Korean War Bringback M91/30 $1,525

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Titanium Hammer

Re: Korean War Bringback M91/30 $1,525

Post by Titanium Hammer »

bunkysdad wrote:Hey I quit slam eating Spam some time ago! I remember it well too. A whole can of Spam at lunch cold, not fried, and even made couple sandwiches with the first half. Then all of a sudden I didn't feel so good! :(:(:(:P
I was wondering what "slam eating Spam" was. Now was this episode of slam eating followed by a case of "SKS slam firing" regurgitation? :chuckles:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I think he wishes it was just throwing up :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Eating the spam is like eating at Mcdonalds,a half hour later,your making your way to the restroom.
I think it keeps JYD regular. :lol:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

pgaplayerless wrote:I'm no expert at these "papers" but my main issue was, other then the obvious spelling errors, the fact the paper appears to be "typed to order"...as in made on a typewritter....yet it was typed up horribly crooked and without any of the soldier or rifle info.

Seems if somebody had to type up the certificate on the spot they would correct the off-squared paper as soon as they noticed it and they would already had the soldiers and rifles' information to enter so no need for handwritting that in. It's not like it's scanned copy where somebody place the original in the copier crooked and then ran off million copies.
My thought exactly. If anything the Government does is to be trusted, it is the fact they take pride in paperwork. This is shoddy 5th grade sluff work.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I very rarely look at or am I interested in bring backs or captured rifles with or without paperwork as I find them entirely too suspect in oh so many ways. It just simplifies my collecting and keeps some of the questions of what I own and collect from being too questionable. I don't need the fears of paying $1500+ for something that could be bogus in my life. It is just that simple! I know personally far too many people who for a fact have specialized in selling just those kinds of things for large profits for many years into their old age. Needless to say I buy little or nothing from them but I still ask council and treat them with respect for I know at this age what they do requires some big bXXXs and that alone demands respect. I don't say what they do is right but I am afraid it is a part of collecting and life in general.

One thing to remember on this subject is you are only responsible for your principles and can do little about others way of life and principles. Just keeping that in mind can keep you out of trouble! Bill ;mywink;
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

shoto2758 wrote:Eating the spam is like eating at Mcdonalds,a half hour later,your making your way to the restroom.
I haven't had MacDonald's in months, they tore down ours, and are rebuilding it at a snails pace. I opened that building in 1973, third customer in line after the county supervisor and the Sheriff. Big Mac, fries, and a Coke was what I had. I am very upset that they tore down such a historic building that so far as I saw had nothing at all wrong with it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Replaced shined up stock on a Spanish civil war rifle. I think the number falls in line. A lot of these were sportered and very easily it could have been put in a new shiny stock :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
martin08

Post by martin08 »

I have personally met with the seller and viewed specimens of his extensive documented collection. I saw and heard nothing in that meeting to suggest that he was anything but one of the most knowledgeable and studied collectors and historians of Korean and Vietnam War militaria.

If he says that there is a Veteran testimonial, then there is one.

I do not recall this particular piece.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I looked at that rifle and said SCW to myself and then asked myself, "hummmm, how did it get from Spain to Korea?" Or from one of the Balkan states? Then.... WAIT A MINUTE! No frig'in way.... How many companies came out of Chosin with 11 men left out of a company? And they are carting a "captured" rifle? This is paperwork? I'll have to go and check the winner out... :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2:
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

For those who care, this serial number falls into a range in my survey of only Soviet refurb rifles. After serial number 120807, there are only refurbished or Finn captured rifles listed. Not a single SCW marked rifle.

While my survey is obviously nothing concrete, I still find it interesting that there isn't a single SCW rifle after that number I mentioned. I honestly don't believe that the rifle is a formerly sporterized SCW rifle. However, who's to say if it's an honest bringback or not. Certainly not me, haha!
A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

martin08 wrote:I have personally met with the seller and viewed specimens of his extensive documented collection. I saw and heard nothing in that meeting to suggest that he was anything but one of the most knowledgeable and studied collectors and historians of Korean and Vietnam War militaria.

I bought my neighbors WW2 M1 carbine out of his upstairs bedroom closet after cleaning it for him. He said it had not seen the light of day since he was in his twenties. I shot it and held it in my collection for a few years. I sold it to raise money after he died because it always made me melancholy to shoot and hold at the range. Joe had raised two or three kids and was a great guy in many ways. It went to a very knowledgeable friend who collects only US weapons. It had been an early model with the old rear peep sight and no bayonet mount. Maybe a year later I was talking to the buyer and he said it had a repro peep sight on it and after more questioning on my part yeah he was positive and he showed me how he was so positive. Now why would a WW2 vet of obvious good stock lie about a rear sight or not know about it? In my eyes so much for Vet Testimonials! Another reason why I don't listen to stories but just judge the weapon! Bill :o
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

zeebill wrote:
martin08 wrote:I have personally met with the seller and viewed specimens of his extensive documented collection. I saw and heard nothing in that meeting to suggest that he was anything but one of the most knowledgeable and studied collectors and historians of Korean and Vietnam War militaria.

I bought my neighbors WW2 M1 carbine out of his upstairs bedroom closet after cleaning it for him. He said it had not seen the light of day since he was in his twenties. I shot it and held it in my collection for a few years. I sold it to raise money after he died because it always made me melancholy to shoot and hold at the range. Joe had raised two or three kids and was a great guy in many ways. It went to a very knowledgeable friend who collects only US weapons. It had been an early model with the old rear peep sight and no bayonet mount. Maybe a year later I was talking to the buyer and he said it had a repro peep sight on it and after more questioning on my part yeah he was positive and he showed me how he was so positive. Now why would a WW2 vet of obvious good stock lie about a rear sight or not know about it? In my eyes so much for Vet Testimonials! Another reason why I don't listen to stories but just judge the weapon! Bill :o
I'm not a psychologist, but this is a fairly common occurence. People make up stories. They do it for a variety of reasons, such as to conform to what they wish the story really was. If a story is old enough and has been told enough, even the teller may think it's the truth. I'm sure there must be a clinical name for this.

Having followed a military avocation for some 25 years, I have lots of stories. Heck, if you've lived much past 50 you have lots of stories. I may even embroider or exaggerate (or downplay) details for the benefit of the audience. This is (for the most part) harmless.

I do not, however, make up stories about weapons, and that is because I am a serious collector.

The rear peep sight story may be annoying, but it is not in the same league as the obvious fraud associated with the listing that started this thread.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

In racing we have an old saying that I am finding is truer the older I get! The older I get, the faster I was! :lol: Bill
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
shoto2758 wrote:Eating the spam is like eating at Mcdonalds,a half hour later,your making your way to the restroom.
I haven't had MacDonald's in months, they tore down ours, and are rebuilding it at a snails pace. I opened that building in 1973, third customer in line after the county supervisor and the Sheriff. Big Mac, fries, and a Coke was what I had. I am very upset that they tore down such a historic building that so far as I saw had nothing at all wrong with it.
They tore down the old McDonalds in my home town. Then built a new on on the same lot about 50 feet back.

I don't think they needed a new building, but the staff wasn't the brightest and best at cleaning so they had developed a bug problem. It was probably cheaper to tear it down and start over.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Modern buildings are infinitely more efficient, and then there must be tax advantages, etc....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

MacDonald's is bringing the building into line with the current corporate image, there was nothing wrong with the old building, it was clean, well managed, and serving 1000's or people a day. It just looked like a 1970's MacDonald's. The M1 carbine was first reproduced in the 1950's, as were many parts for it. It's very possible that the former owner could have replaced the sight 50 years ago and simply forgotten. I have seen some crappy installation jobs done by the military when they changed over to the adjustable rear sights during and after WW2, one I recall was not properly staked and would fall off the weapon. Remember that all the carbines started out with the simple flip sight, he may have found it easier and cheaper to simply use one when he had to fix the sight. The original carbine didn't have a bayonet lug, if you see a carbine without the bayonet mount look at the wear pattern on the barrel, you may see the ghost outline of were the longer band had been before it was removed in favor of the original style band. That is something I have seen more than once, not fraud involved but reenactors creating original style weapons for themselves.
Theodore Roosevelt
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

pgaplayerless wrote:http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =417236001

Not sure if many spotted this one but feel free to discuss. I can't comment on the authenticity of the "papers"
Hay, I've got a couple of bridges for sale w/ significant documentation. :thumbsup:
One is the Brooklyn bridge and the other is the other is the Bridge over the River Thames. :vcool:
Plus only this week special some spectacular water front property in Florida @ low tide w/ views. :devil2:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Joeinthehills wrote:
pgaplayerless wrote:http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =417236001

Not sure if many spotted this one but feel free to discuss. I can't comment on the authenticity of the "papers"
Hay, I've got a couple of bridges for sale w/ significant documentation. :thumbsup:
One is the Brooklyn bridge and the other is the other is the Bridge over the River Thames. :vcool:
Plus only this week special some spectacular water front property in Florida @ low tide w/ views. :devil2:
Be nice Joe! :lol: Some people delight in these gambles (in my mind) and actually become experts in them. Besides Joe everyone knows the one over the Thames has already been sold and relocated out in the American west somewhere. Bill :lol: