this rifle came from Germany (where he would have bought it)

...but where is was before then I have no idea lol

When I eventually take possession (a relatively lengthy process in Aust :roll: ) I will post pics here. Not sure how much of a 'shooter' it is as the bore is reportedly dark, but the rifling is meant to be 7/10 (so, there is some!) If the dealer was close by and not in another State either I would most certainly take a personal look...however that is not very often the case here with used guns. The laminate appears fairly dark from (not particularly great) photos, I was just wondering if the proceedure was to bleed any excess cosmoline out of the stock or not. I presume you would still strip it down for preliminary checking?

But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here! Never been very patient when a new firearm is in the pipeline :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, we have heard about that firearms process from some other Australian members, there probably isn't much oil in that stock, best to leave it alone, if there is any excess it will leech out as you fire it, at least around the forend. Be careful not to get it too hot of you could remove any remaining cosmoline as the oil flows out. Absolutely strip it down for checking, and check the headspace.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Yea, we have heard about that firearms process from some other Australian members, there probably isn't much oil in that stock, best to leave it alone, if there is any excess it will leech out as you fire it, at least around the forend. Be careful not to get it too hot of you could remove any remaining cosmoline as the oil flows out. Absolutely strip it down for checking, and check the headspace.

I'll take yours and others good advice here, many thanks. Will post pics...eventually :lol:
AaronBeard

Post by AaronBeard »

Another new member... I bought my first Nagant yesterday after wanting one for a quite a while. Planning on creating a cool display of it with its accessories along with some framed war pictorials on my bedroom wall (assuming the wife allows it). It won't stay on the wall though... I also plan on take it hog hunting in a few weeks!
Celt

Post by Celt »

Welcome aboard! I just made something like that but not fancy.
Glad to have you here! :D
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

AaronBeard wrote:Another new member... I bought my first Nagant yesterday after wanting one for a quite a while. Planning on creating a cool display of it with its accessories along with some framed war pictorials on my bedroom wall (assuming the wife allows it). It won't stay on the wall though... I also plan on take it hog hunting in a few weeks!
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :vcool: What kind of Mosin did you get?
Theodore Roosevelt
AaronBeard

Post by AaronBeard »

To insert images do I have to upload the pics to a 3rd party site and then copy a link over? If so, what site do yall recommend?
Celt

Post by Celt »

I use photobucket

Like this :pointdown:

Go to links and click on the forth, copy and paste.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

AaronBeard wrote:To insert images do I have to upload the pics to a 3rd party site and then copy a link over? If so, what site do yall recommend?
To do it on the board just resize the pics first 640x480 before loading. I use photobucket and just link the pics into the reply box using the link code they supply.
Theodore Roosevelt
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Celt wrote:I use photobucket

Like this :pointdown:

Go to links and click on the forth, copy and paste.

Very nice!

We can't legally display firearms (unless deactivated and inside a strengthened room). Looks great :thumbsup:
Celt

Post by Celt »

zhuk wrote:Hey, another aussie! G'day Steve :)

G'day mate! Welcome aboard!
Looking forward to seeing this M44 when you get it. We love"used"rifles here!
:ani-pop: :ani-pop:

Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
zhuk

Post by zhuk »

Well I only joined up yesterday and have had a very warm welcome. And many congratulations on your interest in the M91/30 mofugger :) Should warn you its a bit difficult to stop at one Lol

Really looks like a great resource here I agree!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mofugger wrote:How's it going everyone!

I'm glad I found this place as I've been thinking about getting a 91/30.

Looks like a great place to learn as much as I can.
Welcome to the board, learning about the rifle you want before buying it is a good idea. That way if there is something extra special in a rack foull of them you will be able to spot it right off :) :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
sestroretsk

Post by sestroretsk »

good time of day, everyone!

my name is Konstantin, and I moved here from Canada.

two Mosins deep into Mosinitis..
Celt

Post by Celt »

Welcome aboard!
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

sestroretsk wrote:good time of day, everyone!

my name is Konstantin, and I moved here from Canada.

two Mosins deep into Mosinitis..
Welcome to the board , we have quite a few Canadian members on the board now :thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
IvanIvanovich

Post by IvanIvanovich »

I hope this works! Here's my collection so far and......just bought a crate! Look forward to learning more here.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1095956516 ... 9595006530
OregonShooter

Post by OregonShooter »

Hello All,
Just got the bug. Picked up my first two 91/30's last week and after cleaning them up I think I'm in love. I have a 1943 Izhevsk 91/30 counter bored and a 1944 Izhevsk 91/30 ex sniper.
USMC 1987 - 1997 / ARNG 2002 - 2013