Gun Store Pickup Finnish M39 1942 B (Range Trip Vids & Pics)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
timlin33

Re: Local Gun Store Pickup Finnish M39 1942 B

Post by timlin33 »

Nice! And you'll love the way it shoots. Enjoy!!
Slow Ride

Post by Slow Ride »

Very nice. Beautiful rifle!
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Here ya go Desdem a closer look at the lined out number on the left side of the receiver. There is also another 4 digit number just to the left of the lined out set... Any idea what that signifys?

Lined out Finnish Civil Guard Number 48277

Another set of numbers unknown to me??? 3600

I'm taking her apart right now slowly going through the clean up process and will post tang pictures in a little while and anything else I come across interesting.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

The 3600 is a firing proof mark. That one is from VKT it looks like. I believe all the b barrels have the VKT proof mark. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The ones I have seen do.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

desdem12 wrote:The 3600 is a firing proof mark. That one is from VKT it looks like. I believe all the b barrels have the VKT proof mark. :D
Cool how you know all this is just amazing along with everyone else here. The wealth and vast amount of information is just excellent. Here is that SA marked sling with dog collars I have but don't know how I'd mount it to the gun if the dog collars are parallel with the sling swivels. If not I can definitely use it on M91 the way you told me to put it :thumbsup:

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The M39 uses a strap, no dog collars, but if that is a SA marked dog collar sling then it's a good find, save it for a Finn marked 91/30, or M91. M39 slings are not hard to find.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I'd use that on the M91 and get a proper green leather sling for the M39. just my :2cents: though. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The ones I have seen do.
I will be posting a close up video I made earlier but the barrel just has the B I do not see the VKT anywhere. Online I have seen pics of barrels both ways with just a B then the B and VKT....Wonder why if it has the VKT firing proof mark.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

VKT made the M1891 B barrel rifles these actions were cut down from, the B M39's were assembled at Finnish army arsenals, I forget if it was AV-1, or AV-3
Theodore Roosevelt
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The M39 uses a strap, no dog collars, but if that is a SA marked dog collar sling then it's a good find, save it for a Finn marked 91/30, or M91. M39 slings are not hard to find.
Cool! It sure is ill use it on the 43 Tikka M91 then great idea guys..
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It will go great with that rifle :)
Theodore Roosevelt
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Here is two pictures of the tang. The sear has a funny hue to it.

Sorry took it upside down duh
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1907 Izhevsk, the metal is colored a bit from it's heat treatment. ( sear)
Theodore Roosevelt
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:1907 Izhevsk, the metal is colored a bit from it's heat treatment. ( sear)
Ok gotcha. I usually have used a brass shotgun brush to clean chambers on my Russian 91/30s when getting cosmoline out do you recommend that same treatment for this barrel and is it ok to use a 30 caliber brass brush to clean barrel or should I just run patches through it?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Clean it normal. If it needs brushing then brush it, if not just use patches. Most finns have immaculate barrels so don't go over board on the brushing. :D
rollndice83

Post by rollndice83 »

desdem12 wrote:Clean it normal. If it needs brushing then brush it, if not just use patches. Most finns have immaculate barrels so don't go over board on the brushing. :D
Ok should I use just a 12 gauge brush for chamber / locking lug area or just soft micro fiber mop? I use mineral spirits to flush the cosmoline residue. How do you do it ? Or how would you? If you don't mind.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

If the chamber needs brushing use a 20 guage brush. Make sure and clean out the extractor channel and get all the stuff in the chamber. I use hot water and brushing if it needs it then clean with hoppes and then oil. Just make sure nothin is in the chamber like any other rifle and you are good to go. I use a borelight and magnified reading glasses to check the chamber. Then clean as neccessary, sometimes it needs brushing and sometimes not.
finloq

Post by finloq »

M39 slings are readily available for cheap on eBay.
Board sponsor, Liberty Tree has them for $25.
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=41
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
finloq

Post by finloq »

Shim examples:

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"