30 years from now?

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
tincansailor

Re: 30 years from now?

Post by tincansailor »

Same thing happens too me - put something important somewhere where I know I won't forget, then I forget. :) Only good thing is when I do find its like my birthday all over, and I am happy I found it but then I don't need it. Then we start the cycle all over again. Sheesh!
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 1970-1973
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

I'm 67 and since I changed my attitude about diet and exercise by not ignoring the need for taking control and getting serious about daily workouts, I feel better then when I was in my 40's. I found out it is never to late to get healthy unless you are very sick.I came close to getting that way with high blood pressure,high salt,high sugar , wrong vitamin d low and almost no tetosterone. My Dr. at the VA told me 15 years ago I was a dead man tough luck,but it was my fault.Now I am feeling pretty good thanks to my wife's support and others giving me encouragement.losing 25 lbs. and changing the rest of the slob fat into muscle. I admit it took a bad helicopter accident that I caused to wake me up. Had I been in better shape I would never had so much trouble in recovery. But I got my health back and most everything else except my flying license,which they will never let me have again. All for the best I guess. Good luck, I hope y'all are as lucky as I am. I reach out to help other veterans at the VA Hosp. to help them recover.I find I'm never better then when I'm with my friend offering a helping hand. We have so many young ones with head injuries. Many are really struggling because of a nurse shortage in the physical and mental clinics. If you are Vet. and can help, we can always use more volunteers. :thumbsup:
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I keep finding and misplacing my once fired privi made .303 brass from the 1980's. Found it a couple of years ago, put it up someplace, now can't remember were, yesterday I found some of it but it was still loaded, stuff I forgot to shoot 25 years ago.
I found mine but I have only one box of п п у (“PPU”) brass left from what I bought back in early 90’s. The factory load was fired, plus one reload fired and is primed for another reload.

Other than that I have a couple of boxes of 100 unfired, empty W-W Super .303 cases.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest I just wasted."
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

JGC that is great what you are doing to help the Vets.

There doesn't seem to be very many of the young vets here at the Fort Meade SD VA hospital but when I was in the pharmacy waiting for a new prescription to be dispensed, I talked to a young Marine there who was being treated for PTSD. He was the only youngster in a waiting room full of grey haired old farts.

There may be lots more there I guess, but I have not seen many during the one or two times a year I go there.
"I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest I just wasted."
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The ppu stamp stuff is the same batch I bought back then, they came with either red, or green primer pocket sealer in 20 round commercial boxes. It's the Gremlins, they move shit around while I am sleeping, like with the Butcher bayonet for the GEW 98.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
arslin

Post by arslin »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:There is no such thing as too much ammo.
I read once that there is no such thing as too much ammo. There is only: "I have run out of room for more ammo", or "I have not more money for ammo"
Geek

Post by Geek »

If you're thinking of 30 years from now, leave the Mosins in the grease. Due to the low price of the rifles, limit parts purchases to spare springs, and just tuck away an extra rifle or two and a bunch of cleaning supplies. These things have been preserved for decades already, so they'll probably be fine for another few decades.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Most of my collection is already preserved in cosmoline, with the limited use we give these rifles, most of that on the range, they are unlikely to wear out even in 60 years. One year of war use would be equal to 60 years of the pampered existence the rifles see with collectors, maybe even 100 years.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I feel that old whenever it gets damp or cold, :lol:
Jim, it is amazing that damp and cold make you feel younger. :twisted:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No, it just makes the arthritis hurt more .
Theodore Roosevelt
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

I buy ammo in case lots of many calibers as a hedge against inflation. Since I have been buying, none of my ammo has ever lost any of its value. I,m 67 years old and have some ammo as old as I am that still shoots just fine. I agree with the "you can never have to much:buy it cheap and stack it deep" and when the SHTF I can trade ammo for anything I need.And I love having thousands of different type .22 Long Rifle loads for survival to shoot in my two dozen different types of .22's. I buy some quantity of ammo every month just to make me happy and share the experience with my younger members of my family. It's really a good way to keep the family focused and together. :D and good luck to all 30 years from now.JGC
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have been doing that for years, this year alone my stash has sizably increased, even I don't know how many rounds I have :)
Theodore Roosevelt