1944 PU sniper just done the deal

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
svdsniper

Re: 1944 PU sniper just done the deal

Post by svdsniper »

Hi

As mentioned in my last post i got time to personally inspect this rifle today. I was very pleased as barrel has strong rifling and crown looks to be good, will need a thorough clean once i get her home as it seems not to have been cleaned since last used (non corrosive ammo as no rust in bore) and overall the rifle looks good with the sort of wear and tear on each part that you would expect to see so all looks to be original. I took a few extra photos on my phone whilst i was at the gun shop. I inspected the bolt handle bend area very closely and there does not seem to be any evidence of it being cut/welded (i was a welder for 22 years so know what to look for) and the photos do not actually show how uniform the colouring and finish of the bolt handle is, all parts are matching numbers as said earlier and all parts are Izhesk marked. The bolt handle bend area was all a uniform colour with no coloration due to heat of welding and also no evidence of pickling paste having been used to remove any coloration from welding, there were also no clear evidence of grinding/polishing wheel having been applied so i tend to think the bolt is all original too after all it is serial numbered to the rifle and we seem to have already confirmed the rifle as a sniper due to the positioning of the proof marks above the scope serial number. Scope has good clear optics with same wear and tear as rifle. After a decent look over her in what was becomming a busy shop i did not notice any refurb marks so that would also point to this rifle perhapse being an as issued example. Please see the photos below and let me know what you think:-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by svdsniper on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Glad you got to look over it.

Looks good, and I would say nobody has sanded the wood recently seeing the wear and tear to the wood, (scratches) makes it look interesting..

When do you get to take it to the range. (got your cert back yet?)
svdsniper

Post by svdsniper »

Hi Tula Neil

Yes she has scratches as one would expect, i would have been disappointed if the stock was pristine as there is history in those there scratches :-)
I hope to receive my variation by the end of next week and take home saturday morning but with Hampshire police anything can, or can not happen :-)
Once i have full possession i will post better detail photos. For now i am hopefull for further confirmation of genuine as issued sniper status from those more knowledgable than myself on this forum.

Regards

SVD
Mantis

Post by Mantis »

Nice rifle. It's real, for verification there is a list of Izhevsk snipers that the SN should fall into. There are alot of things to look at, don't really mean a thing, it's the rifle in totality. The rifles can be totally turned down, s# and all. The rifle can be totally re stamped , then the fonts will match. Never say NEVER when it comes to Mosin.
I have a real PU and the bolt looks like a rabid beaver ground it. I called R guns and said "WTF??!!" The bolt guide is rough the trigger pin falls out of it, it's a sniper. Admittedly not a nice one, but they are getting low. Hey it's a <2moa rifle, that's dead at 500yds easy. The 7.62 markings is some sort of import stamp, usually from a different country than Russia. The cartouches tell the story and I wish there was a FULL LIST of them. It's a 800 + dollar rifle stateside and with no EP it's gonna be worth more. NICE RIFLE and WELCOME
Baptized by fire
My work must not be done
Cause I'm still here, baby
Only the good die young
(Jeff Williams)
svdsniper

Post by svdsniper »

Hi Mantis

Thanks for your comments, its always good and interesting to recieve feedback from others.The 7.62mm markings are proof markings fom where the rifle must pass proof to guarantee its safety to be sold into the civillian market, aparently the shield and 3KKK are German proof marks. Its great to see that the serial number falls within the known limits on sniper serial numbers. I am still eagerly awaiting the postman delivering my license back to me with authority to take this rifle home as it is currently being stored at my local trusted dealers. Naturally i will post more photos once i have her home and after i get her settled with ammo i can do a range report. In UK prices are usually higher than U.S as you often see a list price in£s that is exactly the same if not higher than the U.S list price in$s, there seems to be a habit over here of doing a 1:1 $/£ conversion rate. They do tend to rip us off on prices over here.

Best regards

SVD
svdsniper

Post by svdsniper »

Well i am still awaiting the return of my license from the polce, this is into the seventh week of waiting now and they tell me it will be looked at week commencing 21st, yep things really are that slow here in once great britain. As son as i get my paperwork sorted and have the rifle in hand i will post more detail and images.

svd
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

:vconfused: Thats a pain, what area you in, I sold one of my rifles over a month ago, the buyer is still waiting for his cert to arrive, (he's in Staffs)

I thought you will have been to the range for sure by now.
svdsniper

Post by svdsniper »

Hi Tula Neil

I am in Hampshire.well known for being crap with regards to firearms licensing. When i had my FAC in for a variation to add a 7.6239 i was the first in Hamshire to do this and ws told my the head of the firearms dept that i couldnt have it as there were no rifles in the country to fire that calliber................when i told him he was wrong and i ad a deposit on one in the next county he hit the roof. long story short and 6 officers turn up where the rifle is stored to inspect it (3 from Dorset and 3 from Hampshire) and witnesses tell me that Hampshire were pushing to declare it section 5 so that they had something on me but one of the Dorset guys apparently said "dont be so bloody silly" to Hampshire numpty and all was ok but they copped the hump with me over this lol.

svd
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Hi SVD.
Someone in Hampshire has your cards marked then, it would seem since your 7.62x39 variation NOT being section 5 and they being made to look stupid :roll: by the other police force. Are you being charged storeage by the RFD to look after your Mosin, if so bill the police for it after you get your cert...Hope it does not take much longer for you..
Are you attending the Phoenix meeting at Bisley ?
svdsniper

Post by svdsniper »

Hi Tula Neil

The section 5 issue happened quite a few years ago when the AK first became avaliable here since the semi auto rifle ban. They made a few issues at the time and for a short time after but i have got one over on the several times including proving the head guy wrong in regards to the legality of rifled choke tubes on section 1 shotguns lol. Generally all has been ok and amicable and the enquiry officers i have had have been fine. I am just hopefull of getting this simple variation back sometime before my retirement (im almost 40 now) lol.

regards

SVD
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That sure sounds Tough for you guys. It must be a real test of ones patience to have to deal with getting a firearm in your country. I am glad that there are people like you guys there to further the shooting sports in your country. I hope it never gets that bad here. :clap: :clap: :toast:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
svdsniper

Post by svdsniper »

Things are not too good here with regard to firearms ownership but not 100% bad either. Our government and police need to understand that legal ownership is not a problem as we are dedicated sports persons and collectors etc. I will always own at least one firearm its just a question of if it is deemed legal or not. I will only live once and i have never hurt anyone so i am not going to bury my head in the sand, i will go out and enjoy my hobby one way or another :-)

Tula Neil
Yes i hope to attend the Phoenix meeting, i normally go up on a sunday to see if i can score any bargains at the arms fair. I hope to be up there again this year.

regards

svd
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Hi svd,

I'm planning on the Saturday for the Phoenix, as I have brass I pre ordered to collect. 30-06 for my 1903A3.

desdem12:

Patience is the one thing you need plenty of over here, when you want to have and use guns, and then you are limited to the type/calibre and how many you can own of each calibre. Shooting over here is on a slight rise with people applying for Certificates and joining the NRA and shooting clubs...which can only be good news for everyone who shoots.
svdsniper

Post by svdsniper »

well last Friday i emailed the person who oversees the licensing to ask for an update as i was told by this person that it would be looked at in the week commencind 21st, there was no reply...................this morning i email again stating that due to nothing landing on my doormat and the fact that they didnt even bother to reply i had put 2 and 2 together that they had in fact done nothing, this afternoon i et a reply to confirm that my license is actually in a pile on this persons desk "to look at tomorrow" so i guess all along it was on said desk but there was no intention of getting it done until tomorrow (if it actually gets done) They have howevr agreed to email me the result of if i am granted authority to own this rifle (i already own a 7.62x54 so whats the f-ing issue) so i will await the joyous email to further delay by sending my case to the enquiry oficer (thats what i am half expecting as its the next logical delay that they coud apply)
Ahhhh proud to be British????.....................NO!
:angry4:
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

man that must really be a pain. Here in the States, we have some problems in some specific locations (Chicago and New York City come to mind) but nothing like the paperwork BS you guys have to deal with. I hope you are "allowed" to receive your property soon.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Congrats on what looks like a good one. It just amazes me, reading what you poor fellows in the UK have to go through to buy a rifle. One of my local gun stores sells beer as well as guns, and you can go home with both in about 20 minutes.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
svdsniper

Post by svdsniper »

Hi All

i have finally got her home and i am a happy man.
Acouple of hours were spent cleaning all the years of crap out of the bolt and other nook and crannies as well as giving the barrel a good scrub out as it had clearly not been cleaned in some time. She has come up nice and the bore looks fine, shiny with strong rifling so looking forward to shooting her soon.
Below are some more detailed photos of her markings. There is a single number 4 stamped into the butt of this rifle, any ideas what that means???
Also there is evidence of gentle grinding where the scope number is stamped on the barrel shank so this rifle seems to have had more that one scope in its life and there is also some evidence of an electro pencilled number in this area at some time. She is clearly stamped with the correct scope number she is wearing now and all looks original with equal wear and tear. I like the fact that the scpe even has slight dent as she has "been there" etc. Any ideas on the scope re-numbering as there does not appear to be any re-arsenal markings????
All markings found on this rifle are Izhesk and the barrel bands are the hinged type, the cleaning rod is also stamped with Izhesk marking so possible the original.
More photos of the entire rifle to come soon.

SVD
scope number close up (Medium).jpg
scope number close up 2 (Medium).jpg
scope marking (Medium).jpg
scope turret dent (Medium).jpg
butt plate number (Medium).jpg
magazine number (Medium).jpg
stock number 4 (Medium).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Wow that looks just great. They may have had a broken scope and had to get a new one and renumbered it. The EP stuff could a been there to keep it paired or maybe the old one was EPed. The butt plate has been scrubbed and renumbered but that means nothing either. Way cooool rifle. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)