Discussion on a Yugo 98/48

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
SSGTSemperFi

Re: Discussion on a Yugo 98/48

Post by SSGTSemperFi »

Apologies again for the extended nature of my replies.

FFL was willing to do the transfer directly to my name, so the ten day waiting period has begun. Should be able to pick her up on the 23'rd at which point, i'll tear her down and see if I can find any more info about her.
Any suggestions on what, or where I should be looking? I'll try to grab some pictures to throw up here, the collective here is going to far surpass my knowledge nearly instantly ;P
The only markings I was able to see off-hand (without a teardown) was the Yugo crest on the receiver, and the import marks just aft of the front sight (which did denote Zastava as the plant of origin).
SSGTSemperFi

Post by SSGTSemperFi »

So, i've got her home, grabbed some (less than stellar quality) pictures

Gallery can be found here:

Any knowledgeable people mind helping me decipher these markings?
  • 1. Handguard, stamped "5000"
    2. -
    3. Cleaning rod(?) block, stamped with what appears to be a "P"
    4. The stock under the action, very faintly stamped with what appears to be an "8", rear pillar also appears to be bedded with a metal rod
    5. Front of the trigger guard/mag inlet, stamped with what appears to be a "6" or a "9"
    6. Stock marking that appears to be either an "H" or a "K", rests under the ejector housing
    7. Rear tang inlet, marked with a "00"
    8. Barrel raceway, marked "7844"
    9. Barrel marked with "14 5" and several other marks (I apologize, i'll try to get better pictures when I can find my camera)
    10. Trigger unit and trigger marked with a Waffenamt (?) and the numbers 823 or 825 below it
    11. Several markings on the underside of the receiver
    12. Very faint Waffenamt (?) under the rear sight
    13.Waffenamt (?) and "86" on the rear sight
    14. "K" and a very murky serial on the rear sight housing
    15. Yugo Crest
    16. -
Receiver and bolt body match, firing pin does not. buttplate is not numbered everything else doesn't match. assuming handguard and stock numbers above are serialized markings
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I didn't see a pic of the left side rail but the stock is original german and the number inside is german. Whether it matches the action is another thing. It is a Yugo scrubbed k98 or 98/48 and the price was not to bad
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
JER

Post by JER »

For the life of me, I can't understand why this thread has gone on and on. All the Yugo 98/40's I've encountered have struck me as cheap, poorly manufactured and finished and really hideously grindy on the action. In short, just a junk non-collector's cast-off. Unless you are absolutely on the bottom rung of desperation trying to acquire a Mauser-like artifact on the cheap...what gives? Seriously. Has "collecting" sunk so low? Sheesh..
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

What he has is a reworked German K98. Hardly bottom rung junk. What gives??? Sheeesh. Lighten up.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SSGTSemperFi

Post by SSGTSemperFi »

JER wrote:For the life of me, I can't understand why this thread has gone on and on. All the Yugo 98/40's I've encountered have struck me as cheap, poorly manufactured and finished and really hideously grindy on the action. In short, just a junk non-collector's cast-off. Unless you are absolutely on the bottom rung of desperation trying to acquire a Mauser-like artifact on the cheap...what gives? Seriously. Has "collecting" sunk so low? Sheesh..
Considering that this is primarily a Mosin forum, I think it's a far stretch to complain about a gritty action... ;P.

Having not encountered a true 98/48, I can't speak for them... that said, this action does run like butter. My research has turned up very little in complaints similar to yours, however. Although a very large majority of the bluing is gone (arguably giving it that well-used look - regardless, it's one that I really do like) it has a very solid fit and finish. The only issue being that the extractor does have some very mild pitting nearest to the rear locking lug. Everything was well polished, machining marks were turned down, smoothed out, wood has vey limited damage, and what is there, is mostly handling marks you'd expect from a weapon of war. Again, though, this being the RMNF, a very large chunk of mosin's have famously (infamously?) ((notoriously?)) rough finishes. Were this forum to exist only for the very best of the best, there'd be what... five?... six? topics around.

You might also take notice that it's not myself who purchased it. It was transferred to me as a token of appreciation and/or Christmas/birthday present. I don't claim myself to be a collector. I buy my rifles (at least at this point in time) to use. Not a single rifle, handgun, shotgun, or otherwise that i've purchased up until this point has been anything but. Now, some day i'll buy some wall hangers for my man cave, but at this moment, a collector I am not. What i'm interested in is proficient shooters. something that can hit point of aim with some semblance of reliability. it remains to be seen if she is, but my expectations are that she will be.

You're completely entitled to your opinion and belief, but that doesn't make it fact. As far as investments go, as well, these things are only going up in price as time rolls by. What something is worth, and what it costs are two different entities. A true 98k might or might not be worth the $1,000+ mark that they demand, but at this point in time, it's not a cost that I can afford.... hence why I don't own one. Same goes for a 1903, a Garand, or an Enfield.
dou44

Post by dou44 »

nothing wrong with a Yugo rework . I have acouple of them in my k98 collection and they still shoot great. some can be found in better shape than non reworked k98's
JER

Post by JER »

Ok, for the purpose of holding decorum, I retract everything...