How many of you hunt with your Mosin Nagants?

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: How many of you hunt with your Mosin Nagants?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I bought one for the Old Man about 12 years back and paid $150 for a .30-30 336 used from the 80's in good condition. Don't know what the used market is now but they are so common I wouldn't think it's over $200, check GB, or your local gun shop.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I've been watching the older used ones on gunbroker and to me they seem a little high. Ranging anywhere from $250 up to $450. Most of them are on the higher end. Thats high to me when a new one is around $400. But I guess its still worth it when the quality is better in the older rifles. I hope I can find one pretty cheap locally. If I could find one in nice shape for $200-$250 I'd be all over it. But I've kinda noticed that alot of local firearm prices seem to be a little higher than the rest of the country. But thats what I have to deal with haha. But we do have some of the cheapest gas prices across the country :D.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If you know any of the local hunters just keep asking around, someone is bound to have one that they would be reasonable about sooner or later.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

The only hunter I know really well is my uncle. He's probably going to be the one to teach me. I get a little frustrated about local people selling firearms. Most everyone around here thinks their gun is made of gold and magically raised in value once it touched their hands lol. I'm sure something will pop up sooner or later.

Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Kyle

How many of you hunt with your Mosin Nagants?

Post by Kyle »

I may use my M44 that I picked up today. I have two other rifles, a Remington 700 and a Browning X-bolt Medallion. I bought the X-bolt the year it came out and it is such a nice looking rifle I don't want to bang it up.

Kyle
Formerly kyle514

History admires the wise, but elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

On occasion I have guys who want to trade me guns for car parts, or just bring them to me because they know I am a gun guy and they need money. So long as it's yes to Does it shoot, No to Did you steal it, and the price is low I take most of them, not to much being offered to me of late, the last was a Ithaca 37 with a peep sight epoxied onto the receiver. Epoxied so tight that it will require serious force to remove it so for now it stays. The asking price was a C note so I didn't complain, as otherwise the gun is clean, and I like Ithaca 37's. I expect another lever rifle will walk in here eventually as the economy gets worse and people still need to keep their shit boxes running.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I use a more modern combination of weapons: My wife and a 2008 Kia Rio. Put her on the road before daylight and she will bring home the bacon, or venison as the case may be.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I got a rabbit once using a 225/70/15 Goodyear radial on the front of a 1995 Crown Vic, and once a deer with the front of a 1987 Chrysler 5th ave but it don't count as it got up and ran away, still wrecked the car's header panel, plastic piece of shit.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

I have used my MN's to hunt snapping turtles and alligators when I was working in the oil fields of South La. used to have a friend that lived in Sunset,La. not to far from Cajun on Mushroom Rd.We also hunted snakes and big Gar fish in the Athafalaya Swamps.Also Bob cats ,Racoons, Fox . All kinds of animals live in those La. swamps. A good place to have a Mosin-Nagant. :thumbsup: JGC
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I got 2 deer with a 352............................. :beek: That was inside a 19 and 65 ford 4x4. IT had a big channel iron bumper with a winch guard just for deer hunt..i mean running in to stuff. One deer i saw on the side of the road and knew it was gonna cross and sure enough i was trying to bring the 3/4 ton down to a reasonable speed but got it anyway. Launched it clear across the road. When i went to find it it was about 20 feet of the road with a giant hole in the side. :lol: Lucky for me it didn't catch the tires or i would a been the one 20 feet of the road. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

My wife had a few deer jump out in front of her last night. It freaked her out lol. She told me to go check the car for dents because she heard a thump. I looked and didn't see any dents. But she hit one lightly. The was some deer hair sticking out of some of the bumper crevices :lol:

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

See you already are an accomplished deer hunter with a nice weapon. :thumbsup: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Not me, my wife. I am so ashamed :oops: . It also brings a new level of dirty to the bmw lol. The car has a camo steering wheel cover, gun stickers in the back window, and hasn't been washed in more than a year :lol:

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice, Sounds like a hunting vehicle to me. :vcool: :lol:
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I haven't worked out where the dead deer would go yet haha. I've been wanting to get a truck but I'm not sure yet if I can. I'm thinking about selling some stuff to get some cash to get one. It would function as my daily driver and recreational vehicle. Then my wife can have the bmw for hers.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

BMW's are far to high toned a vehicle for that sort of treatment, it will crap out for sure , you need a truck, a real one not this crap that passes for a truck today. Manual transmission with four wheel drive and granny gears, winch in the front end, power steering and brakes are for p..........soft individuals. Go to Hemmings Motor News and look under trucks and commercial vehicle, yes, the huge 1971 army 6x6 is cool, but try filling it's fuel tanks. What you want is a nice '68-79 Chevy C30, or a Dodge W300, or Ford F 350. Springs to haul a ton, big ass V8, real truck size tires, a mans machine built for real work :thumbsup: Dodge power wagon :biggrin:
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Haha nice. Im not taking the bimmer hunting lol. Its a really good car though. Its a little older has 180 thousand miles so some stuff is starting to wear out. But nothing I can't fix. Been pretty easy to work on so far too. I definitely a truck but I don't know what I can afford yet.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Hey Pony, I took a 70 camaro out hunting one year. I had my son with me too and he was a few months old. This is not pavement hunting either. It was a 4 speed though. :lol: I didn't get a deer but i was prepared to tie it to the top of the car. I did drag bottom a few times. I was in the mountains of utah. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ponycarman wrote:Haha nice. Im not taking the bimmer hunting lol. Its a really good car though. Its a little older has 180 thousand miles so some stuff is starting to wear out. But nothing I can't fix. Been pretty easy to work on so far too. I definitely a truck but I don't know what I can afford yet.

I had a 2000 Chrysler convertible come in yesterday with a slipping transmission and 289,000 miles on it, it drove in mind you, and still runs. If one of those pieces of shit can get that far then any car can!
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I've had this car about two years. Got it right before I got married. So far it hasn't been a bad car. Its a 95 525i. I understand stuff wears on ever car. All i've replaced is rge fuel pump, coil, a relay, and a rear wheel bearing. Everything except the bearing has been pretty easy. I went to school to be a mechanic though. I'm going I can sell another older bmw I picked up a few years back and have been working on and probably my honda motorcycle i've been working on. Im hoping to get about 3 thousand for them. Should get me enough to get a good truck around here.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)