Extended/hi-cap mags

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Jackson

Re: Extended/hi-cap mags

Post by Jackson »

OLD OUTLAW wrote:
Jackson wrote:you can modify the extended magazines to use stripper clips by cutting back on the back of the feed lips to match the geometry of the fixed mag.

the only probably i've had with them is that you need three hands to remove a loaded mag from the gun, since you can't pull the mag out with the bolt closed.
I see, now we tell people how to also modify after market mags so they can make them work. When will the Tapco stocks, scope mounts and the rest come up. Those can be reversible also. It's a very slippery slope here right now.
eh, i know a guy who got a romanian SKS that somebody else had lost the fixed mag for, he used the tapco mag mod to gain the ability to use stripper clips.

to be honest, what's the big deal? the mosin clamp-on scope mounts are more invasive than that tapco magazines.
We soldier on, not because we think we can win, but because we refuse to lose quietly.
Woodbeef

Post by Woodbeef »

I gotta agree with Howie and Old Outlaw. You either stick to only allowing as issued or bubbas. You can't have it both ways.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

blackwolf97 wrote:Yeah, I'll be THAT guy. Hi-capacity SKS mags...are they AK mags? Am I looking for SKS mags? I'd like to let this thing let loose at the range a little bit more than the wimpy 10 rounds it came with.
Replacing the ten round mag alters the gas cycle, the SKS rifle was designed to fired in the prone position why it has a slim profile, when altered they prove unreliable so letting loose will be inherent with problems with a modification of the magazine. The SKS as left in it's original configuration is one of the most reliable rifles ever produced, they are not AK's the SKS to maintain it's suburb reliability should not be modified for this reason alone.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:
blackwolf97 wrote:Yeah, I'll be THAT guy. Hi-capacity SKS mags...are they AK mags? Am I looking for SKS mags? I'd like to let this thing let loose at the range a little bit more than the wimpy 10 rounds it came with.
Replacing the ten round mag alters the gas cycle, the SKS rifle was designed to fired in the prone position why it has a slim profile, when altered they prove unreliable so letting loose will be inherent with problems with a modification of the magazine. The SKS as left in it's original configuration is one of the most reliable rifles ever produced, they are not AK's the SKS to maintain it's suburb reliability should not be modified for this reason alone.

this post doesn't really make a lot of sense, what use is a semiauto rifle that can only be fired properly while prone?
We soldier on, not because we think we can win, but because we refuse to lose quietly.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The SKS rifle can be fired with no problems from any of the normal firing positions that any other rifle can be fired from. It has an advantage that rifles with high capacity magazines like the AK47, STG44, or Tommy gun do not have in that the magazine only extends slightly below the stock allowing for a shooter to maintain a low profile while shooting from the prone position. I have fired the AK47 from the prone position and the extension of the magazine does force you to sit up higher to avoid digging the mag into the ground.
It would seem to me that this topic has been pretty well beaten to death by now, the questions about aftermarket AK magazines has been answered, opinions about them have been given. Let me boil it down, SKS aftermarket magazines do not require the permanent alteration of the weapon, they are replaceable with the original in a few minutes, this being the case talking about them is not a violation of forum policy against permanent modifications to milsurp rifles. That being said this is a forum inhabited primarily by milsurp preservationists and purists who look on such things as these magazines as both unnecessary and in poor taste, in light of that a positive response to such questions will be lukewarm at best. I have the advantage of having handled a number of these aftermarket SKS magazines both metal and plastic, 20 and 30 rounders, and even a SKS that uses AK mags. I found them overall to be cheap, unreliable, and they look like shit on the weapon, some broke outright ( plastic) others had spotty reliability when it came to feeding the ammo properly ( the 20 round steel) and the AK mag variety was such a piece of shit I lack the necessary command of the English language to describe it properly. The SKS comes with a 10 round magazine, it was designed that way from the start, it is battle proven, and works well. Ten rounds is five more than any Mosin or Mauser, if it's a question of SHTF firepower if you can't hit it with the first couple of rounds what in hell do you need an extra ten for? Frankly I find ten rounds excessive, even the legendary M1 Garand, the rifle of GI Joe from Normandy to Okinawa only held 8 rounds.
There are rifles that are designed to handle extended capacity magazines, the AK47 is both inexpensive and available, and designed to work with a very good 30 round detachable magazine.
There now, we have covered the forum legality, the advisability of using one, and you have gotten a real wold appraisal from somebody who has had hands on experience with the product in question. This should bring this discussion to a close.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Leadslinger45

Post by Leadslinger45 »

I came here to be on a "collector"/"keeping it original" forum.. I understand you may find a SKS now and again at your local shop for cheap with no mag, and thats cool, but PLEASE dont bring the hi-cap detachable, plastic stocks with AR butts, bubba backyard mods here... This is kind of a last retreat for collectors, I know alot others will agree with me on that, So take this somewhere else please..
Celt

Post by Celt »

My opinion...leave it alone please.they don't work well because the carbine in question was never intended for hi cap mags.Joseph Stalin wanted a non detachable mag so the troops wouldn't lose them and ten rounds forces you to be more proficient with your we :2cents: apon.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Old post, I think we got the issue squared away :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
blackwolf97

Post by blackwolf97 »

Thanks, yall. The function of the weapon and the firing attitude of the shooter are degraded when using the bigger mags. The bigger mags have durability and reliability issues. The experts have said that it's not worth my time and I should leave the weapon in its current (original) configuration. Appreciate it, yall. To prevent trolling and flaming, can a mod please close this thread of mine?

To all others that contributed, whether the purists liked your participation or not, thank you. It's adversity and differences that make life interesting and learning so critical.
GrandPrix.Net

Sig P238 .40S&W
Izhevsk M44
Izhevsk SKS
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

desdem12 wrote:THe SKS is a classic. It should not be altered and i think it looks excellant unaltered. My quest for an original mag a while back was unrewarded and they seem to be hard to find. I did find a 20 rd "shark fin" To be able to return the one i have to close to original. (It was previoulsly altered by someone else). Is there a better supply of original magazines now or is this still a problem? :D
I'm not trying to revive this thread but since the theme is keeping them original and someone might come across this thread in search of an original magazine as well as a request in the thread asking where an original magazine might be found I thought I'd post this here. Apex Guns has original Yugo magazines for $25 and they say it will work on any SKS. I know this is true because I have a Russian M45 and a Yugo M59/66 that I've swapped the magazines between to see why the Yugo's magazine seemed to be so loose. I came to the conclusion it's just the way that rifle is but was curious. https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_in ... cts_id/148