M39 Mosin-Nagant's for 350.00 at Classic Firearms

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
zeebill

Re: M39 Mosin-Nagant's for 350.00 at Classic Firearms

Post by zeebill »

Hmmm Burns has "competition" selling common Sako and VKT for $350 which is about what Burns was trying to get? Well their beating the drums louder than Burns so they get free advertisement and more people wanting the product I would guess. Well the plot thickens I guess? Kind of turns the gears in the mind of people wanting another M39 huh? Timing could not be worse as the Milsurp market is flat as a pancake in my view now other than the uber rare ones coming along lately. I recently did $20 in total business at a 3 day show down here in WV where coal and the plants it fired is dying fast and the diminished demand for oil is killing the exploration with a glut of gas to boot. Putting money into house for the future sale points so I am not a rich man right now either. Oh well we will have fun guessing where they came from for sure and what this means for Burns and if there will be more available.

Many misstatements in the video like haven't been available for 20 years (maybe he meant not available to him to sell to us) what does he consider Burns having them and selling them? I would say they had about 2000+ there so if many people bite at a very poorly described M39 of generic description and flat $350 priced regardless of what you got you are not supposed to complain or take recourse for being disappointed in what you got he is sort of off on what the reaction should be. We will doubtlessly see a large amount of people swearing up and down they got a great deal and not to be afraid of the uncertainty of what you will get but I like the descriptions Burns gave better than what he does. Frankly the M39 was a great concept for the Finnish army but today there are many other rifles that are better buys for the future and will shoot just as good. Time will tell I guess. None of my money is going that way as I have a safe full of M39's of specific model and a couple for sale at better prices and some with nicer slings too. One Florida dealer sold slings of that quality for many years at 10 for $15 and less at times. I bought hundreds of them over the years and they clean up pretty nice after some work and time. Bill
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Part of the serious value of this site is the analysis of the "vets." While I don't always agree, I weigh what they say.

And yes, it's kind of fun to try to unravel "The Mystery of the Classic M39s." :shifty:

zeebill raises many good points, but one of the most salient is about the state of the market, which is applicable to the entire economy. Those of us who do not live on Olympus (that is, the rarified air inside the DC Beltway) know what is happening. You see it all around. The statements of those who say they can't afford to buy are more than idle remarks.

The rifles shown on camera look nice, but yes, it's mainly luck as to what one will receive, and I did note the ample disclaimers.
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

djbuck1 wrote:Part of the serious value of this site is the analysis of the "vets." While I don't always agree, I weigh what they say.

And yes, it's kind of fun to try to unravel "The Mystery of the Classic M39s." :shifty:

zeebill raises many good points, but one of the most salient is about the state of the market, which is applicable to the entire economy. Those of us who do not live on Olympus (that is, the rarified air inside the DC Beltway) know what is happening. You see it all around. The statements of those who say they can't afford to buy are more than idle remarks.

The rifles shown on camera look nice, but yes, it's mainly luck as to what one will receive, and I did note the ample disclaimers.
Agreed. I liked that fact that I could see pictures of the actual rifle I was getting and was able to pick one out that actually spoke to me.
Why would Pat sell some large quantity at a large discount when she could just about get full price all day long?

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1943 Shirley Enfield No 4 MK 1
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

zeebill

Post by zeebill »

ParrotHead wrote:
djbuck1 wrote:
Agreed. I liked that fact that I could see pictures of the actual rifle I was getting and was able to pick one out that actually spoke to me.
Why would Pat sell some large quantity at a large discount when she could just about get full price all day long?
Because what she has and how she sells them is not fast enough to support the organization she has operating the business so maybe a quick sale to a large volume business that is run like a used car business to keep her afloat and maybe stir interest? I like everyone else am just guessing but with all the negative press on things in the past and doubt about what one is getting and what has been done to it before you get it I don't see a volume over there that would support too much infrastructure do you? I mean I see stuff leaving the picture with a certain serial and later coming back again with a different write-up and price. Just the general business picture in Milsurps is not good and I see first hand how depressed the market is right now. They all have got to be hurting a bit for sure. Bill :wink:
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

zeebill wrote:
ParrotHead wrote:
djbuck1 wrote:
Because what she has and how she sells them is not fast enough to support the organization she has operating the business so maybe a quick sale to a large volume business that is run like a used car business to keep her afloat and maybe stir interest? I like everyone else am just guessing but with all the negative press on things in the past and doubt about what one is getting and what has been done to it before you get it I don't see a volume over there that would support too much infrastructure do you? I mean I see stuff leaving the picture with a certain serial and later coming back again with a different write-up and price. Just the general business picture in Milsurps is not good and I see first hand how depressed the market is right now. They all have got to be hurting a bit for sure. Bill :wink:
Guess I didn't realize the milsurp market was that much in the tank. Everyone I talk to or see on different groups always complains about not being able to even find a common 91/30 refurb anywhere.

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1943 Shirley Enfield No 4 MK 1
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Common refurb M91/30s are available, but no one wants to pay the asking price. I saw two at an LGS last weekend: 1943 Izhevsks for around $215. I'll bet they're still there. Look at how long those last two sat on Burns' site, even with free shipping. And one of those was $179. Another seller has two nice 1938 Tulas in laminate stocks just sitting there at $225/230, and that's with all the "extras" we used to get (bayonet, oiler, sling, ammo pouch, tool kit).

I'm beginning to think that people are too lazy to look, but again I agree with zeebill that in many cases the money is no longer there.

On the other hand, if they're just waiting for $100 Mosins to come back at Cabela's, they'd better pack a lunch.
jwaller5

Post by jwaller5 »

Help a newbie brother out. What is all this talk of a burns guy? Is there a thread with history on how he got all of them?
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

Burns is a woman and she's not selling any rifles right now.

http://www.gunsnammo.com/
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

TheMaineEvent wrote:Burns is a woman and she's not selling any rifles right now.

Correct, but the husband ran the business before her.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

djbuck1 wrote:
TheMaineEvent wrote:Burns is a woman and she's not selling any rifles right now.

Correct, but the husband ran the business before her.
Well, the business is not being "run" by Pat (a woman). It was being run by Bill Burns her son, so technically, it is being run by a man. But who cares. And who cares where Classic got them. If you want a M39 at a lower price, I'd buy one now.

Only down side I see is, .......... you don't get to see the rifle you are buying. But at that lower price, maybe for some that is not as important. (and you don't know if they are a "antique" or not). But then on the other hand, You will probably be the first to take that baby apart in many many years.

Hey, buy them all at $350 and store them for 20 plus years. You'll make a pretty good profit I'll bet. :bonk:

I paid less then this for mine (when I got them) and I have enough for now, so they are all yours! :thumbsup:

Dolk
gopedxr7

Post by gopedxr7 »

so tempting.

who is Pat Burns?
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The market has proven that the newer prices of 200+ is not a problem for buyers that want one. Maybe not for a collector who wants to pack away ever single year, arsenal, and anything else they can think of. This is a hobby of collectors that suffer from OCD. I admit I am OCD also. :) ok, so you like em. So you have to have 90 of each model. I haven't really seen too much in the conversations yet about ammo but that seems to be drying up as we speak. Hardly anyone has any large quantities of surplus x54r and the ones that do are selling it at 130.00 plus per 440 round spam can. It is simple to see that Classic has bought out Pat Burns. Gunsnammo.com had only had a few 91/30 rifles for sale as of late and even the site says there won't be any more for "awhile".
Remiel

Post by Remiel »

bunkysdad wrote:The market has proven that the newer prices of 200+ is not a problem for buyers that want one. Maybe not for a collector who wants to pack away ever single year, arsenal, and anything else they can think of. This is a hobby of collectors that suffer from OCD. I admit I am OCD also. :) ok, so you like em. So you have to have 90 of each model. I haven't really seen too much in the conversations yet about ammo but that seems to be drying up as we speak. Hardly anyone has any large quantities of surplus x54r and the ones that do are selling it at 130.00 plus per 440 round spam can. It is simple to see that Classic has bought out Pat Burns. Gunsnammo.com had only had a few 91/30 rifles for sale as of late and even the site says there won't be any more for "awhile".
Bulk ammo.com is up to 204.00 a can for 54r, 175.00 locally here in my area, getting to be a pain and castin 'n reloadin are lookin better and better
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I didn't do a careful count but I was thinking around 1400 rifles. The Gaylords each held 120 and I saw them numbered up to "10" , although one of those may have been the sling box. There were maybe ten cases of 20. I would go back and check more carefully, but I don't think I could stand watching it twice. I am glad I don't feel that I need another M-39, but I do think that the prices are fine, unless he is stiffing folks on shipping.

It is funny to me, that in the six or seven years that I have had a strong interest in Mosin rifles the cost of the common 91/30s have tripled, but the M-39s have remained about the same. I do not believe that that trend will hold once the bulk of the primary market has passed. Is this the beginning of the end? Who knows, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I know a man who spent 20 grand buying piles of US M1903's, M1 Garands, and M1 carbines when they were selling for under $200 in bulk. So far as I know he is still sitting on them and that 20g is at least triple that now if he sold, probably more. There are people who buy like that, you just need the capital to invest and a safe place to store the investment.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

SA1911a1 wrote:I didn't do a careful count but I was thinking around 1400 rifles. The Gaylords each held 120 and I saw them numbered up to "10" , although one of those may have been the sling box. There were maybe ten cases of 20. I would go back and check more carefully, but I don't think I could stand watching it twice. I am glad I don't feel that I need another M-39, but I do think that the prices are fine, unless he is stiffing folks on shipping.

It is funny to me, that in the six or seven years that I have had a strong interest in Mosin rifles the cost of the common 91/30s have tripled, but the M-39s have remained about the same. I do not believe that that trend will hold once the bulk of the primary market has passed. Is this the beginning of the end? Who knows, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Shipping was $20 for me. Should be in Wednesday but I won't get to pick it up till Thursday or Friday.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

djbuck1 wrote:Part of the serious value of this site is the analysis of the "vets." While I don't always agree, I weigh what they say.

I noted the casual way the big boxes were packed, for rifles of this value. Wonder if there will be a scratch and dent sale after the initial offering, or if you get a banged around one for base price. Note: He may have addressed that in the video. I had to turn the sound off, and only watched.
tractor357

Post by tractor357 »

Hi folks. this is my first post. I watched the video and counted five columns of twenty serial numbers on the sheets that were on top of each crate. I thought there were about 16 crates with twenty each. So I was figuring around 1100 or so rifles. I tried to order a Sako with hand select, but my FFL had to resend his license to Classic. By the time he did that and it was up on the web site, I had missed out. So I ordered the hand select VKT instead. I already have two Sako M39 and a VKT M91 so the VKT MC39 will fit right in. In the last hour the VKT hand select has sold out. I will probably order another when I get paid next week if there are any left.
351mustang65

Post by 351mustang65 »

Wanted to get one but slept on it and now I see this. Update 11:52 P.M. EST Friday 09/11/15 - As of now we are out of both the Sako and VKT rifles that we had pre-graded as hand select and ready to sell. There will be more hand selects in the future, however, with the volume of orders we have received we are not sure when we will be able to grade more rifles or re-post the hand select rifles as an option. We simply feel that we are obligated to fill all existing orders first before grading more rifles. In the interim, standard grade rifles are still available but are going fast. We appreciate your business.

I know a lot of guys think the hand select is a waste of money but with a rifle like this I don't really want to take the chance.
351mustang65

Post by 351mustang65 »

Standard SAKO Manufacture out of stock since I posted that so probably bottom of the barrel (or in this case gaylord) stuff now.

- Update 12:50 A.M. EST Saturday 09/12/15 - As of now we are out stock on the Sako Standard Grade and both the Sako and VKT rifles that we had pre-graded as hand select and ready to sell. There will be more of all of these in the future, however, with the volume of orders we have received we are not sure when we will be able to grade more rifles or re-post the different rifles as an option. We simply feel that we are obligated to fill all existing orders first before grading more rifles. In the interim, standard grade VKT rifles are still available but are going fast. We appreciate your business.