New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
1911A1 Range Officer

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by 1911A1 Range Officer »

Hello everyone,

Little background on myself, I'm 29 and a veteran of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. I grew up in NE Georgia, I'm now located in Oklahoma, much to my dismay lol. I was never really into firearms as a kid, but my father had a ton, and I went hunting with him a decent amount. I now find myself collecting several specific ones. Started with a Ruger LCP a couple years ago when I got my CC license, then I decided to up things to a 1911A1 Range Officer from Springfield Armory (things a tack driver), I already had a ATD (I think thats right) Chinese knock off Browning .22LR and a pump 20ga Ithica deer slayer, but since I have added a Mossberg .22lr and built a clone of my M16A2 service rifle (all mil-spec). And just the other day I aquired my first Mosin....by trading 250 rounds of .45ACP for it. I'll have to post pictures later, I think I got a good deal, now I just have to slug it and see where she's at.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ed6 wrote:Hi Everyone. A newbie here, due to the great info on the forum - I ordered my first 91/30 sniper from Aim. Well pleased with the rifle - prior to this I was limited to non-snipers due to the many make believes on the market. I am convinced Aim's snipers are the real thing. Thanks for all the great info on the rifles you convinced me to order the Sniper . It will not get lonesome being with my M39s and M38 Finnish marked carbine. Again - thanks for all the great info.
Welcome to the board Ed, we will be wanting to see the pictures of course, I also own a Finn M38, I think there are two or three others on the board now that I know of. Nice find :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1911A1 Range Officer wrote:Hello everyone,

Little background on myself, I'm 29 and a veteran of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. I grew up in NE Georgia, I'm now located in Oklahoma, much to my dismay lol. I was never really into firearms as a kid, but my father had a ton, and I went hunting with him a decent amount. I now find myself collecting several specific ones. Started with a Ruger LCP a couple years ago when I got my CC license, then I decided to up things to a 1911A1 Range Officer from Springfield Armory (things a tack driver), I already had a ATD (I think thats right) Chinese knock off Browning .22LR and a pump 20ga Ithica deer slayer, but since I have added a Mossberg .22lr and built a clone of my M16A2 service rifle (all mil-spec). And just the other day I aquired my first Mosin....by trading 250 rounds of .45ACP for it. I'll have to post pictures later, I think I got a good deal, now I just have to slug it and see where she's at.
Nice deal on that Mosin, I would run off another 250 rounds of .45ACP if someone was wanting to trade me a nice Mosin for it :lol: Let us know how it goes with that rifle , Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
1911A1 Range Officer

Post by 1911A1 Range Officer »

Thank you, I tried to post a thread on it, but my computer kept BSOD, so I submitted a quick and dirty one with several pics but nothing has shown up?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1911A1 Range Officer wrote:Thank you, I tried to post a thread on it, but my computer kept BSOD, so I submitted a quick and dirty one with several pics but nothing has shown up?
No, I don't see anything pending, it would have posted right away. Did you resize the pictures down to at least 640x480 or linked them from a photobucket account before posting?
Theodore Roosevelt
rifle21

Post by rifle21 »

Hello, everyone. I am glad to be here. I enjoy owning and shooting these old rifles more than most folks. I have always been amazed at how well most of these rifles work. I found my first one twenty years ago. It was and still is plain old combat tired and ugly, with most of the bluing worn away and well carried wood, but still holds under two inches at a hundred yards with the irons and does just as well at five hundred when I can see that far. (And that is not as often as it used to be. Old age is catching up to me.) I've been lucky to find some good ones over the years, and I still haven't found my last one.
natthecat9l

Post by natthecat9l »

Hello,I'm natthecat9l.My wife and I have a small collection of Mosins and looking to add to it.Looking forward to seeing and talking about others collection.Thats it for now.
Broken

Post by Broken »

Hello to all. My name is Ken, and I just recently bought my first Mosin Nagant. I absolutely LOVE this rifle. I also bought 2 spam cans of ammo, so I have plenty of ammo to "play" with. I have 2 sons who are 12 and 9, and they both love shooting it as well. As a matter of fact, they are both saving up their money to buy themselves 1 now. I'm sure that I'll have quite a few questions over time, so I guess I had might as well get started now. I have been shooting store bought ammo with it, and I just opened my 1st spam can today. I have to say that I'm surprised. I was under the impression that the casings on the ammo would be steel, but these appear to be a copper color. Does that sound right to y'all? (Yes, I said y'all. I am from Mississippi...LOL.) Anyway, I look forward to hearing back from you and picking your brains about this awesome rifle. I bought it to serve many purposes, including hunting, and I fully believe that it will serve them all well. Again, thank you and I look forward to getting to know you better.
fx2film

Post by fx2film »

Hi, I'm Dave and I’m new to the forum (and fairly new to the Mosin Nagant). Having said that, I purchased my first about 2 yrs ago and the first time I took it out of the box, I ordered a second to keep stored away … and the first time shooting at the range I was happy I made that choice.

While I understand most Mosin Nagant’s on the market today were mass produced, and will have very limited “investment” value, I am making an attempt to understand exactly what I own so I do not accidentally use a collectible one at the range. I’ve been reading about the various markings but I am unable to locate one of the markings on one of my rifles barrel on any of the resources I’ve checked. I am hoping someone can help me identify this mark and hopefully what it means.

The mark is on the barrel above the serial number … it is a star with a “K” in the middle, the vertical line of the “K” extends up and turns into an arrow within the star’s point. I have attached a pic of this marking. Has anyone seen this marking before? I tried to attach a pic, but my apologies - I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Thank you and I look forward to expanding my new found addiction to the Mosin Nagant.
mojo1963

Post by mojo1963 »

Greeting from Auburn, WA my fellow mosin lovers!
:D
afgvet1990

Post by afgvet1990 »

Hi I'm afgvet1990, just got the mosin bug looking forward to all I can learn here!
afgvet1990
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

rifle21 wrote:Hello, everyone. I am glad to be here. I enjoy owning and shooting these old rifles more than most folks. I have always been amazed at how well most of these rifles work. I found my first one twenty years ago. It was and still is plain old combat tired and ugly, with most of the bluing worn away and well carried wood, but still holds under two inches at a hundred yards with the irons and does just as well at five hundred when I can see that far. (And that is not as often as it used to be. Old age is catching up to me.) I've been lucky to find some good ones over the years, and I still haven't found my last one.
Welcome to the board, old age is catching up with most of us :lol: It's the worn looking rifles that have the most experience :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

natthecat9l wrote:Hello,I'm natthecat9l.My wife and I have a small collection of Mosins and looking to add to it.Looking forward to seeing and talking about others collection.Thats it for now.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Broken wrote:Hello to all. My name is Ken, and I just recently bought my first Mosin Nagant. I absolutely LOVE this rifle. I also bought 2 spam cans of ammo, so I have plenty of ammo to "play" with. I have 2 sons who are 12 and 9, and they both love shooting it as well. As a matter of fact, they are both saving up their money to buy themselves 1 now. I'm sure that I'll have quite a few questions over time, so I guess I had might as well get started now. I have been shooting store bought ammo with it, and I just opened my 1st spam can today. I have to say that I'm surprised. I was under the impression that the casings on the ammo would be steel, but these appear to be a copper color. Does that sound right to y'all? (Yes, I said y'all. I am from Mississippi...LOL.) Anyway, I look forward to hearing back from you and picking your brains about this awesome rifle. I bought it to serve many purposes, including hunting, and I fully believe that it will serve them all well. Again, thank you and I look forward to getting to know you better.
Welcome to the board Ken, Copper washed is what that ammo is, just thin copper plating over steel case. Remember that this is all corrosively primed ammunition, clean accordingly or bore rust will result. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

fx2film wrote:Hi, I'm Dave and I’m new to the forum (and fairly new to the Mosin Nagant). Having said that, I purchased my first about 2 yrs ago and the first time I took it out of the box, I ordered a second to keep stored away … and the first time shooting at the range I was happy I made that choice.

While I understand most Mosin Nagant’s on the market today were mass produced, and will have very limited “investment” value, I am making an attempt to understand exactly what I own so I do not accidentally use a collectible one at the range. I’ve been reading about the various markings but I am unable to locate one of the markings on one of my rifles barrel on any of the resources I’ve checked. I am hoping someone can help me identify this mark and hopefully what it means.

The mark is on the barrel above the serial number … it is a star with a “K” in the middle, the vertical line of the “K” extends up and turns into an arrow within the star’s point. I have attached a pic of this marking. Has anyone seen this marking before? I tried to attach a pic, but my apologies - I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Thank you and I look forward to expanding my new found addiction to the Mosin Nagant.
Welcome to the board, most of the markings including these ones that are found on the Mosin are unknown. Almost sounds like a Tula star, but resize the pics to 640x480 before posting and we will have a look,
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mojo1963 wrote:Greeting from Auburn, WA my fellow mosin lovers!
:D
Welcome to :thumbsup: :vcool: the board
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

afgvet1990 wrote:Hi I'm afgvet1990, just got the mosin bug looking forward to all I can learn here!
Welcome to the board :vcool: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
fx2film

Post by fx2film »

Thanks Junk Yard Dog .... Here's a pic ..... the marking is on the barrel just above the receiver. I'm especially curious about this mark because it looks rather official and well thought out (almost like a logo).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
storekeeper1

Post by storekeeper1 »

New here from Southern Lower MICHIGAN. Just got my first mosin it's a 1934 and looks in pretty good shape and a case of ammo to go with it. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot it next week. Still have to check it out a little more before that. I wanted one just to have something a little different than a Tavor or AR.
BeltFedEd

Post by BeltFedEd »

Hi Everyone!

New Mosin Nagant owner here. I just got in a laminated M44 from AIM Surplus last week.

After shooting my cousin's M44 at Knob Creek I was hooked. There's something about the concussion of the blast and fire ball that's just too much fun. Well finally after about a year of telling myself that, "I really don't need to spend the money on one." I couldn't resist when I saw them in-stock. (Getting some overtime at work helped too :wink: )

Can't say that I did a whole lot of research on them. I went for the Laminated stock. I saw a few posts with them and liked the looks of it. Figured they might be a little more sturdy (resist cracking) than solid wood. Even if they aren't, I still like the looks of them.

Haven't had a chance to clean her up yet, not that it will take much, but she looks pretty nice. Seems to be all matching numbers. Doesn't look to have any forced matched. Only number that's not matching is on the stock at the butt end.

I've checked out a couple threads here on initial cleaning and post shooting cleaning. Even though I'm no stranger to using corrosive ammo, (ran pallets of it through my 1919's) I still like to see what everyone is doing with a particular firearm. Now I need to pick up a few goodies before I take her out. I'll get a set of Okie's headspace gauges and a firing pin protrusion gauge.

Thanks for having me here!