My First Mosin Nagant

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tjtM38

Re: My First Mosin Nagant

Post by tjtM38 »

Your professional photography shows. I concur about the barrel bands. You should be able to depress the spring and slide them (with some effort) off. I have had to clean a lot of shellac on a couple of guns to make the springs function as designed.
cwilliams

Post by cwilliams »

WeldonHunter wrote:
You probably shouldn't use snap ring pliers to get the barrel bands off. The band retainer on the right side of the stock in front of the barrel band just needs to be depressed and they should slide forward. If shellac is holding them you may need to pursuade them a bit. I wouldn't use snap ring pliers because the barrel band may break or bend out of shape making it unusable. This shows you how to remove them as well as how to disassemble the whole rifle. information/clean/index.html
Good to know! I'll just work at it some more. I had cleaned and cleaned some more last night and I couldn't get it to budge more than a couple mm. I had read that article a couple times and I guess I needed to at least one more :)
cwilliams

Post by cwilliams »

The parts are now soaking in Mineral Spirits :) What a PITA it was to get those barrel bands off! I found a technique that worked and managed to get them off without destroying the stock. Please tell me they go back ON easier! Haha! :shock:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They don't :) I oil up the wood with lemon oil furniture polish to aid them in sliding back on.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
cwilliams

Post by cwilliams »

That's basically what I had to do to get them off. Good to know I'm pointed in the right direction. Thanks!
cwilliams

Post by cwilliams »

Good news! It passed the headspace "NO-GO" test! It's a shooter! :-D I reassembled it today and oiled it up. Just need to clean the bore and I'll be good to go.

You guys are giving me Mosinitis...I went to Big 5 again today and asked if they had anything not on display in stock. That was my first mistake! The department manager brought out a beautiful 1940 Izhevsk round receiver with what appeared to be an original stock. Matching serials all around (not forced from what I could tell), and gorgeous grain and finish on the wood. Sigh...see what you are all doing! Haha!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I am not sure what you are a doing... there has to be more stores to hit up and more mosins to look over. Just 1? Comeon man :devil2:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
cwilliams

Post by cwilliams »

In the past 7 days I've been to at least seven Big 5's and two Turner's. This was the first Big 5 to have something other than the display guns in stock, and Turner's had over 100 in their warehouse (wherever that is), but nothing on display.
cwilliams

Post by cwilliams »

Since a few of you requested the tang and any other proof marks I could find -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BostonMike

Post by BostonMike »

Last edited by BostonMike on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
BostonMike

Post by BostonMike »

Interesting...

So it's a 1932 dated barrel, but built on a 1920 (I think that's what it shows) Tula receiver that was then Izhevsk over struck?

That's an uncommon setup there.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice. :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)