Help A Non-feeding M44

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
WeldonHunter

Re: Help A Non-feeding M44

Post by WeldonHunter »

BostonMike wrote:Mine does. I have purposly loaded them with rims behind the round below and it will hold it down far enough. I've never had a rim lock problem ever.

I don't think this is the original posters problem. A good pic of where the round jams would greatly help. He did provide pics of the rifle, but a pic of the problem would be more useful.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
This is in response to "son of a gun" and the fact that he has a round diving instead of feeding. The original poster can't post pictures because it's not his rifle and he doesn't have it with him. He'll be at my place this Sat. and hopefully he can get the rifle and bring it with him so we can work it out.
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

WeldonHunter wrote:
pacanis wrote:I agree with Boston. When the top round is released by the interuptor so it can be chambered it no longer touches the round below it, so there's no chance of rimlock. Pretty slick those Russians :bwink:
Sorry to tell you guys but you better go recheck how these rifles feed ammo. The interuptor is not holding the lower round far enough down to stop rim lock, I just pulled one of my Russin M44's down and loaded the mag and purposely loaded the last round with the rim behind the lower round and it would not feed, period. I tried pushing the rounds down below the interuptor and releasing the top round back into place above the lower round ready to be chambered and it would not feed. I had to empty the magazine through the floor plate and reload it. When I did it worked smooth as butter. So I repeated this and it did exactly the same thing. Would not feed if I put the upper rounds rim behind the lower round.

Odd. We will have to look at that this weekend. Maybe a difference between the M44 and 91/30 mag interrupter? I can load the top round with the rim behind the other round, feeds no problem in my 91/30. But on the M44 in question, the second round is too far down for the bolt to grab. Does it with 2, 3, or 5 rounds in the mag. First one loads, next round the bolt can't catch. Wish I had the gun to try a couple of things.

I would think it would have to be something with his bolt. His M44 fed perfectly with my 91/30 bolt, and a Finn bolt he had onhand. Perhaps the bolt is worn and the interrupt is worn just enough so the bolt does not make good contact?
Last edited by Fred_G on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

I just thought of something. You know the 'decock' you can do with a Mosin? Where you slightly close the bolt, pull the trigger and the bolt closes and it is uncocked? (no, I don't do that with live ammo...) His gun with his bolt won't do that. It does not have that slight locking point between being fully open and fully closed. Is that perhaps where the interrupter is pressed, causing the next round to be ready?

Looking at my bolt, it would appear that when the bolt is fully closed, the interrupter would be pressed in, allowing a round to move up. I wish I had thought to try his bolt in my gun.
Last edited by Fred_G on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Swap the magazine assemblies, keep the same bolts and see what happens. Also note if there is any shimming of the actions.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Fred_G wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote:
pacanis wrote:I agree with Boston. When the top round is released by the interuptor so it can be chambered it no longer touches the round below it, so there's no chance of rimlock. Pretty slick those Russians :bwink:
Sorry to tell you guys but you better go recheck how these rifles feed ammo. The interuptor is not holding the lower round far enough down to stop rim lock, I just pulled one of my Russin M44's down and loaded the mag and purposely loaded the last round with the rim behind the lower round and it would not feed, period. I tried pushing the rounds down below the interuptor and releasing the top round back into place above the lower round ready to be chambered and it would not feed. I had to empty the magazine through the floor plate and reload it. When I did it worked smooth as butter. So I repeated this and it did exactly the same thing. Would not feed if I put the upper rounds rim behind the lower round.

Odd. We will have to look at that this weekend. Maybe a difference between the M44 and 91/30 mag interrupter? I can load the top round with the rim behind the other round, feeds no problem in my 91/30. But on the M44 in question, the second round is too far down for the bolt to grab. Does it with 2, 3, or 5 rounds in the mag. First one loads, next round the bolt can't catch. Wish I had the gun to try a couple of things.

I would think it would have to be something with his bolt. His M44 fed perfectly with my 91/30 bolt, and a Finn bolt he had onhand. Perhaps the bolt is worn and the interrupt is worn just enough so the bolt does not make good contact?
Same interuptor on both rifles. I'm pretty sure the receivers on both the m44s and m91/30s are all the same actually. From bolt to floorplate.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yep I think that is right.
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Little update. I have the gun, will be taking it to WeldonHunter's Saturday. My friend was using blanks to test the gun, I used surplus ammo. His bolt works fine in my 91/30, my bolt works fine in his M44. In fact, his bolt works just fine in his gun. I can feed 4 rounds through it no problem. Perhaps some difference in milsurp and blanks? The only problem I have is if I load 5 rounds into his gun. The first one will not feed. The bolt contacts about half of the rear of the bullet, but it will not chamber.

Correction. The gun works fine. I had pushed the 5'th round down too far in the magazine. I have gotten it to cycle 5 round several times, no problem. Maybe the gun likes me better...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Better tell the owner it is broken for life and you will take pity and give it a pasture to the end of its days :twisted:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Fred_G wrote:Little update. I have the gun, will be taking it to WeldonHunter's Saturday. My friend was using blanks to test the gun, I used surplus ammo. His bolt works fine in my 91/30, my bolt works fine in his M44. In fact, his bolt works just fine in his gun. I can feed 4 rounds through it no problem. Perhaps some difference in milsurp and blanks? The only problem I have is if I load 5 rounds into his gun. The first one will not feed. The bolt contacts about half of the rear of the bullet, but it will not chamber.

Correction. The gun works fine. I had pushed the 5'th round down too far in the magazine. I have gotten it to cycle 5 round several times, no problem. Maybe the gun likes me better...
I've never actually seen a blank before but if it's anything like other blank ammo it's shorter and probably has trouble contacting the feed ramp. I think you've figured it out. We'll see tomorrow. I have lots of ammo to test it with. ;)
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

desdem12 wrote:Better tell the owner it is broken for life and you will take pity and give it a pasture to the end of its days :twisted:
I will ask him if he wants to sell it. He wants guns that shoot blanks. You never know. Of course now I have played around with one, I 'need' a M44... :shock:

I should probably not tell him how smooth his formerly cranky bolt is now...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have one that i just love to shoot. It is the best one i have too. Unrefurbed 46 that just feels right and works like new. I suggest that you DO need at least one. :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

This is a mismatched 1952, but a nice looking gun. Will take a few pictures later.
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

I love the stock on this 1952 M44. Would add it to my collection in a heartbeat. No matching serial numbers, no cleaning rod... No big deal. What would be a fair price to offer the guy? Round reciever, looks like a small sickle and hammer as the makers mark. The sling I think is English, not worried about that. Nice rifling. I certainly need a M44...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Must be a romanian. I think the Russians quit in 48. Can you post a shank foto?
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

desdem12 wrote:Must be a romanian. I think the Russians quit in 48. Can you post a shank foto?
By 'shank' you mean the top of the receiver? Give me a few.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

The top of the barrel shank where all the markings are. :D
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

OK, here. Normally, I don't care about serial numbers, but this is not my gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

It is a hungarian :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Yep a nice one i think. The 02 is the hungarian country code. I have never seen a matching hungarian M44 ever. I have seen quite a few recently too. Like maybe 4 in the last month. Looks like anice stock on that one too. :D
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

So, what might a Hungarian 1952 M44 in nice shape without the cleaning rod and such fetch normally? And is it special in any way? I would think not, as during the '50s you had Korea, but not much with Hungary there.

Curious as to the value of it. But, one of my axioms of life it to always bring someone's property back in better shape than I took it in. I had to do no work to 'fix' the gun, problem was the blanks. I am borrowing it to shoot and have fun, so, it comes back clean, with a nice smooth action, and if he does not want to sell it, I can give him some history on it.