any rounds to stay away from?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
GLUGLUG

Re: any rounds to stay away from?

Post by GLUGLUG »

Turks8806 wrote:You can get 20 round Tulammo and 20 round Brown Bear for $14 in quite a few places. Sure you can buy 440 rounds or 880 rounds, but if you only need a few rounds for plinking well, not really any sense in paying $160 or $300 for ammo then.
I've been getting Silver bear and that Tulammo for $11.45 a box of 20 AFTER tax at my local outdoor store. 40 rounds for under $25 dollars of non-corrosive is great for just spur of the moment shooting.
If you're not pissed off you're not paying attention.
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Turks8806 wrote:You can get 20 round Tulammo and 20 round Brown Bear for $14 in quite a few places. Sure you can buy 440 rounds or 880 rounds, but if you only need a few rounds for plinking well, not really any sense in paying $160 or $300 for ammo then.
How can one only "need" a few rounds? Is that even POSSIBLE??? :beek: :vconfused: I am going to go curl up in the fetal position with my ammo stash and pretend this conversation never happened. :kilgo:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You have been suspiciously absent for a while websterz...I think you have already shot up your ammo stash and in the fetal position with the empties. :beek: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

websterz wrote:
How can one only "need" a few rounds? Is that even POSSIBLE??? :beek: :vconfused: I am going to go curl up in the fetal position with my ammo stash and pretend this conversation never happened. :kilgo:

LMAO!!!! A man after my our heart. You guys crack me up. :chuckles:
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

JYD, it just came to me why my usual UPS driver acts starngely, when unloading a crate .
I guess he did not hear right, when I said: Jeremy, I am like Uncle Scrooge, but I like to bathe in copper washed corrosive FMJs, not in money.
We fixed this today, when he asked what kind of rifle Donald uses, and i told him 7.62x39 deliveries coming. He went off smiling, after telling me he was visiting his uncle in Arizona whenever he can. And I have Ms Feinstein? Why?
ROGLMAO
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

....and for the fetal position: My girl shepherd has found a way to always curl around the ammo cans i get out of the crates. Why... I get an open packet of CW LB CO from the safe, put it on top of the cans to remind me to mark them accordingly. She likes the smell of good old canned Russian ammo. .......really. My Chow does not like the bang, but knows exactly what they are. If I do not watch it , he will lift his leg.
Bill, how does that grab you?
Do not repeat my wife's opinion, please!
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Out of ammo....now there is a horrifying thought !!!!!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Koada

Post by Koada »

I truly believe that ammunition will be like gold in the future..."They" whoever" they" may be will not take our guns, they will suppress the ammunition, which would make our firearms just pretty tomato stakes in time...Retired, I purchase what I can afford every month..some for the 91/30 or the SKS..but, always buy .22 ammo cause , well just because:)...sometimes in bulk for all 3..sometimes in boxes...but, EVERY month I find the best deal for all three and first get the .22 then some for either the Mosin or Sks..what ever I can afford...And will continue to do so till I no longer can..It WILL come in handy someday, of this I am positive..Hopefully, once I get a substantial amount of .22 ammo, I will then start on the shotgun stash, but not there yet on the .22 and my plans are for a "BUNCH" of it :) So, there is very little ammo that I avoid..
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Koada wrote:I truly believe that ammunition will be like gold in the future..."They" whoever" they" may be will not take our guns, they will suppress the ammunition, which would make our firearms just pretty tomato stakes in time...Retired, I purchase what I can afford every month..some for the 91/30 or the SKS..but, always buy .22 ammo cause , well just because:)...sometimes in bulk for all 3..sometimes in boxes...but, EVERY month I find the best deal for all three and first get the .22 then some for either the Mosin or Sks..what ever I can afford...And will continue to do so till I no longer can..It WILL come in handy someday, of this I am positive..Hopefully, once I get a substantial amount of .22 ammo, I will then start on the shotgun stash, but not there yet on the .22 and my plans are for a "BUNCH" of it :) So, there is very little ammo that I avoid..
Well speak of the devil. Here's a deal that comes up from time to time and they restocked it two days ago. https://www.shopdunns.com/products/2632 ... ated_case/

$169.99 including shipping for 5250rds. It's Federal 36gr. HP. Some of the guys know about this but it tends to sell out pretty fast. I don't know how they can sell it so cheap but they do. If I didn't already have so much 22lr. myself I'd have bought a few cases.
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

desdem12 wrote:You have been suspiciously absent for a while websterz...I think you have already shot up your ammo stash and in the fetal position with the empties. :beek: :lol:
If I had managed to fire off 5000+ rounds of 54r I would be curled up in the corner clutching at my shoulder! :chuckles:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

All you got is 5000 rounds? You better get resupplied, you getting low :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Wriz

Post by Wriz »

I went to the shooting range yesterday to fire my new 10/22 and found that they sell the Silver Bear ammunition, 20 rds for $11.99. so at least I know I can get it locally.
1927 Mosin-Nagant ex-Dragoon
Marlin 25N
Ruger 10 .22
Mossberg 500

U.S. Amry Ranger 3rd battalion <---My Bro R.P.W.
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

I just got that same Federal 22 ammo. Cabelas sent me a $10 coupon so I dug around looking for a deal. 2100 rounds in a ammo can for $80 after the coupon.

If anyone is in Michigan, the new dunhams add for Sunday has spam cans of 7.62x54R for $90. The one pictured in the ad is 70's Bulgarian, not sure what's actually at the store.
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:All you got is 5000 rounds? You better get resupplied, you getting low :)
That's just the easy-to-get-to-stuff that isn't in spam cans! :thumbsup:

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh, OK, you had me worried there. :)
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

websterz wrote:I generally try to avoid the incoming ones. :chuckles:

:chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :thumbsup:

Sage advice, websterz!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Themosinkid95

Post by Themosinkid95 »

Stay away from the Chinese shit
"Just when they think you're retreatin',you attack!"- Jeb Stuart
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hey this 22 Federal ammo in the 525 rd bulk is great shooting ammo in my 10/22 and Remingtons. That deal is 16.99 per box delivered and no tax. I pay a little more one at a time from Walmart, but get it when I can.
Wriz

Post by Wriz »

I think i still have a box of federal .22 rounds sitting in my ammo can. that's one good reason I love my .22's so cheap to shoot. Plus I got my girlfriend to shoot it to for the first time. but as for mosin ammo, at some point I need to stock up on it.
1927 Mosin-Nagant ex-Dragoon
Marlin 25N
Ruger 10 .22
Mossberg 500

U.S. Amry Ranger 3rd battalion <---My Bro R.P.W.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I buy .22 2000-5000 rounds at a time, you can never have enough .22, even at todays prices it's still dirt cheap.
Theodore Roosevelt