91/30 a fool or a good find?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 91/30 a fool or a good find?

Post by Longcolt44 »

You did very well. I try and shoot every firearm I get at least once. I do have my favorites though. My 1898 M91 gets shot a lot.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

:) Nice gun at a reasonable price from a local, congrats. Check the stock for stamped squares crossed out diagonally or with one line only from corner to corner. Check the markings stamped under the serial number and try to find their meaning in this forum site or elsewhere.
Check and clean the bore and then check with the head gauge and put some Barnaul Zinc Plated Ammo through it. Be careful with the first shot, wear goggles and take safety precautions......but please, shoot it , if the rifling is OK. You might have an excellent shooter there, if I read all the info right.
I found a 42 Ishevsk refurb last year in B5 that looked so bad they gave it to me 25% off. Guess what, it is the best shooter out of 5....so you never know until you know.
Good job finding this gun! :biggrin:

Anyone may arm bears, as long as the bear can recite the Second Amendment and pledges Allegiance to it!
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

:big shock: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
cam98k

Post by cam98k »

Nice Rifle,Would you Know what the Diamond Shape Stamp is on the Reciever?
I have 2 Hex Mosins and both have that Stamp.1 Tula, 1 Iversk. Regards,Tony.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Most of the small marks and some of the big ones are as yet unknown. We can speculate on some of them, but as the Russians don't like to talk about arms production then or now we may never know for sure.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Silk#2

Post by Silk#2 »

Ok guys I took it apart......but there are no markings on the back like most have just a couple small marks ..there are some on the barrel itself...before and after the mag port...I do like the <star 30> tho...what do you think Boss?? will look for more tomorrow my work week starts at 3 am...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
By johnsilk at 2012-07-24
The 8
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The "diamond" mark may be another refurb stamp. I have a '35 Tula with that mark in the same place. I also have a '28 Izhevsk with a "0" in the same spot.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
cam98k

Post by cam98k »

Thanks for that,Think you are Right,Have only seen that mark on Refurbes,
and also seems to be on Hex Recievers,Have not seen it on round recievers.
Regards,Tony.
Silk#2

Post by Silk#2 »

some pics a little better of top

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The 8
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

cam98k wrote:Thanks for that,Think you are Right,Have only seen that mark on Refurbes,
and also seems to be on Hex Recievers,Have not seen it on round recievers.
Regards,Tony.
I've got a 44 Izhevsk 91/30 with the diamond mark, I also think that it is a refurb mark.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

bunkysdad wrote:Silk, I can sense your excitement for finding this one. I laughed because you called yourself a newbie, but you have a pretty good idea what you got there after already having 2 others. I have a 1930 Tula also, but not quite this nice, and mine is not in a laminate stock. At 160.00 that is a fair retail price. Just look at what you got! Welcome to the forum
Looks good & you seem to already understand the basics on these. I too have a 30 Tula & mine also is in a standard stock.

Looks like you have a keeper there... and Welcome to the forum! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"