How old are we.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Sgt. Rob

Re: How old are we.

Post by Sgt. Rob »

My first car was a 1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 I bought used for an even $1000.00. that I worked hard for at the age of 14 and 15. I looked for gas stations that had gas for around .60 odd cents a gallon and I was fasinated with the "new" punk rock music, enen though I grew up a farm boy. I am a cold war vet from the end of that era and still played in the sand in '91. I am young enough to be a deputy sherriff, but too old to be a U.S. marshal, border patrol agent, or work for the FBI. Yet I am still physically capable of wrestling with itinerent drunks, and doped up crack heads a third of my age. So the Federal agencies can kis my A**! :thumbsup:

Semper Fi, Rob
Last edited by Sgt. Rob on Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Just reread my post, guess I am feeling a little fiesty in my old age!

Semper Fi, Rob
1938 Tula
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I love getting old, as a child I died and came back, as an adult I have twice been within deaths reach and somehow by the grace of the Lord survived, it's been golden time ever since. I remember when a good size bag of corn chips was .25 cents, when a child could stay out all night camping in the woods without armed guards, or take a long walk just about anywhere without fear of anything. I remember when a man could chow down on a dripping fat burger or three without the f***in' food police telling him how he will now die of heart disease. I remember when movies in town, when we had a theatre, were considerably less than a buck and you got a cartoon, movie short, and the main feature. I remember when Americans, real ones, drove American cars, proudly made in America, by American workers. I remember when TV was black and white, sometimes they would run tests of the system that was supposed to let us know when the Soviets were going to nuke us. Cold drinks came in glass bottles that would sweat in the humid summer evenings. I remember when if I wanted to know something I went to the library, looked up the subject in the card catalog, found the book on the shelf, and read about whatever it was you wanted to know. Computers, cell phones, flat color TV's, were all science fiction. Indoor conditioned air was for rich people, and later the movie house, the ice box made ice but you had to fill trays with water and freeze them. So much has changed, and not much of it for the better.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rob, as a deputy Sheriff you serve the people of your own community, they look to you for protection when they need it, I imagine they still well remember what happened when the Federal agents came calling at Ruby Ridge.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:I could buy a candy bar when I was 8 in 1974 for .15 cents
Well let's see I was in Norfolk Va. riding that big black Nuc powered cigar that tied up at D&S Pier 22 at the Naval Base, I had been there two years by that time and deployed three times to go play with the Russians in the big pond. So I guess I am a bit older than you are :biggrin:
I learned to drive in a 49 Plymouth my dad bought for $40 dollars when I was 13 years old (that was back in Ar-Kansas).
I remember John Glens taking his ride on that Atlas Booster because I was in the third grade at the time. I sat up and watched the first moon landing when I was in high school. Do you remember "Good night David, good night Chet" I heard this every night of the week at the end of the news. I sat in front of the TV and watched Jack Ruby shoot Lee Harvey Oswald and I still say that he didn't act alone. I helped my teacher lower the flag to half mast at school when President Kennedy was shot that November in 1963. But I am not OLD, just experienced. :biggrin:
Siam

Post by Siam »

Yep, 5 cents for a bottle of Coke, 5 cents for a big candy bar, hamburgers 7 for a $, and a $ worth of gas would last all week.
Mitch Conner

Post by Mitch Conner »

I saw Oswald get shot too. Yep, 5....huh, doesn't seem to be a "cent" key on the keyboard. Anyway, nickel candy bars, eaten while riding our Schwinns in and out of the oily fog put out by the town mosquito spray truck. Playing in the swamp out past the highway and the two sets of RR tracks. Listening to the radio after Thanksgiving dinner and if it sounded like the Holiday Traffic Death Toll was lagging, Dad would pile us all in the old buick and do a couple of fast laps around the block :lol: . Times were simpler then....Heehee, Duck and Cover drills.....like that was gonna help.
And hello, new MN owner here, from NW Wisconsin.
dou44

Post by dou44 »

i thought i was getting old but you guys make me feel young and i rember buying the 5cent cokes.and i learn to drive in a 63 impala i bought for $80.i barly missed nam but did catch the gulf 2 times. and i still like watching Mr Ed when i can catch him on.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Old enough to see the parental curse come true, the "when you have kids, I hope they act just like you". :shock: Old enough, I have apologized several time to my parents for my youth. :lol: They just laugh.

I learned to drive in a Volkswagon Thing. :oops: In my youth, I saw Jaws at a drive in, but don't remember it, I do vaguely remember the the news when Elvis passed. I miss the summer days of bushhogging with a 2 cylinder Deere, running a hayrake with an Oliver 66 and creek swimming afterward.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Comic books were $.60 back when they had good ones. I think a candy bar was $.25 and then later a $ could get you almost 5 Marks and the Ruble was worth something. Oh and they had different prices on books for a US dollar or Canadian. :D
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Rob, as a deputy Sheriff you serve the people of your own community, they look to you for protection when they need it, I imagine they still well remember what happened when the Federal agents came calling at Ruby Ridge.
If one good thing came out of Ruby Ridge here, its that this S.O. is very distrustful of outside agencies. Which fits my own personal views very well. Protect the citizen against ANY abuse of the law.

Semper Fi, Rob
1938 Tula
cheech

Post by cheech »

I was a waiter at "The Last Supper".
Sticks7107

Post by Sticks7107 »

Not to bust up the nostalgia, folks, but there are some young guns here too.

I'm 23, my first memory is of watching some TV coverage of the late stages of the 1st Gulf War.
DTOM
WTC 7
Molon Labe
End the Fed

"Let our advance worrying become advance thinking and planning" - Winston Churchill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

When I was a boy President Lincoln called for 300,000 volunteers to defend the Union, so of course I wrote 18 on a slip of paper and stuck it in my shoe. When I was asked if I was over 18 I didn't have to lie, yes I am! So began my great adventure with the 27th Regiment Infantry I had to go all the way to Elmira to hitch up, figured nobody would know my age there, we were the "Union Regiment", and yes Sir, Bull Run sure was a pickle, we did some scrapin' with Johnny Reb off and on, being a three year man by 1863 I ended the war with the 121st NY, never got a scratch. :)
Theodore Roosevelt
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

You people GET OFF MY LAWN!! :shock:

You can still get Cokes here for .05. Just have to go to the Coke museum. The first computer I had came with a whooping 4K of RAM. I upgraded it to 8K, and it was so much faster. Back then, we did not have hard drives. I had a tape recorder hooked up to the computer.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

I'm not as old as some of you but I'm getting there. I learned to drive in a 69 Impala that was 8 years old and remember buying candy bars for 10 cents as a kid.
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

Fred_G wrote:You people GET OFF MY LAWN!! :shock:

You can still get Cokes here for .05. Just have to go to the Coke museum. The first computer I had came with a whooping 4K of RAM. I upgraded it to 8K, and it was so much faster. Back then, we did not have hard drives. I had a tape recorder hooked up to the computer.
My first computer came from Radio Shack and I had a plug in game called "The Count". Boy have we come a long ways from that to what we have today. My wife would get mad at me for trying to figure out how to program the thing using the TV for my video screen.
I'm calling BS on JYD and the first battle of Bull Run, I think he was too old even then to serve his country. :mrgreen: Now I might believe he serve in the Revolution under Washington at Valley Forge.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Fred_G wrote:You people GET OFF MY LAWN!! :shock:

I use to hate computers twenty years ago, now I maintain a data base and analyze data for a company all day, basically I sit behind a computer, I never would have seen that one coming.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:When I was a boy President Lincoln called for 300,000 volunteers to defend the Union, so of course I wrote 18 on a slip of paper and stuck it in my shoe. When I was asked if I was over 18 I didn't have to lie, yes I am! So began my great adventure with the 27th Regiment Infantry I had to go all the way to Elmira to hitch up, figured nobody would know my age there, we were the "Union Regiment", and yes Sir, Bull Run sure was a pickle, we did some scrapin' with Johnny Reb off and on, being a three year man by 1863 I ended the war with the 121st NY, never got a scratch. :)
Uhhhhh Jim, did your remember your medications today? That paragraph sounds familiar though.

I will add to my previous post that my GRANDFATHER was born during the civil war. That is a painting of his gorgeous face to the right of my posts. He and his brothers and cousins were on the other side of the river from JYD and his gang of cut-throats. (Damn Yankees)

Let the thread drift......

I am currently reading The Generals a neat biography of U.S. Grant and Bobby Lee. If you haven't read this one Jim, I will send it to you when I am done.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I may have hit the curios status, but I got a few years before I reach the relic status :lol: :lol:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.