My shoulder is killing me today.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
TopperT

Re: My shoulder is killing me today.

Post by TopperT »

...maybe the "ballistic" tarp material stops High Power rounds............... :ugeek:

I have NEVER seen a range where a shooter with a LOADED weapon is BEHIND other shooters........THAT caught my eye asap :big shock: .

Here is our Club Range in Tiverton RI. ALL stations are in line and the range is fully baffled. There are 9 rifle benches and four pistol lanes with target trolley's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

qz2026 wrote:Whoa... that's a lot of rounds off the bench. Can understand why the shoulder is hurting. Nice range BTW :vcool: Still too cold and too much snow here. -8 as I look at the thermometer. Your shoulder may hurt but at least you are out shooting :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I actually just joined the range. This was my first time shooting there.

I still have a lot to work on. Holding it, aiming it etc. I don't have much meat on me. So there is no natural padding there. When I stand to shoot it never hurts but only when I'm sitting does it. I switched from a bench to a folding chair that was about 4 inches lower and it made a world of difference. I knew I was on the taller side but it made me feel like a giant
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

After the first few thousand rounds you will loosen up and no longer notice recoil in any .30 rifle. :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

Ha I don't notice really any recoil in most things but I'm most certinally doing something wrong with my bench shooting
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Could be the way you are leaning into it when shooting from the bench.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

It could be. I have tried to find videos on you tube about bench shooting position but no luck
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

I joined an indoor range. Which is good for pistols, mainly. they have 2 rifle lanes, 25 yards. The affiliated Country club range has four 100 yard lanes. But they want 3 times the dues.

One thing to remember about bench shooting. You tend to lean down and into the rifle which positions the butt higher against your shoulder. If you fire from the standing, sitting, or kneeling position your shoulder is more perpendicular to the butt. So in effect you are concentrating more of the recoil against a smaller profile of your body.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

Thats not a normal amount?

Of course I used to shoot a case of 10ga ammo from September - November on ducks

And I'm 6'5 350# born in Wisconsin and raised in Iowa so I am built to handle abuse lol.

I can't wait for temps in tje warm
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

10 Gauge? How come you weren't using an 8 Gauge? :)
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Misfit, I get the same thing, much more noticeable recoil from the bench. The trade off is better accuracy. When standing your body acts more like a shock absorber than a backstop!
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

I was gonna hit the range today but there is a funeral so I'll probably just go tomorrow. I didn't try standing up to hit out to 100 yards. I have shaky hands do I doubt I would hit anything.

I definitely notice I work more as a large recoil spring from shooting my shotguns
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Padded shooting coat should solve the problem or either a lead sled so your shoulder doesn't take the pounding.

That's why the US military used to issue shooting coats for qualification, but there again they issued cotton for hearing protection... :vcool:
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

I've been looking into them but to find one for a left hander sucks. I like one I saw in a video that you just strap on so I could use it in the summer
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Misfit wrote:I've been looking into them but to find one for a left hander sucks. I like one I saw in a video that you just strap on so I could use it in the summer
Google is your friend.

Here is what you are looking for. I found it on Cabela's

Left hand shooting pad - harness
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
grgmini

Post by grgmini »

TopperT wrote:http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn28 ... 4B11B8.png

The above picture concerns me.....A LOT..........the idea that someone is BEHIND me (off to the side but still behind) and holding a LOADED firearm is at best, disconcerting......I don't mean to rain on any parade but that range picture is crazy IMHO.......

It would seem that way. The fact that they kept the muzzles pointing downrange helped. That lane is also angled slightly to the left, so the perspective in the picture appears more haphazard than it really is.
1945 Izhevsk M44
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

jones0430 wrote:
Misfit wrote:I've been looking into them but to find one for a left hander sucks. I like one I saw in a video that you just strap on so I could use it in the summer
Google is your friend.

Here is what you are looking for. I found it on Cabela's

Left hand shooting pad - harness
That is exactly what I want. Sure beats putting a glove under my jacket
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Glove under the jacket, that's a new twist. Used to be the little kid would put the baseball glove down the back of his pants just before he got a wippin with the belt :) The Good Old Days .
Theodore Roosevelt
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

Hey now don't knock the glove technique till you try it. Went out to the range again today. I'll upload a short video I took after dinner
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

Scratch that I just uploaded it.

http://youtu.be/KiksA_JL5zg