New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
54j

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by 54j »

Saw the forum searching for random info on Mosins as I have had about eight of them, and ran into the site. Lots of good info.
temposhot

Post by temposhot »

Hello. This is my first post. I bought my first rifle in 2008, and it was a 1943 91/30. My wife's grandfather was a decorated soldier in the Great Patriotic war, and that rifle has always been special to me because of that.

I'm looking forward to learning.

Scott
knowname55

Post by knowname55 »

I'm Brent from NC and I just bought my first Mosin through Classic Firearms and it is pretty cool. There are a couple strange things going on and I will pics in my next post in hopes that you guys can help me. Anyway, wanted say hello and that I look forward to spending hours reading through the forum.
knowname55

Post by knowname55 »

I'm Brent from NC and I just bought my first Mosin from Classic Firearms and I'm excited about it. It has some contradictory markings and I'm going to have some questions about it. I will post pictures of it in my next post. I look forward to spending a lot of time reading through this forum.
Oldgunnut

Post by Oldgunnut »

Ok I'm here! I have 91/30 . I purchased it from a local fellow who dismantles them and sells the parts on eBay. I was able to go through his parts bins and pick out which ever parts I wanted to use to reconstruct a 91/30 . I know that the numbers don't match , but most Chinese Type 53's don't either! He had everything in spades except for a front sight and a bayonet. I bought a bayonet on eBay and after much work with emery cloth and a drill I managed to get it to fit. The sight came from a seller in Finnland!! I made up a set of dummy rounds and worked on the magazene and feed system until it works like a champ! I bought a nogo gauge to check head space and it is acceptable, if a little tight. I suppose some may resent that he is disassembling them, but at least the parts are keeping others shooting.
I also have a modified type 53 in a 91/30 stock . It came to me modified , so thats all I can say about it, except that its fun to shoot.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Varangian wrote:Hi everyone. First time poster, long time lurker of the board. I got into collecting mosins earlier this year and now have 6 of them (soon to be seven this week). Anyways I'm looking forward to seeing some of the less common rifles that pop up from time to time.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

54j wrote:Saw the forum searching for random info on Mosins as I have had about eight of them, and ran into the site. Lots of good info.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :vcool:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

temposhot wrote:Hello. This is my first post. I bought my first rifle in 2008, and it was a 1943 91/30. My wife's grandfather was a decorated soldier in the Great Patriotic war, and that rifle has always been special to me because of that.

I'm looking forward to learning.

Scott
Welcome to the board Scott :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

knowname55 wrote:I'm Brent from NC and I just bought my first Mosin through Classic Firearms and it is pretty cool. There are a couple strange things going on and I will pics in my next post in hopes that you guys can help me. Anyway, wanted say hello and that I look forward to spending hours reading through the forum.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oldgunnut wrote:Ok I'm here! I have 91/30 . I purchased it from a local fellow who dismantles them and sells the parts on eBay. I was able to go through his parts bins and pick out which ever parts I wanted to use to reconstruct a 91/30 . I know that the numbers don't match , but most Chinese Type 53's don't either! He had everything in spades except for a front sight and a bayonet. I bought a bayonet on eBay and after much work with emery cloth and a drill I managed to get it to fit. The sight came from a seller in Finnland!! I made up a set of dummy rounds and worked on the magazene and feed system until it works like a champ! I bought a nogo gauge to check head space and it is acceptable, if a little tight. I suppose some may resent that he is disassembling them, but at least the parts are keeping others shooting.
I also have a modified type 53 in a 91/30 stock . It came to me modified , so thats all I can say about it, except that its fun to shoot.
Resent what he is doing greatly, that will pretty much be the universal response from serious collectors when the subject of people stripping milsurps for parts comes up. What begs the question is why if he had so many rifles didn't the guy just sell you an intact 91/30? The bayonets were fitted by spreading open the channel until it would slide on, but still be a tight fit. The Russians kept the bayonet mounted most of the time, and nobody likes something on their weapon that rattles around.
Theodore Roosevelt
stevegee

Post by stevegee »

Another new guy. I have 13 and "must" get away from this unlucky number. I am looking at a couple of MO triple dates. I'm Sure I will have questions soon. Forum looks great and love it so far. Looks like a place to increase my Mosin education.

Thanks Steve G
320th

Post by 320th »

Hello everyone,

I go by the moniker 320th as my father-in-law was in World War II in the 320th. My real name is Tom, simple to remember. I own several Chinese (some Sino- Soviet) SKS's, three Mosin's (now four), a couple of Swiss straight pulls and a German k98k (BCD 4). Now I'm hooked on the Mosin Snipers, now I'm in real trouble. I'll post photos of my first sniper as I clean and get some good light. It's a Classic $599.00 so don't expect too much, lots of EP'ed parts. I think the guy got paid by the number of letters he could add.

I believe they are what they are and I don't do any "fixing" at all. Stop the rust and study, that's it. I don't mess with history and wish others would do the same.

Great to be part of your forum,

Tom
David Ben Uzi

Post by David Ben Uzi »

Newbie to the board, -been collecting firearms of all types for over 40 years. Trying to roundout a WWII long gun collection now.

Looking forward to the great information and people on the board. :)

David Ben Uzi
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

David Ben Uzi wrote:Newbie to the board, -been collecting firearms of all types for over 40 years. Trying to roundout a WWII long gun collection now.

Looking forward to the great information and people on the board. :)

David Ben Uzi
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

stevegee wrote:Another new guy. I have 13 and "must" get away from this unlucky number. I am looking at a couple of MO triple dates. I'm Sure I will have questions soon. Forum looks great and love it so far. Looks like a place to increase my Mosin education.

Thanks Steve G
welcome to the board :thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

320th wrote:Hello everyone,

I go by the moniker 320th as my father-in-law was in World War II in the 320th. My real name is Tom, simple to remember. I own several Chinese (some Sino- Soviet) SKS's, three Mosin's (now four), a couple of Swiss straight pulls and a German k98k (BCD 4). Now I'm hooked on the Mosin Snipers, now I'm in real trouble. I'll post photos of my first sniper as I clean and get some good light. It's a Classic $599.00 so don't expect too much, lots of EP'ed parts. I think the guy got paid by the number of letters he could add.

I believe they are what they are and I don't do any "fixing" at all. Stop the rust and study, that's it. I don't mess with history and wish others would do the same.

Great to be part of your forum,

Tom
Welcome to the board Tom :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
paris

Post by paris »

hello,

i am new here and i hope to receive verry good informations about mosin bayonets and guns.
jgm038

Post by jgm038 »

Hello everyone, my name is James. Historical firearm enthusiast... I bought my first Mosin a few days after turning 18, a 1925 Tula. A few years later got a good deal on a 1942 Finn VKT, with absolutely 0 markings on the receiver...And just yesterday I received a 1953.10 Type 53 which is actually in pretty good condition! Looking to get some more, preferably a Remington or Westinghouse...LGS a had a good to very good Remington for 190, shoulda bought it, lol.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

paris wrote:hello,

i am new here and i hope to receive verry good informations about mosin bayonets and guns.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

jgm038 wrote:Hello everyone, my name is James. Historical firearm enthusiast... I bought my first Mosin a few days after turning 18, a 1925 Tula. A few years later got a good deal on a 1942 Finn VKT, with absolutely 0 markings on the receiver...And just yesterday I received a 1953.10 Type 53 which is actually in pretty good condition! Looking to get some more, preferably a Remington or Westinghouse...LGS a had a good to very good Remington for 190, shoulda bought it, lol.
Welcome to the board :vcool: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt