New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
DGinGA

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by DGinGA »

Hello from Georgia. I ordered a 20-rifle case of rifles (supposedly unsearched), which arrives tomorrow. After gaining lots of experience removing the Soviet equivalent of Cosmoline, I look forward to sorting them out. All I know about these so far is hex & round receivers, Tula & Isvech (sic?) arsenals, no integral bayonet. Look forward to researching my stash and picking a good one to shoot. Thought I'd best buy now, as I suspect the sanction against Russian imports will be interpreted to include other ex-Soviet countries, at least for arms. Since 2010, the price of these has almost doubled. Besides, I like bolt action military rifles.
dennis_ru

Post by dennis_ru »

hi everyone, i recently got another mosin and it has heart stamp on it does anyone know what it means? i ll try to post a picture
Broken

Post by Broken »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Copper washed is what that ammo is, just thin copper plating over steel case. Remember that this is all corrosively primed ammunition, clean accordingly or bore rust will result. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thank Junk Yard Dog. I've been cleaning it with Windex, which is what I saw on another site. I knew it was corrosive, I just wasn't sure about that copper color. I appreciate the info.
dennis_ru

Post by dennis_ru »

hi, anyone know what a heart stamp on mosin means?
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

@fx2film

That make is the Tula Armory mark. The K is a secondary inspection mark that has been stamped over the armory mark
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

DGinGA wrote:Hello from Georgia. I ordered a 20-rifle case of rifles (supposedly unsearched), which arrives tomorrow. After gaining lots of experience removing the Soviet equivalent of Cosmoline, I look forward to sorting them out. All I know about these so far is hex & round receivers, Tula & Isvech (sic?) arsenals, no integral bayonet. Look forward to researching my stash and picking a good one to shoot. Thought I'd best buy now, as I suspect the sanction against Russian imports will be interpreted to include other ex-Soviet countries, at least for arms. Since 2010, the price of these has almost doubled. Besides, I like bolt action military rifles.
Very smart move, you understand that there are no truly unsearched crates? In order to apply the government mandated import mark to each rifle they must be removed from the crate, marked, and put back. You can bet that the importers take this opportunity to select anything special in there like laminated stocks, or DDR or MO marked rifles now that they know we will pay more for these. You should get a selection of war years plus a few earlier dates from the 30's. We look forward to the pictures :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Izhevsk, no mosin has an internal bayonet, the M44 carbine has a folding bayonet, but the 91/30's you will get in that crate have to have bayonets attached to them by hand.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

fx2film wrote:Thanks Junk Yard Dog .... Here's a pic ..... the marking is on the barrel just above the receiver. I'm especially curious about this mark because it looks rather official and well thought out (almost like a logo).
The star with the arrow in it is the Tula arsenal marking used on Mosins after 1929, Tula made Mosins anyway. The K is a cool marking, but it's meaning is unknown as is the case for most of the small markings on these rifles.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

storekeeper1 wrote:New here from Southern Lower MICHIGAN. Just got my first mosin it's a 1934 and looks in pretty good shape and a case of ammo to go with it. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot it next week. Still have to check it out a little more before that. I wanted one just to have something a little different than a Tavor or AR.
Oh it's different from an AR all right :twisted: Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

dennis_ru wrote:hi everyone, i recently got another mosin and it has heart stamp on it does anyone know what it means? i ll try to post a picture
Welcome to the board, heart mark? Ivan loves Olga maybe? Other than that it's meaning would be unknown as is the case for nearly every small marking found on these rifles.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Broken wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Copper washed is what that ammo is, just thin copper plating over steel case. Remember that this is all corrosively primed ammunition, clean accordingly or bore rust will result. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thank Junk Yard Dog. I've been cleaning it with Windex, which is what I saw on another site. I knew it was corrosive, I just wasn't sure about that copper color. I appreciate the info.
A cup of hot water poured down the chamber before normal cleaning will wash out any remaining salts in the bore, remember to hit the bolt head, and mag follower also.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

BeltFedEd wrote:Hi Everyone!

New Mosin Nagant owner here. I just got in a laminated M44 from AIM Surplus last week.

After shooting my cousin's M44 at Knob Creek I was hooked. There's something about the concussion of the blast and fire ball that's just too much fun. Well finally after about a year of telling myself that, "I really don't need to spend the money on one." I couldn't resist when I saw them in-stock. (Getting some overtime at work helped too :wink: )

Can't say that I did a whole lot of research on them. I went for the Laminated stock. I saw a few posts with them and liked the looks of it. Figured they might be a little more sturdy (resist cracking) than solid wood. Even if they aren't, I still like the looks of them.

Haven't had a chance to clean her up yet, not that it will take much, but she looks pretty nice. Seems to be all matching numbers. Doesn't look to have any forced matched. Only number that's not matching is on the stock at the butt end.

I've checked out a couple threads here on initial cleaning and post shooting cleaning. Even though I'm no stranger to using corrosive ammo, (ran pallets of it through my 1919's) I still like to see what everyone is doing with a particular firearm. Now I need to pick up a few goodies before I take her out. I'll get a set of Okie's headspace gauges and a firing pin protrusion gauge.

Thanks for having me here!
You need to work hard and have a special talent to crack a hardwood Mosin stock . Something other than normal range use. Nice rifle, welcome to the board. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
ourichie

Post by ourichie »

Hi, My name is Richie and i just purchased my first 2 mosins today. more info to follow
“Of all the passions that inspire a man in a battle, none, we have to admit, is so powerful and so constant as the longing for honor and renown.”
― Carl von Clausewitz
1927 : Tula 91/30
1939 : Tula 91/30
1943 : Izhevsk M38
1954.1 : ChiCom Factory 296 Type 53
Man_With_A_Gun

Post by Man_With_A_Gun »

Hey everyone. I got bit by the Mosin bug and picked up one last week. Now I want more. How to convince the wife...
DGinGA

Post by DGinGA »

Hello from N GA. After Ob banned Russian guns, I decided to buy a case of 20. Just went thru it; 3 hexes, an even mix of arsenals, mostly 1943 dates. I plan to make one a shooter (probably the least attractive of the litter) and keep the rest; value will, I think, go nowhere but up. Meanwhile I'll be scouring the forums to learn about these pieces, and come up with a few good loads.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ourichie wrote:Hi, My name is Richie and i just purchased my first 2 mosins today. more info to follow
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Man_With_A_Gun wrote:Hey everyone. I got bit by the Mosin bug and picked up one last week. Now I want more. How to convince the wife...
Welcome to the board, dazzle her with bullshit, other than that I can't help you, no wife to put the brakes on me.
Theodore Roosevelt
m1oberon

Post by m1oberon »

Hello,

Thanks for the welcome. I have a refurbished 1944 Tula M44. I would like some help if possible with the markings.
I'll start with this one.
Thank you very much for your help.

[attachment=0]DSC_1227 (640x427).jpg[/attachment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clueless

Post by clueless »

Hey I am new here and totally new to the world of the Mosin Nagant as of my purchase yesterday. Is there anyone who would be able to tell me a bit more about what kind of rifle I have and if I paid okay for it?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

clueless wrote:Hey I am new here and totally new to the world of the Mosin Nagant as of my purchase yesterday. Is there anyone who would be able to tell me a bit more about what kind of rifle I have and if I paid okay for it?
Welcome to the board, best thing to do is open a new thread on the main Mosin forum, post up some good pictures ( resize them to 640x480, or link to photobucket so they will post) and we can have a look at what you have. Pretty much any board member can ID a basic Mosin.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

m1oberon wrote:Hello,

Thanks for the welcome. I have a refurbished 1944 Tula M44. I would like some help if possible with the markings.
I'll start with this one.
Thank you very much for your help.

[attachment=0]DSC_1227 (640x427).jpg[/attachment
Welcome to the board, 98% of the markings found on these rifles are unknown, this is pretty much all of the tiny stamps. The Russians are not telling us what they are, but most ones like this will be inspection markings from when the rifle was built, or refurbished.
Theodore Roosevelt