The Project Continues...

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
awalker1829

Re: The Project Continues...

Post by awalker1829 »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:36 pm So, when you moved it, why didn't you just call the big tow truck?
The Yellow Coach was boxed in by other pieces of equipment. If we’d had the big tow truck it wouldn’t have been able to reach the bus. Plus we didn’t want to impose on our friend who has the big tow truck. One of our guys knows him well and he will often tow our stuff for free. His company runs everything from rollbacks to a tractor with a Landoll trailer. Small stuff we haul ourselves with a deuce and a half.

On one occasion I had to have Barnett’s tow the GM Old Look. They sent out a heavy duty wrecker to get it. When he lifted it, nothing registered on the gauges in the cab-that’s how light the bus is. Heavy duty wreckers can measure the weight on each axle.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

I was just thinking about the buses the other day, due to seeing one on TV and this thread pops back up.

Looking good can't wait to see it 100% completed, hell if I make out that way i would make it point to visit yall just to see them in person.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Around here the big wreckers are very expensive, you owe a grand the moment they start the truck in their own lot.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

The tow I paid for was only $500 since it was only going a couple of miles. We have all sorts of interesting things in the museum, including the world's only operable Model 40 Twin Coach under restoration. We also have a VW bug that was converted into a mock streetcar. I'll take photos next time I am at the shop.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

We’ve gotten back to work on the bus and are possibly going to paint the interior next Saturday, provided that the weather cooperates with us. Today was spent finishing the masking inside the bus, taping plastic sheeting in place to protect the ceiling and covering the entire floor with butcher paper.

That took about an hour to finish as it took time to work around the heater unit.

This required a bit of cutting to contend with all of the stuff on the cab floor. Reaching up under the dash by the pedals was a pain, but had to be done since the paint goes up in there too. Hand brake, steering column and driver’s seat frame get painted.

Covering the steps was a real challenge. The sides of the step well get painted but the treads and front of the steps don’t. On the bottom step, the paper has to go under the doors. Of course, they drag on part of the tread which makes getting the paper in place without tearing it a chore.

Once this is done, we can get back to finish working on the seats and put them back in. Then all we have to do is replace the rubber flooring in the aisle when we have the funds to do so. That can be done without removing the seats.

It seems hard to believe that I have been working on the bus for six years now, but that is true. I’ve done everything from rewiring the lighting circuits and replacing damaged wiring in the main conduit to bodywork. I’ve been over, under or inside every inch of that bus multiple times. And to think, this is the “easiest” bus to put back on the road in our collection!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

A lot of work there... Can't wait to see the finished product! :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh yea, been doing the same to antique cars since the early 1980's when I first got into it when a neighbor offered me a 1961 DeSoto. That DeSoto wasn't even an antique yet, but the tailfins hooked me anyway. Probably a hundred grand spent on similar projects since then, more if you count tools acquired, trips to swap meets and car shows, magazines,
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

We applied the final layer of paint for Old Pueblo Transit Company No. 135 this morning. I was delayed as I had gone by my LGS to pick up a box of 9mm Makarov. Took an hour just to get in the building as they were only permitted to have thirty customers in the building at any one time.

Here’s a good photo of the final paint pattern:

Here’s a view of the passenger cabin before we removed all the masking material. That took about four hours to do. The masking did its job well. Now all that’s left to do is fix a few places in the flooring where the glue has failed, finish the seats and put them back in the bus.

awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Today was my first day back at the shop, working on the bus since COVID began. A couple of us worked on final sanding on the fiberglass seats. We consulted with a professional fiberglass restoration person who was recommended by one of our professional automotive members. He looked at a sample seat we took to him and suggested three different methods of restoring the color of the seats, including which dyes to use and where to get them. The guys who are in the shop during the week will get the materials and next weekend we will experiment and try to match the dye color to the seats that are in good condition.

Our downtown museum may try a limited reopening in October, providing that they can get enough volunteers. They’re thinking weekends only and reduced capacity for social distancing. Masks will be mandatory. The shop will probably remain closed to the public due to irregular volunteer hours.

All in all, things are going all right for now. None of the guys in the shop have gotten COVID other than the one who got it in Germany at the start of the Pandemic. We’re all following CDC and local health department guidelines.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Saturday was a busy day at the shop-nine volunteers working on various projects. Everyone was social distanced and masked. We had to move two buses so that the trolley guys could bring the forklift in and lift some parts onto the roof of one of the trolleys. The 40 foot Neoplan took a while to move, as one of the safety interlocks would not release. Eventually I figured out that the wheelchair lift interlock was holding it and remembered which button to push to release it.

Once I got it out of the shop building, I took it around the block a couple of times to exercise the engine and other systems. Then I parked it in the parking lot and waited for the trolley guys to finish their job. They assisted in putting the Neoplan back in its spot. That required backing into the shop building and navigating tight quarters once inside. Putting the other bus back was easy since it is parked head in.

Modern transit buses typically have two automatic safety interlocks. One is connected to the rear door (if the bus has one) and the other is connected to the wheelchair lift/ramp. When activated, the interlock does two things-it locks the brakes up and disengages the transmission. This is to ensure that the bus cannot move while the lift is activated or the rear doors are not closed. The rear door interlock should automatically deactivate once the doors close. The wheelchair lift interlock typically requires the operator to take an action to deactivate the interlock. In the case of the Neoplan, you have to press the red button on the control panel. Note that disrupting electrical power (like shutting the bus down completely and restarting it) will not reset the safety interlocks.

Some buses have a safety interlock on the front door, but not always. The rear door (if provided) always has a safety interlock. The reason for this is that the driver has very poor visibility of the rear door. There have been cases where the door caught a passenger’s loose garment and the bus driver drove off, unaware that they were dragging someone. It only took a few accidents for the industry to decide that rear doors had to have a safety interlock.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Spent a couple of hour at the shop this morning. We actually got around to testing the fiberglass dye and resin on a seat.

Here’s the back of the rear bench seat with the resin applied. We’ll let it set up and see if the color looks good. If it looks good, we’ll apply the resin to the other seats. If it looks bad, we’ll try one of the other methods. Since this is the back of the bench seat, no one’s going to see it anyways.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Well, we were satisfied with the resin test on the seat, so today was spent cleaning several seats and applying a coat of resin.

For comparison, the seat on the ground had not been treated with the resin. It really pulled the color out.

We treated several seats and set them in the paint booth to cure. Next weekend we’ll do the rest of the seats. Then we’ll clean the floor before reinstalling them. Progress!
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Cool, glad to see this thread pop back up and to see more work being done. Looking awesome can't wait to see the finished project.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I love all those old buses. Nice job of restoring!

Darryl
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Next weekend we'll be treating the rest of the seats. The following weekend I will be cleaning the rubber flooring in preparation for installing the seats. Since the COVID infection rates have been declining locally, hospitals are permitting more elective operations. The other guy that's working with me on the bus has a procedure scheduled in a couple of weeks, so he'll be out of action for a weekend.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Spent the day scrubbing the rubber flooring and applying wax. We’ll be finishing up the seats and touching up the seat frames soon.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Today was spent working on seats-specifically touching up paint on visible parts of the seat frames. Sanded and primed spots that had rust before lunch and painted after lunch.

Next weekend will be spent touching up the paint on the ceiling of the bus and sealing the standee windows with black silicone. Reinstalling the seats will be the last step and takes two people to do as the seats are bolted in place. All the seats have to be loaded through the emergency exit and someone has to crawl under the bus to put the nuts on the bolts and tighten them with a wrench. Fortunately, the high floor makes for a lot of room under the bus.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Got more done on the bus last weekend. I finished recoating the seats with resin a couple of weeks ago and last Saturday we began reinstalling the seats. Put the rear bench seat and the four seats that go over the wheel wells in. Reinstalling the seats is a two man job-one person in the bus to keep the bolts from turning and the other under the bus torqueing the nuts down. The rear bench seat is three pieces that get bolted together and installed as a single unit. The only seat not finished is the driver's seat, which is getting reupholstered. Once that is done, all that remains is to get the two exterior advertising panels done.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

awalker1829 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:41 am Got more done on the bus last weekend. I finished recoating the seats with resin a couple of weeks ago and last Saturday we began reinstalling the seats. Put the rear bench seat and the four seats that go over the wheel wells in. Reinstalling the seats is a two man job-one person in the bus to keep the bolts from turning and the other under the bus torqueing the nuts down. The rear bench seat is three pieces that get bolted together and installed as a single unit. The only seat not finished is the driver's seat, which is getting reupholstered. Once that is done, all that remains is to get the two exterior advertising panels done.
Cool....We need picrures!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member