I must be cursed... Problem with me 2nd nagant

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
z31jaime

Re: I must be cursed... Problem with me 2nd nagant

Post by z31jaime »

Well I talked to the shop yesterday and they said I'm SOL. Sold as Is, but said once I clean it I can have their gunsmith look at it and they will "work with me on the price."

From NOW on I'm gonna roll around with a 7.62 x54R snap cap in my car, so if I see one I can test it before anything....LOL.

I wanted to ask though.... My M38 has black endcaps this one has bronze... what dose that mean? I assume there is a difference between the black and the bronze?
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

I really think your problem with these two rifles is a cleaning issue as I have yet to have a problem with any of my rifles as far as getting a round to chamber. The M38 really sounds like the ejector slot is caked with dried cosmoline. As to the 91/30 that rifle is a rehab and I find it hard to believe that you can't get it to chamber a round. Another possibility is your ammo, myself I only shoot hand loads so I can't really go there like our other members. My only issue to date with any Mosin I have bought is my M44 and thats getting it to group at 100 yards and I'll take credit for that problem (hell I'm sixty and the eyes are just not what they use to be). So please don't give up on this, what I wish is that one of our more experienced members were close to you and could help with all of this as a beginner you are having a real bad time of it and the shops you have dealt with are being real jerks about this.
Burrhead
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

z31jaime wrote:Well I talked to the shop yesterday and they said I'm SOL. Sold as Is, but said once I clean it I can have their gunsmith look at it and they will "work with me on the price."

From NOW on I'm gonna roll around with a 7.62 x54R snap cap in my car, so if I see one I can test it before anything....LOL.

I wanted to ask though.... My M38 has black endcaps this one has bronze... what dose that mean? I assume there is a difference between the black and the bronze?
The end caps are brass and some have them and some don't. I'd think the brass was even more scarce for the wartime issue rifles as metals were scarce and they used the metal they most likely had the most of, steel.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I have bought 6 or 7 Mosins and all have functioned after I cleaned them. One had a bent wall on the magazine which I fixed with a mallet and a wooden wedge. Don't give up. Take a deep breath and recheck. They have to have all of the cosmoline out to function at all.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

z31jaime wrote:
Black or brass endcaps don't have any meaning. The brass are probably less common. You don't see brass end caps on a lot of the later models like M44s. They were mostly pre-war features.
BostonMike

I must be cursed... Problem with me 2nd nagant

Post by BostonMike »

So does the rounds rim hang up on the reciever wall when trying to load?

How about a photo of where the round is getting stuck? A picture is worth a thousands words.

Snap caps are smaller than live roubds, so they may not catch in the same spot. Do you have spent casings to use? Try not to use live rounds in the house with a rifle you've never shot before. If there is a sear issue, it might fire as soon as you close the bolt. You never know.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
z31jaime

Post by z31jaime »

Made my way back to the forums, This 91/30 got sold a little while ago for like $80. It actually turned out to be that the "mag" didn't line up correctly with the stock/receiver. so if you left the screws on the bottom of the mag about 2 turns loose it worked fine, but the moment you tighten it up, it wouldn't shoot. It wouldn't lift the round enough and just jamb it into the feed ramp. Gunsmith wanted more than a new one would cost to fix it so I let it go cheap. my M38 is working fine, so I didn't do to bad in the deal.
Mike

Post by Mike »

z31jaime wrote:Made my way back to the forums, This 91/30 got sold a little while ago for like $80. It actually turned out to be that the "mag" didn't line up correctly with the stock/receiver. so if you left the screws on the bottom of the mag about 2 turns loose it worked fine, but the moment you tighten it up, it wouldn't shoot. It wouldn't lift the round enough and just jamb it into the feed ramp. Gunsmith wanted more than a new one would cost to fix it so I let it go cheap. my M38 is working fine, so I didn't do to bad in the deal.
A thin washer between the magazine and the woodwork would have fixed that rifle permanently. Shims between the magazine and wood are not uncommon on refurbs.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
warhawk77

Post by warhawk77 »

z31jaime wrote:Made my way back to the forums, This 91/30 got sold a little while ago for like $80. It actually turned out to be that the "mag" didn't line up correctly with the stock/receiver. so if you left the screws on the bottom of the mag about 2 turns loose it worked fine, but the moment you tighten it up, it wouldn't shoot. It wouldn't lift the round enough and just jamb it into the feed ramp. Gunsmith wanted more than a new one would cost to fix it so I let it go cheap. my M38 is working fine, so I didn't do to bad in the deal.

Sounds like a rifle I bought last year for the same price. I just fixed mine with swapping some parts off my type53 parts rifle. Sorry to hear you didn't have the same luck.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

And the gunsmith didn't recommend shims? What a jerk. :very mad: I wonder what he was going to do to it that would cost so much. Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Don't give up on these rifles. It would be nice if a fellow forum member lived close and could help you through some of these issues We have seen and documented just about everything that can go wrong with these rifles. Hang in there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
gurn

Post by gurn »

I have had just the opposite luck. Every Mosin I have ever bought has functioned just right. Some of them are hard to open the bolt after firing but no big issue.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Ok, I had problems too. Take a break, and go back to it. I had something close to this. I cleaned the whole gun. Then I found some dirt was stopping the feeding. Don't give up maybe take some pictures as you go thru the feeding and jam. Some real quick people here can catch the flaw for you. :thumbsup: Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Tcmosin

Post by Tcmosin »

Take some time and look your gun over, make sure your not trying to chamber a spent casing, most of mine will not chamber a spent casing that hasn't been re-sized. Get a bore light if you don't have one. Don't give up on these rifles, they are very basic and built to work in the worst environment you can imagine. I feel most retailers are there just to sell you the gun-game over. I'm glad that I haven't had the need to have a Gun smith work on any of my guns. As a mechanic I enjoy looking at the way things work and fixing things, kinda new to the gun collecting thing I'm learning alot about these wonderful rifles. Spending a lot more time near the gun counters in local stores and hearing the stories of the people behind them confirms my thoughts of never letting someone else do anything to my guns that can do myself. I'm no expert but having some machining skills and tools I feel I can fix most anything I have. Learning new stuff is all part of it, and don't trust that guy that seems to be just a little to anxious to get his hands on your gun. Hey that could be a good political joke. :pointleft:
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
George Washington
z31jaime

Post by z31jaime »

Guys thanks for the helpful suggestions but please read the last post I made on this....

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

z31jaime wrote:Guys thanks for the helpful suggestions but please read the last post I made on this....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt