Newbie needs help with this find?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Newbie needs help with this find?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Dam near unissued by the look of it, have a care when pulling the action out of the wood, there are likely to be small metal spacers between the action and the stock, these are called shims and are there set the action properly in the wood for the best possible accuracy. Not every rifle will have them but always be sure to put them back exactly were you found them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Well, I sure was hoping it was what I thought it was, and if it is I cannot believe my dumb self was lucky enough to find it. I asked the owner to tell the seller that I was interested in any others that he had for sale. Thanks for the help guys as I am sure more questions will come up in my quest to find more now.
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

This is exactly why I check the local stores at least once a week :) very nice find.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Whoa! Very Nice! No popsicle improved front end either. I wonder if the bolt has wings or not? At the back of the bolt there may be a wing on the connector bar which fits into a slot on the receiver. This was an early type on modfication the Finn's made that turned out to be a mistake so they stopped using the winged bolt or at least cut the wings off the connector bar. What had been happening was dirt would get in ther at the battlefront and make the bolt almost unworkable. With that being an unimproved front band (no popsicle stick extensions) I was wondering if you still had the wings on the bolt too. They are kind of hard to find without the wings eliminated or flat ground off. We will be asking questions and patting your back to tell you how lucky you are to find that rifle quite regularly I think you will find. The best shooter I ever had was a really nice M27 I foolishly traded away so be prepared for what could be a great shooting rifle judging by the almost total lack of wear on that baby. Wow you even got this old man excited here! Very Nice rifle for sure! Like JYD said anything below $400 judging by the look of that rifle you did really well! Congrats again! Bill :)
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

jonnyboy091373 wrote:This is exactly why I check the local stores at least once a week :) very nice find.

+1 exactly! Bill :thumbsup:
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Nice Finn. You all are talking money but the guy was talking centimeters. What is the exchange rate? :D
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

Winged bolt? I had to look that up real quick. The receiver does not have the little short slots, and the bolt does not have wings. Is this a good thing or bad? I do not have a clue
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

:D Congrats to your first Finn, and a nice one , too! :D

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:

Now you got to go through the preliminsry motions, like cleaning, head-spacing and shooting, not to forgrt reporting with pics. :D
What a find.......
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Definitely congratulations. I want to commend you on having the good sense to go back and get it. Trusting your instinct paid off I'd say. The wings on the bolt would be a good thing, because of the rarity of finding such a bolt/receiver intact it would add to the value, but not the performance. There is no sign of being a bubba, and the only reason I would assume a self proclaimed newbie might ask this is possibly the filled in sling slot on the butt stock. Not to worry. The wood looks so nice from What I can see that I expect that the rest will too as soon as you get more pictures. I am sure you already realize, but I feel it's good to say that you don't want to even think about refinish work of any kind on such a treasure, but then this one does not have the appearance of needing anything except a thorough inspection to be sure it is clean, lubricated, and mechanically sound including a headspace check.
finloq

Post by finloq »

You mistitled this thread. You do not need any help. Good sniffer.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

NCMN wrote:Well, I sure was hoping it was what I thought it was, and if it is I cannot believe my dumb self was lucky enough to find it. I asked the owner to tell the seller that I was interested in any others that he had for sale. Thanks for the help guys as I am sure more questions will come up in my quest to find more now.
Makes you wonder what the other rifles were that have already been sold .
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Just put it in a.box and mail it to Jumperwire c/o RMNF......... :D
That is a nice looking M27. Congrats on a nice find. My first Finn was an M27 and I too had to have somebody confirm it. I got all jittery inside when I saw the SA.mark. I knew it was Finnish, just didn't know what model it was.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

PM me and I will give you my....I mean his address to mail that rifle to :)
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I am curious. When you bought the rifle, what did the gunshop tell you that it was? Did the receipt just say Mosin Nagant? If so, the worst thing you could do is start blabbing to them what they sold you. Once that happens any future sales may be more appropriately priced. You see it all the time on auctions online. The seller will add notes at the bottom of a listing saying stuff like "I have been receiving emails that this model is in fact a _______"
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

I did know anything about a finn, all I had ever seen were 91/30 at gun shows. It was this forum and other one where I got my research done, which resulted in other trip back to gun shop. I guess it was truely beginners luck. Probably never find anything else after this one.
NCMN

Post by NCMN »

It was marked finnish but I told him I did not know if it was or not? The guy selling it just didn't know much about them. I have not told them anything except that it was the nicest nagant I have seen and that was why I bought it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rules of the gunshop when you see something special priced and labeled as something common.
Keep a perfectly straight face, even a slightly bored expression
don't look at the Special Rifle right off, look over a few others first
Steady hands, don't look at the sticker until you see the entire rifle
point out some small flaw
mention something about needing a spare rifle for your brother in law to borrow
never mention being a collector, dealers can smell money
Say that this rifle will do, never "i Gotta Have This"
Try to dicker on the price, they will get suspicious if you don't, and it will cost you next time.
Never, never, try and " educate " them, tell them what's special and they will charge you accordingly, you are not required to teach them their own trade.
Theodore Roosevelt
finloq

Post by finloq »

If it's a pawn shop, they will have it marked up at least a 100%.
I have gotten a couple of $100 steals, which means that the shop probably only had $50 into them.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Again with the pawn shops, closest I have been to a pawn shop is the show on TV, we have no pawn shops here but with all these great deals I hear about you guys scoring in them I may have to open one. Of course it will be the hotel California for guns, they check in but never check out :)
Theodore Roosevelt