1942 M39 SKY

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1942 M39 SKY

Post by bunkysdad »

Another Finn that I have has been numbered and lined out more than once.
cep89

Post by cep89 »

So this gun would be considered Finnish matched (bolt # matches reciever number). I think it says a lot about the skill of the people putting the guns together that they could take parts from various guns and build one more accurate than the donors.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but when I was looking for this gun I just wanted a high power long range accurate gun. The whole looking into the history of it is a really cool part of it that I did not expect. Right now I'm reading a book titled "frozen hell" about the winter war between Russia and Finland.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

The first M39 I got many years ago was almost enough to make me only collect M39's. They were about $100 out the door or less back in the days before Burns cornered the market and bought all the ones that were left. They control the market now and like as not will till the end of the amount they have left. All the ones you see at other dealers were wholesaled from them. They are neat guns and for the most part all shoot just great with very few even having counterbores. I think the only Finnish rifle that equals and in certain cases may surpass them is the Finnish made 28/30 which are also getting pricey because of their lower numbers being mostly only available from private collectors. You may see them online but they rightly command higher prices than the M39.

The question is often asked about how many there may be left of M39's and I and others frankly do not know but I would bet that sooner or later there will be wild comments and high sales prices of the last of them which I would also bet will last a couple of years. Time will tell I guess and for sure I may not be around to see it happen which won't hurt my feelings at all! :lol: Good Luck and enjoy shooting your rifle. Bill :D